Interpretation of "The fear of blood

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Rule of Rose
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Rule of Rose »

I think it means that if you fear blood, you'll fear wounds to the flesh ..... maybe it refers to what happens to Lisa Garland at the end :cry: ??
She said her blood turns to ash
Burning eyes can't forgive you
Howling moon drives on
And deep in me
Your illusion
What you see in me
setsuna_PT
Just Passing Through

Post by setsuna_PT »

The Adversary wrote:Blood = life
Flesh = death

The fear of life results in the fear of death; the fear of life results in the fear of living.

uhmm i think this one is the more correct... because sh1 goes around of being alive and living... protecting, loving...
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,setsuna-unl-PT.png[/img][/url]
... kimi wa hikari... boku wa kage...
flown
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by flown »

The fear of what's hidden tends to create fear for the surface...
What means as much as; it takes courage to get the truth.
Long before the existence of Silent Hill, the ground there was seen as sacred by native americans and it was the place where rituals occured...

[img]http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss323/vollublevolar/homecoming-1-5-1-1.jpg[/img]
LanceS133
Historical Society Historian

Post by LanceS133 »

^ I like that one.
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
valiturus

Post by valiturus »

To me, "the fear for blood tends to create the fear for flesh" means that if you fear death, you will eventually start to fear life (or living) itself, as well.
SHACKled89451
Gravedigger

Post by SHACKled89451 »

Xigz wrote:I always thought it was pretty lame an shallow. An overrated saying.

Though I like Adversary's thinking.
And what makes you think that it's "lame and shallow"? Or overrated for that matter? If your going to attack this statment, at least explain why...
revalations 23:16
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

He just doesn't agree that "The fear of the blood tends to create for the flesh" is as awesome of a statement as some people make it out to be. I wouldn't say that's a vicious affront on the game or saying.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
SHACKled89451
Gravedigger

Post by SHACKled89451 »

Mockingbird wrote:He just doesn't agree that "The fear of the blood tends to create for the flesh" is as awesome of a statement as some people make it out to be. I wouldn't say that's a vicious affront on the game or saying.
quite so.. as to the "overrated" staement... but "lame" and "shallow" tell me thats not a little bit of an "affront" on the saying...
revalations 23:16
PrescitedEntity
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by PrescitedEntity »

...I don't understand either the cause-effect line of thought or the idea that blood = life and flesh = death, and it's mostly because the phrase "fear for" means to worry over. The "for" here has the definition of "used as a function word to indicate the object or recipient of a perception, desire, or activity", according to MW dictionary, the perception here being "fear".

To clarify, if it's not just shoddy English, in the phrase "a fear for flesh", "flesh" is the recipient of "fear for" - concern or worry. That is, grammatically speaking, it's a concern or worry over "flesh".

When I first looked at the sentence, my first thought was that it would be a fear of what causes it, but that couldn't make sense with the definition of "fear for". Replacement of words in the notion that blood = life and flesh = death doesn't seem to make sense either, since then it'd mean death is the recipient of "worrying over" - not you or anyone in death.

I guess it might be clearer just to illustrate the difference using other sentences.

I have a fear of you. = You frighten me. I have a fear for you. = I'm worried over you. Drastically different, aren't they?

Because of this, I figured "flesh" is, according to MW dictionary:
3 a: the physical nature of human beings; b: human nature 4 a: human beings : humankind;
Therefore, a fear of blood [pain, literal blood, what-have-you] tends to create a worry over mankind, or the body, or human nature. And it explains the "tends to" - because while a fear of pain tends to make you sympathize/empathize with others and not want to let hurt come to them (like Cybil and Harry, and perhaps Alessa), that's not always the case, as people like Dahlia are more than willing to hurt others/mankind for their own causes. With human nature, it'd be that a fear of all that's tied with blood can make one fearful of what others can do to hurt you.

Ah, I don't know. Maybe I'm just really confused, ha...
WisHouse
Just Passing Through

Post by WisHouse »

nur_ein_tier wrote:yeah, i don't think there is too much to be read into it.
Yup, meh too
Fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh!!?
Godsbane
Just Passing Through

Post by Godsbane »

It seemed fairly simple to me.

When you see blood, and you're afraid, what are you afraid of?

People are afraid of blood, not because they think the blood is going to get them (unless you're in John Carpenter's "The Thing"). They fear that whatever spilled this blood could hurt me too! It's a basic instinct.

Oh crap! Blood! Get back! Be on your guard!

You fear for your flesh...

But that's the literal meaning. What is it a metaphor for? What is it's subliminal meaning?

:lol:

Maybe one way to look at it is this. Imagine you woke up tomorrow and the streets were awash with blood. Nobody in sight, just blood, everywhere!

What would you be scared of? All that blood? Or would you be scared of where the hell all the people are? What has happened to all the flesh that used to contain all that blood?

The question is, do you fear for them, for their flesh? Or do you fear what that flesh looks like now?
Lemex
Gravedigger

Post by Lemex »

Fear of what is on the inside (thoughts) creates a fear of what is on the outside (Humanity in general.)
Scanman22
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Scanman22 »

Exactly as the posts above state. You fear your own blood being spilled, so you fear others because they can spill your blood.
- Member of the Order -
~ The Sect of Valtiel ~
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

I thought I gave my two profound cents on this one, but no.

So, I've taken it in a literal sense:

"The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh".

Blood is ubiquitous, obviously. Everyone's got a few gallons coursing through them. It's a vital component of our biology.

And, the sight of it often makes us squeamish. The term is haemophobia, literally, the fear of blood.

Fears of this nature can be as debilitating in potential as in application. The very thought of being in a high place can terrify someone with acrophobia. Just looking at spiders can arouse arachnophobia, even if the spider is dead, or harmless. It's the fear of being in the situation, and this is why it manifests before the situation occurs. It's sort of an irrational mental preventative.

Why do we fear the sight of blood? Because blood on its own can be terrible to look at, but the last thing anyone wants is to see their own blood. After all, if we're seeing our own blood, it probably means that we've suffered some kind of injury. And seeing it in quantity is worse, because it means that the injury is severe, possibly to the point of fatal. What more ultimate a nightmare could there be than to see a geyser of blood erupting from one of your own arteries?

We fear blood, and because we do, we fear for the integrity of our own flesh.

To put it in a broader metaphor: Seeing something terrible makes us instinctively try to prevent anything that can allow it to happen to us, or as the case may be, to those for whom we would sacrifice our lives to protect. This is Harry's basic, natural motivation. He sees the hellish nightmare Silent Hill is for him (blood), and he fears that whatever terrors he experiences could be even worse for his innocent, defenseless little daughter (flesh). His fear for his daughter's safety is what propels him through this crucible.

That's just my opinion.
Son_of_Kauffman
Gravedigger

Post by Son_of_Kauffman »

alone in the town wrote:I thought I gave my two profound cents on this one, but no.

So, I've taken it in a literal sense:

"The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh".

Blood is ubiquitous, obviously. Everyone's got a few gallons coursing through them. It's a vital component of our biology.

And, the sight of it often makes us squeamish. The term is haemophobia, literally, the fear of blood.

Fears of this nature can be as debilitating in potential as in application. The very thought of being in a high place can terrify someone with acrophobia. Just looking at spiders can arouse arachnophobia, even if the spider is dead, or harmless. It's the fear of being in the situation, and this is why it manifests before the situation occurs. It's sort of an irrational mental preventative.

Why do we fear the sight of blood? Because blood on its own can be terrible to look at, but the last thing anyone wants is to see their own blood. After all, if we're seeing our own blood, it probably means that we've suffered some kind of injury. And seeing it in quantity is worse, because it means that the injury is severe, possibly to the point of fatal. What more ultimate a nightmare could there be than to see a geyser of blood erupting from one of your own arteries?

We fear blood, and because we do, we fear for the integrity of our own flesh.

To put it in a broader metaphor: Seeing something terrible makes us instinctively try to prevent anything that can allow it to happen to us, or as the case may be, to those for whom we would sacrifice our lives to protect. This is Harry's basic, natural motivation. He sees the hellish nightmare Silent Hill is for him (blood), and he fears that whatever terrors he experiences could be even worse for his innocent, defenseless little daughter (flesh). His fear for his daughter's safety is what propels him through this crucible.

That's just my opinion.
Brilliant! I agree completely.
Spetsnaz of the Interior Troops of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia
Spetsnaz sil Vnutrenniye Voiska Ministerstva Vnutrennikh Del

http://egan.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/20/california-will-survive-its-crackup/?ref=opinion

Think of Italy — which reminds me of California in so many ways — and its chronic inability to form a government. That’s California, with even better food and no parliamentary system.
....somewhere in Italy a contract was put out on the life of the article's author.
Dante
Just Passing Through

Post by Dante »

I think it´s some kind of "Carpe Diem" warning phrase:

If you fear your inevitable death you will get obssesed with it and finally,you will fear living your life and won´t enjoy it.
[img]http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/811/renadelusions.jpg[/img]
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

What Dante said. It struck me as one of the themes of the game, what with the "endgame project" nature of the God summoning, and the fact that if Harry avoided fulfilling Cheryl's wish, he'd never to spend the wonderful years he had with Heather.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
nobody
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by nobody »

In Chinese popular culture, it is often said that, if a man's nose produces a small flow of blood, this signifies that he is experiencing sexual desire. This often appears in Chinese-language and Hong Kong films as well as in Japanese culture parodied in anime and manga. Characters, mostly males, will often be shown with a nosebleed if they have just seen someone nude or in little clothing, or if they have had an erotic thought or fantasy; this is based on the idea that a male's blood pressure will spike dramatically when aroused.
Now it all makes sense.
there's comfort in silence
purplefungus
Just Passing Through

Post by purplefungus »

Fearing small things leads to fear of large things...

Funny, I was just thinking of this last night before I fell asleep...
Note to twilight fans: Guys that sparkle in real life, arent that into girls...
MistahJ
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: Interpretation of "The fear of blood

Post by MistahJ »

The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
I'm not quite sure what I think of this quote, but it kind of reminds me of Christianity. You know, where at the Last Supper Jesus said that the wine was his blood and the bread his flesh.

Just a thought.
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple" - Oscar Wilde

(somethinglacking on Discord)