Lisa Garland

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Chloe Smith
Just Passing Through

Lisa Garland

Post by Chloe Smith »

Lisa is the most amazing character in my mind. She never truly died off in the series in my mind, and I have many subjects concerning her that I would like to discuss.

White Claudia

Lisa's main addiction, the fix that she needs. Kaufmann, her boss, supplies her with not only a job, but with her drugs as well. She was in a dark place, and Kaufmann's drugs were the only way out for her, as it seemed. Lisa even went to questionable lengths to pay for the drug when she didn't have the cash, as depicted in Origins. I was not only upset at the scene, but I was also very empathetic. Kaufmann not only took advantage of a worker, but of her addiction. He knew that she couldn't go on without it for long, and she knew it too. It was a horrible situation, and awfully messy.

Michael Kaufmann

This abusive and sick relationship is very similar to many addict's relationships. Lisa hated Kaufmann, but she loved her drug. So she even slept with Kaufmann to get it. Her addiction to White Claudia had clouded her judgement, and she saw no other way to live. I'm a firm believer in the theory that Kaufmann killed Lisa, due to the fact she sook revenge on him so quickly following her "death". It was a very sad moment to watch, but it is nice to know that if Lisa went down, she was going to take Kaufmann with her.

Alessa Gillespie

Another factor in Lisa's drug binge. Lisa was forced to tend to Alessa to get the Claudia from Kaufmann. Alessa's wounds wouldn't heal, and eventually took a toll on Lisa's sanity. To have to take care of someone that won't get better is true torment. Alessa was in a fire that caused severe burns to her body, but something kept her alive. Lisa had no idea what was keeping her alive, and frankly, neither do I. Lisa did what she had to do for the drugs, and tending to Alessa every day was one of those things she had to do.
[size=75][i]You’re a rock star everybody wants you, Player… who can really blame you?[/i][/size]
Arsonist
Hope House Careworker

Post by Arsonist »

Lisa even went to questionable lengths to pay for the drug when she didn't have the cash, as depicted in Origins.
I said it before, and I’ll say it again. There is no reason to believe that Lisa was an addict during the events of SHO. In SH1, it was stated that Lisa was addicted to PTV (not White Claudia, that’s just the name of the plant which was used to create PTV), but in the motel room we don’t see PTV, instead, we see white powder, it is important to note that PTV is a liquid drug. Therefore, in the motel, Lisa wasn’t consuming PTV, the drug she was addicted to in SH1, but some other, unrelated drug.

Secondly, there is no evidence that Kaufmann blackmailed her at the time. She sounds quite happy about meeting him in the hospital, is definitively happy in the theater, as she’s making her way to the motel, she’s giggling during sex, and she seems angry at Travis for dropping in on them. Personally, I think she had a crush on Kaufmann during SHO, he’s handsome, mysterious, successful, and he’s her mentor, the forbidden fruit. Lisa wanted an adventure. Kaufmann on the other hand was a prick who used an air-headed sixteen year old girl for sex, and got her into doing drugs.

With time Lisa did start to resent Kaufmann, probably because she realized she was being used and that she had thrown her life away, but by that point, she needed him for drugs. She was his slave basically.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that Kaufmann killed Lisa, due to the fact she sook revenge on him so quickly following her "death".
I agree with that theory, but it is important to note that, while Kaufmann is a manipulative asshole, who deserves to have his balls ripped off, he did let her go initially.
Lisa Garland wrote:Told the doctor I quit. Won't work at that Hospital anymore. The room is filled with insects. Even with the doors and windows shut, they get in to spite me.

To the Hospital... Feeling bad. Need to throw up. But nothing comes out. Vomiting only bile. Blood and pus flow from the bathroom faucet. I try to stop it, but it won't turn off.

Need drug. Help me...
She only died when she came back. Initially, he did let her go. Perhaps it was an act of kindness on his behalf? Either way, he killed her when she came back, so chances are she was blackmailing, threatening to tell about Alessa, the cult and the drug business.
Lisa had no idea what was keeping her alive, and frankly, neither do I.
God she is carrying inside of her kept her alive.

Anyway, Lisa is a victim of Kaufmann, yes. But more importantly, she is the victim of her own foolishness and selfishness. She was the only one who could expose the Order and Kaufmann, the only one who could have stopped Alessa’s suffering, but she did not. The only thing that redeems her in my eyes is her kindness towards Alessa.

It is also important to note that Lisa we meet in SH1 is not Lisa Garland, she is Alessa’s memory of Lisa Garland, how Alessa saw Lisa. Her perfect kindness and angelic behavior only compliment Alessa’s innocence, not Lisa’s.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

but in the motel room we don’t see PTV, instead, we see white powder, it is important to note that PTV is a liquid drug. Therefore, in the motel, Lisa wasn’t consuming PTV, the drug she was addicted to in SH1, but some other, unrelated drug.
I personally choose to use this as a case against 0rigins' canon status, as obvious implication is obvious.
The only thing that redeems her in my eyes is her kindness towards Alessa.
You know, this always bugged me; what kindness? So she changed Alessa's bandages and did other nursely stuff, but it's not like the two talked or anything. What did she actually do that was so kind? She certainly didn't enjoy the work, and since Alessa was comatose, I doubt she put on a fake smile.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

Are you sure Alessa was comatose the entire time? 'Cause I was under the impression she kept a diary before the events of SH1. There's also Heather's comment after viewing the tape of Lisa at Brookhaven.
Heather wrote:But that nurse... I know her. Lisa... who was so heavenly toward me in that hellish hospital room. She did get a little weird, though...
I would like to take this opportunity to thank Mike for sharing his Interactive Monologue for SH3.
You rock, Mike.
Arsonist
Hope House Careworker

Post by Arsonist »

I personally choose to use this as a case against 0rigins' canon status, as obvious implication is obvious.
Good point. They made a lot of mistakes, that could easily be one of them.
Are you sure Alessa was comatose the entire time? 'Cause I was under the impression she kept a diary before the events of SH1. There's also Heather's comment after viewing the tape of Lisa at Brookhaven.
Only in the Play Novel, which is not canon. It also states that Alessa and Cheryl were in touch before Cheryl arrived to SH, that Cybil is a ghost and, and so on...
You know, this always bugged me; what kindness? So she changed Alessa's bandages and did other nursely stuff, but it's not like the two talked or anything. What did she actually do that was so kind? She certainly didn't enjoy the work, and since Alessa was comatose, I doubt she put on a fake smile.
I figured she talked to her, viewed her more as a child then a vegetable. Memory of Lisa mentions going to Midwich Elementary School. Memory of Lisa wouldn’t be able to know that, if Alessa didn’t know that, and Alessa wouldn’t know that if Lisa didn’t tell her.
Larson
Gravedigger

Post by Larson »

Arsonist wrote:In SH1, it was stated that Lisa was addicted to PTV (not White Claudia, that’s just the name of the plant which was used to create PTV)
It's nitpicking to remind people of this. Some real drugs are referred to by the plant whose product it is. Marijuana, cannabis. See any major difference?

I think it's amazing how deep of a character Lisa is and how much she goes through in/out of series, since we only see her a few times in SH1 (and the events there DEFINITELY don't want to shed any light on anything) and in Origins it seems..?
Droo

Post by Droo »

Since when is PTV a liquid substance? I was always under the impression that it was a powder. Is there anything in the games that concretely portray it as a liquid?

It could be a kind of narcotic that comes in various forms, too.

Edit: Also, I think this thread is better suited to the SH1 section since it deals quite specifically with characters from that game. Moved.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Alessa was comatose, but she was also a psychic. For all we know, she could dream about the world around her through a hellish filter. Perhaps she literally saw Otherworld Hospital with Lisa tending to her, and given her life, even simply not abusing her would be an act of kindness. Or maybe Alessa just really liked how Lisa bent over when she was changing the bandages. She was so...heavenly, to her. Given that Heather summoned sexy nurses, and Lisa was idealized and used as sexual temptation in a world made from Alessa's mind...

hur hur hurrrr
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Droo

Post by Droo »

Wasn't it suggested/implied that Lisa read to Alessa?

Also, I imagine that Lisa was quite warm and spoke to Alessa while she was trapped down there looking after her. An abused child will form very strong emotional attachments to anyone who shows the slightest bit of kindness towards them.

Alessa was physically and emotionally abused by her mother, rejected by her classmates and lived a very unhappy isolated life. It is not surprising at all that she became very fond of Lisa.

Alessa was comatose, yes, but I think it's pretty clear that she was still aware of what was going on around her. She did pull Kaufmann and Lisa into her Nightmare after all.
Lives in the mirror"
Larson
Gravedigger

Post by Larson »

^ Everyone's gay in Silent Hills, come on :roll: At least it's one of the more likely gay-theories.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I wish. I would totally do Henry. Haha.
Lives in the mirror"
Chloe Smith
Just Passing Through

Post by Chloe Smith »

Arsonist wrote:
Lisa even went to questionable lengths to pay for the drug when she didn't have the cash, as depicted in Origins.
I said it before, and I’ll say it again. There is no reason to believe that Lisa was an addict during the events of SHO. In SH1, it was stated that Lisa was addicted to PTV (not White Claudia, that’s just the name of the plant which was used to create PTV), but in the motel room we don’t see PTV, instead, we see white powder, it is important to note that PTV is a liquid drug. Therefore, in the motel, Lisa wasn’t consuming PTV, the drug she was addicted to in SH1, but some other, unrelated drug.

Secondly, there is no evidence that Kaufmann blackmailed her at the time. She sounds quite happy about meeting him in the hospital, is definitively happy in the theater, as she’s making her way to the motel, she’s giggling during sex, and she seems angry at Travis for dropping in on them. Personally, I think she had a crush on Kaufmann during SHO, he’s handsome, mysterious, successful, and he’s her mentor, the forbidden fruit. Lisa wanted an adventure. Kaufmann on the other hand was a prick who used an air-headed sixteen year old girl for sex, and got her into doing drugs.
There is more then one reason to believe that Lisa was addicted to some form of drug during the events of Origins. After Travis drops in on her and Kaufmann having sex, she leaves, followed by Kaufmann, and there is a white substance on the counter. It's a drug, White Claudia or not, and was used to get Lisa addicted to drugs, and Kaufmann probably just introduced the more complex drug of White Claudia later.

Also, concerning her and Kaufmann, I highly doubt she had a crush on Kaufmann in the first place. She simply used him for drugs, it's what most addicts do with their partners. They see their partners as a wayto get drugs, and since Kaufmann was her supplier of the drugs, she did whatever she had to do to get with him. Regarding the whole giggling thing during sex, I think it's safe to say that anyone can have fun during sex, even if they don't like the person. When Travis walks in on her and Kaufmann, she seems annoyed, simply because she doesn't want Travis to know about her relationship with Kaufmann, much less her addiction.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>it is important to note that PTV is a liquid drug.
PTV is a powder. Not once is it depicted as a liquid in the series. In fact, PTV is clearly a powder, as evidenced in the Indian Runner's safe.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

MMY wrote:>it is important to note that PTV is a liquid drug.
PTV is a powder. Not once is it depicted as a liquid in the series. In fact, PTV is clearly a powder, as evidenced in the Indian Runner's safe.
Okay, thanks, Tommy. I was scratching my head thinking "huh? liquid?"
Lives in the mirror"
Chloe Smith
Just Passing Through

Post by Chloe Smith »

So it's possible that Lisa was already addicted to White Claudia during Origins. Either way, Kaufmann is a sick bastard for doing what he did to Lisa, regardless of how naive she was.
[size=75][i]You’re a rock star everybody wants you, Player… who can really blame you?[/i][/size]
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Droo wrote:Wasn't it suggested/implied that Lisa read to Alessa?
Where?
Also, I imagine that Lisa was quite warm and spoke to Alessa while she was trapped down there looking after her. An abused child will form very strong emotional attachments to anyone who shows the slightest bit of kindness towards them.
I don't see why. She obviously didn't enjoy her job, and Alessa was comatose. There's no way that she'd no Alessa could hear her. Therefore, Alessa was checking out her rack.
Larson
Gravedigger

Post by Larson »

AuraTwilight wrote:There's no way that she'd no Alessa could hear her. Therefore, Alessa was checking out her rack.
Exactly! I bet her liking girls contributed to how the other children bullied her.. or was that just in the movie?
Last edited by Larson on 23 Mar 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Chloe Smith
Just Passing Through

Post by Chloe Smith »

Lesbian theorizing aside, I think that Alessa didn't like Lisa all that much to be honest.

Why else would she pull poor little Lisa into the nightmare world? Since Lisa was keeping the suffering girl alive, something tells me that she's not awfully happy that Lisa took care of her, where in her mind, she didn't need the care.
Droo

Post by Droo »

The Lisa in SH1 is obviously not the real Lisa. It's a Puppet Nurse made up to look and act like her.

Given how Lisa is presented as a friendly face to Harry in SH1, and that it is Alessa who is manifesting her, I think you can take the "Lisa" in SH1 to be a good indication of how Alessa viewed her by the way she made her personality.

Lisa didn't like her job, but Alessa had no fault in that. Alessa was a victim of Kaufmann's machinations, just like her. I think Lisa and Alessa both felt profound sympathy for each other's plights. I do not see Lisa as doing anything but her very best job to take care of Alessa. Her videotape confession shows that she is worn down by the care of Alessa, but she comes off more as a desperate, confused woman.

Also, Alessa allows "Lisa" to have her revenge against Kaufmann in the most horrible way. Even though it's not the real Lisa, that Puppet Nurse thinks she's Lisa, so it's a gift that Alessa has granted her in her memory.
Lives in the mirror"
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yea. Rockin' boobage.

I mean revenge.