Fitch's Heroism (Spoilers)

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

The Lost Carol
Cafe5to2 Waitress
Location: Artaud Theater (Can't be at the hotel all the time, you know...)

Fitch's Heroism (Spoilers)

Post by The Lost Carol »

In playthrough two, I started looking around the Town Hall before going back to the house the first time. In the room next to Judge Holloway's office (I think,) I found a plaque with a key on it. Checking it reveals Doc Fitch's heroic act, as mentioned in the manual:

Short version: he saved a bunch of kids whose bus ran off the road. One of the kids was Alex, who was trapped by his leg for four hours in the freezing water. (Fitch wrapped him in his shirt and stayed with him the whole time.)

Three observations: 1: makes me wonder why Alex doesn't really talk much about what Fitch did for him (or, rather, mention it at all.) 2: makes me assume Fitch only saved him less because he liked him, and more because he was required for the sacrifice, and 3: make me think the leg that was trapped in the bus is the one Holloway drilled into (*shudders*)

This somewhat changes my outlook on Fitch. Which is good, because the endgame made me go from liking Judge Holloway to abhoring her (and noticing her behavior that made me like her is clearly antagonistic to Alex if you realize who she really is...)

Discuss.
I run, 'til the silence splits me open,
I run, and it puts me underground,
But there's no regret, and no roads left to run...
~Linkin Park, No Roads Left

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3026/2896396386_6d2d92733b.jpg[/img]
Hannah
Hope House Careworker

Post by Hannah »

Holy hell. I had no idea any of this happened. .-. Changes my entire perspective on his character (in that I thought he had the emotional range of a spoon). Maybe not all of these family heads were complete jerks.

It is a wonder why this is never mentioned, even in the dialogue trees. It seems like something like what Fitch did would have effected Alex more, considering he obviously didn't have very much positive emotional stimulus from his parents. Wouldn't it have made sense if Alex attached himself to Fitch after that? ._.;

It's nice to know that at least somebody cared about Alex. Even a teeny bit.
¿Qué carajo estás haciendo aquí? ¡Lárgate, cabrón!

Y'know what I don't hate?
Diddley
Just Passing Through

Post by Diddley »

He didn't care about Alex. Fitch just didn't want him to die before he was supposed to. Looks like his actions were in vain.
Empyrean
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Empyrean »

sounds to me he was just trying to save Alex so he could complete the sacrifice. By the sounds of what the Adam talk about when raising Alex, Adam already comited Alex to the fact so most likely the rest of the founding members would have known what kid was going to get it.
KLGChaos
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by KLGChaos »

Well, he obviously wasn't as bad as the others. His insanity and self-mutilation showed how upset he was about what he did. He wasn't like the Judge who seemed to enjoy what she did and the mayor, who was just an ass.
I'm offended by political correctness.
sh#1fan
Historical Society Historian

Post by sh#1fan »

hmm~

I also notice this on my second playthrough.
Dosent in say he saved a bunch of kids... not just alex?
Anyway i was really suprized this was not a bigger part of the game :shock: Seems like somthing that should have been part of the main story.

My opinion is he really was trying to help, and was not thinking about the order or sacrifices at the time. I really think he was a good guy... but we did not get to know him much :cry:
oO?
Diddley
Just Passing Through

Post by Diddley »

You could be right. Maybe he was pressured into separating from the Order as well as sacrificing his daughter. That would definitely explain why he's "atoning" for his sins everyday. He could have genuinely saved Alex's life.
lbsword
Just Passing Through

Post by lbsword »

He probably did it out of both, keep in mind, all the families sacrificed their children because of the order, not because they just felt like killing their kids.

I personally say "Fuck them"; every single one of them.

You stabbed your daughter because you scared of the order, you strangled your daughter cause your scared of the order, you try to get alex killed because of the order. (SUCK IT ADAM)

Blah blah blah blah blah, in my opinion. You love your children, do something about the order.
KLGChaos
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by KLGChaos »

lbsword wrote:He probably did it out of both, keep in mind, all the families sacrificed their children because of the order, not because they just felt like killing their kids.

I personally say "Fuck them"; every single one of them.

You stabbed your daughter because you scared of the order, you strangled your daughter cause your scared of the order, you try to get alex killed because of the order. (SUCK IT ADAM)

Blah blah blah blah blah, in my opinion. You love your children, do something about the order.
Sadly, fear of religion is a powerful thing. Just look at the Inquisition. Tons of people had to convert and obey or live in fear of being tortured and killed. And if you've seen some of the devices they used to torture people, to give out every ounce of pain they could (like the Head Screw), then you could see where people might do something like this. Now picture that with a real, scary Otherworld theme to it.
Kenny28
Just Passing Through

Post by Kenny28 »

Don't forget the Hostel stuff at the end. If the monsters didn't get you, the order would probably deal with you themselves.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It's not the Order, it was the Otherworld they were afraid of. It's easy to stop the Order, but how do you stop an ALTERNATE DIMENSION FROM ENGULFING YOUR TOWN? Weighed with the possibilities of either the whole town dying, or just your kid, you need to choose.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

Yes, I remember reading the article my first time through. I was sure Alex would mention it at one point or another...

I guess he never did.

Still, it's quite an interesting little detail. I guess we'll never really know what Fitch's true motivation was behind that heroic act, though some have an idea or two. :roll:
Hannah
Hope House Careworker

Post by Hannah »

AuraTwilight wrote: It's easy to stop the Order, but how do you stop an ALTERNATE DIMENSION FROM ENGULFING YOUR TOWN?
You move farther than across the goddamn lake?

You know, it's amazing how different these religious folks are. Vincent and Claudia, obviously, were not afraid of the Otherworld or their religion, they embraced it. These Shepherd's Glen folks seemed to be doing this out of fear. I don't understand, why worship something that will destroy you at the slightest error? With the Order gods there appears to be no room for forgiveness.
¿Qué carajo estás haciendo aquí? ¡Lárgate, cabrón!

Y'know what I don't hate?
victim21
Woodside Apartments Janitor
Location: deepest recess of Walters mind... I got a train here :D

Post by victim21 »

I think a safe rule of thumb for the order and their God/s is:

You're screwed if you do, you're screwed if you don't!

:p
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b104/The-doodler/sig.jpg[/img]
Big thanks to Milfy for my Avvy :D Sig was by me, woop!
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

You move farther than across the goddamn lake?
But they still wanted/need to be with their God, so that doesn't work either.
You know, it's amazing how different these religious folks are. Vincent and Claudia, obviously, were not afraid of the Otherworld or their religion, they embraced it. These Shepherd's Glen folks seemed to be doing this out of fear. I don't understand, why worship something that will destroy you at the slightest error? With the Order gods there appears to be no room for forgiveness.
Claudia sees the Otherworld as a paradise, and I get the impression Vincent is kinda nuts and sees it as a game. The Shepherd's Glen cult, however, realizes "Uh...we shouldn't fuck with this thing", but because they know how dangerous it is, they know well enough not to piss it off or disobey it.

It's the same way with any other religion. Why worship something that'll send you to Hell at the slightest error?

F.E.A.R.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
KLGChaos
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by KLGChaos »

AuraTwilight wrote:
It's the same way with any other religion. Why worship something that'll send you to Hell at the slightest error?

F.E.A.R.
Yup. It's where the whole concept of Hell came from. If people are afraid of eternal damnation and torment, it makes them that much easier to control.
jthomp1286
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by jthomp1286 »

Does it mention how old Alex was? Maybe he didn't remember it. Maybe he was traumatized by the event and has repressed it?

Also, Doc Fitch's mutilation not only shows he upset he is by what he's done. He's also a doctor. Doctors care for people and do what they can to keep them alive and improve their quality of life.
The Hippocratic Oath wrote:I will follow that method of treatment which according to my ability and judgment, I consider for the benefit of my patient and abstain from whatever is harmful or mischievous.
To break that oath with the murder of your own daughter, regardless of the need of the sacrifice, was too much to bear.
Under the burning sun I take a look around
Imagine if this all came down
Wolfang_02
Just Passing Through

Post by Wolfang_02 »

I wish Alex would have brought it up to Doc Fitch. Ah well, there's always fanfiction!
Meeks
Just Passing Through

Post by Meeks »

wow I never noticed that and now knowing it, it does make me think differently. but also, if you notice Fitch seemed to suffered more of the lost of his child then the others. so it sorta make sense that he seemed to like children more than others, he showed more regret then any other order member. imo
Mantorok
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mantorok »

You can't entirely blame the parents though. It wasn't their generation that made this whole deal of the sacrifice every 50 years.

If I recall correctly it says Alex was 8 when this happened. I don't think Josh would have been born yet, Alex might not have been named the sacrifice at this point.