Alex's father and Pyramid Head. SPOILERS

Poor Alex ... his momma don't seem to like him much. We wonder why in here ...

Moderator: Moderators

The Hawk's Eye
Just Passing Through

Alex's father and Pyramid Head. SPOILERS

Post by The Hawk's Eye »

After beating the game, it's pretty obvious that Pyramid Head was meant to torment Adam. Also, in the very beginning, is it just me or does the doctor who wheels Alex into the hospital look like his father but with a surgeon's gown and mask on? And sure enough, he gets skewered (presumably by Pyramid Head) when he leaves the room. I wonder if there's other foreshadowing to Adam's demise/torment by Pyramid Head. I'm also curious as to how Alex was able to get such insight into it via his Nightmare (as Pyramid Head also stabs him at the end of the sequence).

I think maybe Alex feels enough guilt and self-loathing to sort of "summon" Pyramid Head as well, but instead of being personally attacked, Pyramid Head makes Alex suffer by watching horrible things happen to his father? It also seemed like the Nightmare Alex endured in the beginning was all leading up to an encounter with this unseen predator. Maybe Pyramid Head dragged Alex into this Nightmare Alchemilla to punish him personally or something (I know that contradicts what I just said but I'm just throwing ideas out here)?

PS: Anyone disappointed we didn't revisit Alchemilla, sort of like how Heather eventually gets to the Amusement Park in SH3?
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/3026/ultimatemofohawkeyeanimatedur5.gif[/img][/url]
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

Well until we hear some reports on the boogeyman ending, it sounds a good a theory as any
Hannah
Hope House Careworker

Post by Hannah »

You could also say that Pyramid Head was 'summoned' by Alex's father to punish him (the father). Considering his role is incredibly tiny, I don't think Alex had much to do with him being there. Unlike James, who was literally stalked by the thing (of course, his guilt was arguably more intense) for most of the game.
¿Qué carajo estás haciendo aquí? ¡Lárgate, cabrón!

Y'know what I don't hate?
Droo

Post by Droo »

I think the answer as to how or why Pyramid Head is there is quite simple. The town manifests monsters from the subconscious of those who become intertwined with the otherworldly happenings in the town. The town reaches deep into their minds, and pulls out what it finds in there and makes it real.

What if the answer simply is that once the Otherworld has laid claim and made real some horror it finds in there, it can use said creature again for other people, even though they are not the source of the image itself, per se?

Take the Nurses, Dogs, cockroaches, and the Closers, for example. All have appeared in more than one game, with relatively similar appearances. The Nurses, dogs, and cockroaches are technically Alessa's monsters (and thusly Travis', as he's the first one to encounter them). However, Harry, James, Heather and Alex are all also presented with these creatures. When applicable, the town will reuse creations from its past "repertoire", if you will.

So perhaps following James' romp in the town, Pyramid Head was added to such a stock. Indeed, his purpose may also have been somehow appropriated by the town, as a punisher of those with guilty minds.

Pyramid Head is first following Alex around, perhaps sensing his guilty conscience or simply making the mistake of going after the wrong Shepherd. He encounters Alex, gets a good look at him, and then leaves him alone, and goes off to find Adam, his real target.

Judge Holloway and friends tie up Adam and leave him hidden in the Church for Alex to find. They may be hoping that Alex will kill Adam thus fulfilling their aim of punishing him for his failure. Now we don't know how long Adam has been there, with nothing to keep him company but his guilty mind. Tapping into this, the town created Pyramid Head from this guilt. It could also be that the town fed into the guilty consciences of BOTH male Shepherds, which might explain why Pyramid Head sought out Alex first, before going to Adam.

Also, given the ambiguous possible familial connection between Mary Shepherd and Adam Shepherd, it's possible that Pyramid Head is manifested by that connection. After all, Mary's conscience is believed to have been a partial source of the monsters in SH2 just as much as James.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
jthomp1286
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by jthomp1286 »

Drewfus wrote:Also, given the ambiguous possible familial connection between Mary Shepherd and Adam Shepherd, it's possible that Pyramid Head is manifested by that connection
That would be plausible except PH is James' punisher and manifestation. Not Mary's.

Also, on the idea of the repertoire. I find that hard to believe. I don't believe the town consciously keeps track of the monsters it manifests. I believe they are specific to each individual. However, some people generally share the same fears. The Nurses can belong to anyone because most people are afraid of being confined to a hospital. The Cockroaches/Swarm can apply to anyone because a lot of people fear creepy/crawly things. The Dogs/Ferals because some people are afraid of dogs. In the case of SHH, Alex likely feels like he's been treated like a dog (evidenced by some of Adam's own statements). However, each individual has their own specific phobias and fears that also get manifested.
Under the burning sun I take a look around
Imagine if this all came down
Droo

Post by Droo »

The Nurses share too many similar physical features across the perceivers for me to accept that it's just the town tapping into fears of hospitals and nurses. With the exception of SH1, all the Nurses looks startlingly similar.

I'm not saying that the town is consciously remembering Pyramid Head or any of the other monsters. I'm saying that as more and more people throw their personal demons into the town, these get added into the pot, so to speak.

My idea of the repertoire becomes obsolete as well if it's merely some lingering shadow of his sister's demons that Adam is manifesting. Mary went to the Historical Society with James. If she is connected with SG Order, then the image of Pyramid Head could have been even more unsettling and emotionally powerful than it was to James. Pyramid Head is James' punisher, but I don't see any reason why Mary's influence couldn't have come into play in the FORM of James' punisher. For more on my views of Mary and Adam's connection, please see my Mary Shepherd-Sunderland thread.

Also, given that SG Order and SH Order are both from the same source, Adam is also likely aware of Valtiel and the executioners from the past as seen at the Historical Society. Adam could just be manifesting Pyramid Head from his own memories, much like James.
Lives in the mirror"
jthomp1286
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by jthomp1286 »

Just as a dead person can't write a letter, I don't believe a dead person can manifest beings in SH either. I believe James got the idea from the Misty Days painting and any knowledge of the town he might have gained from his visits with Mary.

As for the Nurses, they do look similar from SH2 onward. However, nurses typically dress the same anyway. And if there was a repertoire, would SH not become overrun after a period of time? The next time someone was called there would they even have a chance? And what would be the point of manifesting something that one person doesn't fear? It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense in the end.
Doo-glas
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Doo-glas »

that's an interesting theory Drewfus
Last edited by Doo-glas on 04 Oct 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Well clearly it doesn't pull ALL the monsters of the past out of the bag. We've never seen Pendulums/Insane Cancer/Numb Bodies/Winged Screamers etc again. They're merely part of the collective unconscious of the area. If so required, they could be manifested for the person manifesting them, or not.

It already is established that the lingering memories of Mary are playing some role in the events and monsters of SH2. How this is, I'm not sure. However, SH Chronicles does confirm that the Mary we encounter before the boss fight in the Maria ending of SH2 is the real Mary. A dead person may not be able to write a letter, but her spirit or conscience may still exist in the town on a different plane of existence, especially if she is connected to and believes in the teachings of The Order.
Lives in the mirror"
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

What if the answer simply is that once the Otherworld has laid claim and made real some horror it finds in there, it can use said creature again for other people, even though they are not the source of the image itself, per se?
That's what I figured. The Otherworld is more than just a mirror; it's a SPONGE. It keeps the psychic energies fed to it so it doesn't have to generate as much fresh images and concepts for each person. It's probably this same principle that gave the Otherworld such a dark taint as well.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
jthomp1286
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by jthomp1286 »

If her lingering memories are causing some of the manifestations in SH2 then its plausible they are still unique. Mary and James were in love and married. Its possible that they're strong emotions and connection is causing the manifestations that James' sees. However, I believe that they are James mixed feelings about Mary and himself.

I'm not doubting that we see Mary at all in SH2. I do believe the Mary we see in the boss fight in the Maria ending is her, just like the Mary we see after the Maria boss fight is the real Mary. Its possible she believes in The Order, but were given no indication that she does. I'm doubting that seriously though.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Well, as I said in my Mary thread on this board, Mary is clearly not a fanatical follower of the religion if she left the town and married outside the religion. Homecoming makes it pretty clear that the SG Order despises anyone who doesn't not belief in their God. If Mary was devout, she would sooner die than marry James.
Lives in the mirror"
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

AuraTwilight wrote:
That's what I figured. The Otherworld is more than just a mirror; it's a SPONGE. It keeps the psychic energies fed to it so it doesn't have to generate as much fresh images and concepts for each person. It's probably this same principle that gave the Otherworld such a dark taint as well.
I could agree with that, but there really isn't a lot of returning monsters. Though there are some major resemblances, to be sure (Feral, Siam, Smog)

actually, I think I just talked myself into agreeing with you. I mean outside of bosses, I guess the only truly original enemies are Needlers, Scisms, and Lurkers.
Last edited by ur-vile on 05 Oct 2008, edited 1 time in total.
jthomp1286
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by jthomp1286 »

The Lurkers in this case would probably be a monster unique to Alex. In another thread I cited a diary entry where he writes he saw a guy's legs get blown off and he bandaged them up. The Lurkers have no legs, hence a manifestation of that memory.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I'm not doubting that we see Mary at all in SH2. I do believe the Mary we see in the boss fight in the Maria ending is her, just like the Mary we see after the Maria boss fight is the real Mary.
The Mary we meet in the Maria Ending is a manifestation, according to Translated Memories.
Last edited by AuraTwilight on 05 Oct 2008, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Icarus
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Icarus »

In the Bogeyman Ending, why is it we see two Red Pyramid Headed Things? My first thought--after seeing how Alex got turned into the third--was: "Well now we know what happened to Wheeler and Elle."

So wha-? What's up with having two?
I felt [i][b]infinite[/b][/i].
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I figured there were two Pyramid Heads for the same reason there were two in SH2: One for new blood, one for old; in this case, what if the past two Pyramid Heads were the first two Shepard Sacrifices? OOoooooh~~~
jthomp1286
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by jthomp1286 »

There were 3 before Alex.
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

I have to agree with Aura on this point, and in sh2 there were 2 actually 3 PH's. But what Aura says is actually was was stated in sh2, so it actually makes more sense than it would appear to.
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
jthomp1286
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by jthomp1286 »

Its hard to make out exactly what you're trying to get at, but it still doesn't make sense because there were 3 sacrifices before Alex. Not 2. That doesn't account for there being 3 of them in that ending. If that were the case, there should be 4, including Alex.