Metal Gear Solid - Silent Hill Demo

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Numb Body01
Historical Society Historian

Metal Gear Solid - Silent Hill Demo

Post by Numb Body01 »

I bought Metal Gear Solid for the PS1 second hand last year just to have a copy but haven't actually played it through again yet. Today I looked inside it properly and found out it was the version with the SH1 demo inside! Allow me to illustrate...

So the problem is I don't have a PS1, 2, or 3 to actually play the bloody thing on! The point of this thread is twofold; does anyone else have the demo and if so, what is it like?
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

well, i bought a metal gear solid that had just the two disc without even the cover (just plastic casing) and no it didn't have the demo. But my guess is it has the very beginning of the game like the alleyway up until he "dies".
I have a ps2 but by the older version so it constantly reloads during cutscenes. Wow, what a waste :cry:

Luckily you have some form of silent hill as there is none left in my state.

EDIT: Your ps1 disc does not belong in a N64 console :D
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
delusion
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by delusion »

My friend has the demo. You can play from the beginning to the alley scene and some parts of the school: piano riddle to nightmare school.
Last edited by delusion on 20 May 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

Ah that sucks about your PS2 skipping all the cut-scenes. Ah right, that's quite a lot of the game just for a demo. I had a look for the demo on ebay and it's relatively rare, wooo.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Karen999uk
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Karen999uk »

I have the demo, but I've only played it once about ten years ago. I didn't realise it was rare, I'll have to dig mine out
Silent Smiffy
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Silent Smiffy »

gamestop has some copies of the full game, mine works on the ps2 with cutscenes and only got it for a fiver
Snake. We're not tools of the government, or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing... the only thing I was good at. But... at least I always fought for what I believed in.
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

Yeah I had three copies of the full game at one point, now I've got two and the demo.
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

Ah that sucks about your PS2 skipping all the cut-scenes.
I actually didn;t have a problem playing silent hill with my ps2, it was only when I played the mgs. I could buy the slim ps2 which they said would work on it but I'm rather not that interested.
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
Doo-glas
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Doo-glas »

why would you buy Metal Gears Solid in the first place if you don't own a playstation 1,2 or 3?
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

Yes because I know I will in the future and I just wanted a copy. Also, my brother back home has one and my flatmate next year does too.
Video Gamer
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by Video Gamer »

I can't stop watching that picture. o_o
Seal of Megatron
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Seal of Megatron »

Is that the demo that has the original child monsters in it? before they were swapped for the mumblers.
Who's the man? Me!!
delusion
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by delusion »

Seal of Megatron wrote:Is that the demo that has the original child monsters in it? before they were swapped for the mumblers.
If I remember correctly there is little child monsters with knives.
paladin181
Subway Guard

Post by paladin181 »

Which version has the mumblers? The GH version has Gray Children. Was the mumbler switch only for over seas versions? I've never heard of this anomaly before joining this site.
=====================================================
|.My Avatar is larger than yours because I'm a cult subscriber.|
=====================================================
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

The PAL version has the mumblers, I couldn't tell you what is in the demo unfortunately!
Yana
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Yana »

Ahh Dennis that is so lucky, I wish I had that demo. You definitely need to get something to play it on ASAP! Nice buy though. :D
[url=http://iampaddy.com/spell/]Learn To Fucking Spell[/url]
Karen999uk
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Karen999uk »

I've just noticed the text at the start ("The fear of blood...") is different, in the demo it instead says "You will encounter a wall of darkness and the wrath of the underworld. These will help you"
Last edited by Karen999uk on 22 May 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

That's pretty cool, and thanks Yana. :)
Davido
Just Passing Through

Post by Davido »

Hmm I've got the Demo and I'm from Belgium, let me check if there is something strange in it :p

p.s.: the demo isent that rare, it was included with almost every MGS1 version when it came out.. and honestly, who didn't bought MGS1 :P

edit: The PAL version shows: "You will encounter a wall of darkness and the wrath of the underworld. These will help you" like kaaren said.

And it contained the child#2 ( http://www.translatedmemories.com/bookpgs/Pg102-103.jpg )

Child#1 never made it in a demo ( except E3 ), but I really lol'd when I saw a little naked gnome like child on those pictures... altho some people found it *shocking*.
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

Yeah because it looked too much like a child, you can find a video of it on YouTube if you look. It is actually rare because it wasn't included with MGS after it went platinum, check on ebay and you won't find many. Thanks for the heads up though.

EDIT: I finally played the demo and a few other things are worth mentioning.

1. The sound effect when you pick an item up is different, and rather annoying.
2. The music in the "Combat" section set in the school is different and some *might* not be in the final game.
3. I don't know if this is also in the final game but one of the bloody notes in the school reception is written over images from Pulp Fiction.