A VCR. It's Old But Usable: New Insight On The Timeline

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Burning Man
Historical Society Historian

Post by Burning Man »

I'd have to agree with Kenji a bit here. For all we know, the VCR in question may be relatively new in the real world.

I wouldn't be surprised if they thought to use The Adversary's timeline, a year or two, give or take. The one Silent Hill game that actually states when it's taking place is the arcade (1993), and that's a start, really.

I feel that Lisa's presence in Origins will either work marvelously or fall flat on its face. Yamaoka seems pretty confident that it will work, so I'm hoping that it's the former.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
Ashmodean
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Ashmodean »

It's not really vital or important information-wise as it only gives us inklings that Lisa's hopped up on drugs
I think the diary was also there to point out that being on spychoactive drugs can also "trap" you in the otherworld. Remember from the video we know that she is greatly disturbed by the blood and puss that just keeps oozing through the bandages. In the diary she mentions something abotu the tap not working and that theres just blood and puss coming out. The drugs coupled with her strong feelings of disgust led her into her own nightmare in silent hill. I do think it's evident that the characters don't all see the same thing. A lot of the monsters in the first game I actually thought were inspired by Harry's memories. A lot of them come from childrens books and Harry is a writer afterall, he must have fond memories of stories he's read.
adam18au
Just Passing Through

Post by adam18au »

yes their is a vcr you have to remember some things will nto make sense becasue they made most of the back ground to the game after they made the first one becasue they didnt know how the game would go and even if their would be a second game
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

adam18au wrote:yes their is a vcr you have to remember some things will nto make sense becasue they made most of the back ground to the game after they made the first one becasue they didnt know how the game would go and even if their would be a second game
That's the point going over your head.

Silent Hill isn't that lazy.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
adam18au
Just Passing Through

Post by adam18au »

silent hill isent that lazy ??? how did they know their wasent going to be a second one ?? they brang out origins to make things make more sense alot of things in the first silent hill will make no sense casue its the first game theirs alota things you can pick out if the game that might not of been their in 1983 the buildings the houses the cars hes colthing the cops so on and so on the cop car theirs heaps hes jeep he had
therednurse
Just Passing Through

Post by therednurse »

I always assumed Lisa was being forced to make the tape (and the fact that she wasn't moving was more cutting corners due to the limits of the PS1 at the time). After all she ends with "I won't tell a soul. I promise...so please..."
I always thought that meant "So please give me the drug."
adam18au
Just Passing Through

Post by adam18au »

i feel sorry for lisa i think she wanted to do it all at first but then saw the girl felt sorry for her saw her pain and didnt want anything more to do with it but she was addicted to thw white claudia so she couldent leave but finally she decides to go tell somebody or threatens to and they kill her i dont think alessa kept her around for remourse and has anyone thought that aleesa kept lisa around to torture her for helping dr kaufman and dahlia people say she didnt have anything to do with what happend to alessa at all but i think she must of at some point and thats why they had to kill her becasue she changed her mind and was going to tell thats what i think anyway
demollyon
Just Passing Through

Post by demollyon »

The OP says SH1 takes place in 1983. How do you know this?
There was a sig here. It's gone now.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
demollyon
Just Passing Through

Post by demollyon »

The Adversary wrote:My research.
I read it, but I just don't get why? Does the manual says Harry's age, or is there some other way you found out? Please elaborate.
There was a sig here. It's gone now.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

There are a lot of factors used in determining the year, notably the time between Silent Hill 1 and 3 and the time between 3 and 4.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
MisterGrey
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MisterGrey »

It's not at all unfeasible that a hospital would have had access to a VCR circa 1975-1976, making it nearly a decade old when Harry would find it. I'm not sure how much VCRs changed in the interim, but one guess I'd have is that Harry, in 1983, is used to seeing front-loading machines, whereas the hospital's could have been a top-loader.
Droo

Post by Droo »

An interesting idea. What does the VCR in Alchemilla look like, though? Can we see it clearly enough?

I'm still somewhat unsure of whether Alchemilla, a small hospital in a no-name resort town, would find it necessary or affordable to have a piece of expensive new technology in 1976.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Who says Lisa made the video in 1976? It's more likely that it was made close to Silent Hill 1's occurrence.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
spunkytexan
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by spunkytexan »

Thats exactly what I was thinking about it.
I think she made the tape just before she died.
Now the dream of this life must end, and so, too, must the dreamers within it.
PeachySakura24

Post by PeachySakura24 »

I never thought of that, but it makes sense.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Drewfus wrote:An interesting idea. What does the VCR in Alchemilla look like, though? Can we see it clearly enough?

I'm still somewhat unsure of whether Alchemilla, a small hospital in a no-name resort town, would find it necessary or affordable to have a piece of expensive new technology in 1976.
Silent Hill isn't a no-name resort town. It's actually quite big, flourishing and... interestingly enough, bountiful for a tourist reprieve. Hell, just look at the size of their various districts, the array of shops and the hospitals. They have--what, three different, rather large ones?

I'll echo the others' sentiments: who says the VCR had to be there and in use in '76?
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I got the impression that Silent Hill's tourism industry sort of dried up and died after the fire. I'm not sure where I read it, but I remember something to that effect.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
BlackDahlia
Just Passing Through

Post by BlackDahlia »

I know its not the most reliable of sources, but I've just read this:
Experimentation with magnetic tape recording of video signals began just post World-War II. Prototype machines were built in the early 1950s. The first practical, commercial broadcast quality video recorder was released by Ampex in 1956. The model VR-1000 cost $50,000 and used 2" wide videotape. KING-TV in Seattle got Serial Number 1. (CBS in Hollywood had earlier received the first production prototype, the VRX-1000.)

One would assume that hospitals, prisons etc would have also been top priority to get VCRs in order to document things.
seal_of_metatron
Just Passing Through

Post by seal_of_metatron »

therednurse wrote:I always assumed Lisa was being forced to make the tape (and the fact that she wasn't moving was more cutting corners due to the limits of the PS1 at the time). After all she ends with "I won't tell a soul. I promise...so please..."
I always thought that meant "So please give me the drug."
they probably shut off the tape and killed her right there...
there's not too many kids, just the wrong people having them