Silent Hill, according to Angela:

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

The Adversary
RESPECT

Silent Hill, according to Angela:

Post by The Adversary »

...as a House.

The town of Silent Hill Angela Orosco sees is seemingly the same as James'—slightly different in places, of course—but this seems far from the truth. Angela's Silent Hill, from my observations, isn't a town at all: it's a house. Hers, to be precise.

When James first meets Angela, she hasn't made it to town quite yet; she's on the outskirts, lingering around, looking for her family, in a cemetery no less, where only the dead reside: she hasn't made it "home" yet. She also doesn't act terribly odd—not considering how she acts later on, at least. Upon meeting her the first time, everything is relatively normal between the two strangers: an awkward teenager; an equally awkward introvert. Not until James confronts her for the second time—this occurrence being inside Silent Hill—does her personality drastically change.

The location of said room in Blue Creek Apartments doesn't exist: The room itself exists, but the way into it does not. It's through an off-white door—one appearing in only one other location in Silent Hill 2—with the standard apartment doors immediately to the right. Why then are there two doors leading into the same room? one of which is unopenable, the other, not leading into a room at all.

This door leads to, for James, a room in Blue Creek Apartments—for Angela, her house. She leaves the room, but as long as she's in the town, it seems she doesn't leave the house: She moves from room to room, hallway to hallway.

Her presence in the Labyrinth further suggests she's going through the house. The doorway—the aforementioned door—also leads into the piston room: the room in which James confronts Thomas Orosco, her abusive father. Afterward, Angela conveys her ardent hatred for her father, smashing a television over the monster's body. The off-white door again suggests this isn't the same to James as it is to Angela: These particular doorways are what Angela's traversing through, to get from one place to the next. This room, to her, may very well have been the living room, where she killed her father, according to the news article.

The final meeting with Angela occurs in, yet again, an impossible room: a nonexistent staircase. It's an example of Nowhere from Silent Hill, in which two realities collide: James', the hotel; Angela's, her home. This mysterious staircase is one that ostensibly mimics her own home, much like all of the other rooms Angela is encountered in. Of course this staircase doesn't end, it only lasts as long as Angela does.

The point being: To Angela, Silent Hill is her house: the white house with white siding Angela is seen running through in the introduction; the white house with the off-white doors—think chastity, virginity—leading James into Angela's reality. Perhaps, then: to Angela, her house is Silent Hill.

*codicil: I revised this slightly on 16 July, 2009. I may do so again soon.

*codicil 2: I revised this slightly, again, on 7 September, 2009. I may do so again, as well.

*edit 3: I edited this for formatting on 23 September, 2022.
Last edited by The Adversary on 23 Sep 2022, edited 4 times in total.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
lovelytourniquet
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by lovelytourniquet »

That seems to make a lot of sense man, good observation! It is also good to see you stuck around Adversary, you had some of the best things to say. 8) Cheers!
[img]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/5349/lovelyvines4tj.jpg[/img]
Biomechanical
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Biomechanical »

Well, all that you just said makes sense. I think that the entire theme of the "otherworld" in SH2 is that it is in everybody's head, so-to-speak. Every character sees the town differently, as a personification of the things tormenting inside their heads.
So, it would make sense that angela's version of silent hill would resemble twisted visions mocking her abuse and depression. And the white doors that are not really being there is interesting too, sort of like a portal into rooms in angela's silent hill.
In the same note, eddie is seeing silent hill as people picking on him, but what would be the reason or the way that james can see eddie's silent hill? and laura's? how does laura view the town and why is she there?
[b][color=red]User is no longer active[/color][/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/biomechanical923/pulp.jpg[/img]
douche
lovelytourniquet
My Bestsellers Clerk

Well sometimes there are innocent bystandards if you will, that get caught in the middle of something. Douglas is a main example. I think Laura just happened to be there. Maybe there weren't any monsters to her. Hard to say.
Andrashi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Andrashi »

I like this theory very much! It makes a lot of sense
AngelsWhisper
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by AngelsWhisper »

A great theory. Well done!
"Gee it's as hot as hell in here."
"For me, it's always like this..."

[url=http://www.urban-butterfly.co.uk/][img]http://www.urban-butterfly.co.uk/images/banner02.gif[/img][/url]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Very interesting!
put_here_2_feel_joy
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by put_here_2_feel_joy »

It works, and it gives me something to think about over the weekend. Great job, dude. I always wondered about that scene in the opening video,
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1/Dredge_/sunsetcopy.jpg[/img]
Arthemesic
Historical Society Historian

Post by Arthemesic »

This theory is pretty much right, and interesting. By tell me, Thomas. Is this your default theory?
:P
Victory Of The Soul, Triumph Over Ordeal
Chris Sunderland

Post by Chris Sunderland »

The location of said room in Blue Creek Apartments doesn’t exist. Let me put that another way: The room itself exists, but the way into it does not. It’s an off-white door—one that appears in one other location in Silent Hill 2—with the standard apartment doors immediately to the right of it. Why then are there two doors leading into the same room?, one of which that cannot be opened; one of which that does not lead into a room at all.
You know I noticed this in my recent play through I'm doing.I never payed it much mind till then.I saw the door next too it and relized it's the only white door so far in the apartments.I figured it was some portal.I didn't know where though.Your house theory makes sence though.Now what does Eddy see?
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/2iqehhj.jpg[/img]
SilentHell
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentHell »

From my perspective He who enters silent hill also enters the "Alternate World" and don't forget the Alternate World is a world of nightmares and delusions of a person's come to life. And a place of there darkest memories take shape. So what did we learn today? (everyone See's silent hill in his/her own way)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/silenyhell/sh%20pictures/SH3Siggy.jpg[/img]

"Some Fear Dea_th Some Pray For_It"
Arthemesic

Post by Arthemesic »

SilentHell wrote:From my perspective He who enters silent hill also enters the "Alternate World" and don't forget the Alternate World is a world of nightmares and delusions of a person's come to life. And a place of there darkest memories take shape. So what did we learn today? (everyone See's silent hill in his/her own way)
But Angela's and James' nightmares collide. As we might think because the places in Angela's mind, "exists" and James sees them.
Victory Of The Soul, Triumph Over Ordeal
lovelytourniquet
My Bestsellers Clerk

For instance, the "Stairs Of Fire" sequence where James sees Angela for the last time. He says "It's hot as hell in here." and Angela follows by saying, "You see it too? For me, it's always like this." So he must at least feel a part of her "otherworld."
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

About Laura: Angela and Eddie are both persons that came to SH like james, but Laura is not. She is a vision of the past, you migth say. She was a girl that liked Mary, and hated James. She visited Mary at the hospital very often. She see's Silent hill as it looked in the past, just a normal nice town. She is there to torment James like Maria and Pyramid-head.

Please, correct me if im wrong.
B5160-R

Post by B5160-R »

Laura is real. She's the exact opposite of Maria.

Unlike Maria, she interacts with other characters (i.e. Eddie), which means she's not not an illusion to James as Maria is.
[ Un-Space Exploration - UE photo blog ]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Eddie see's people making fun of him and Laura does make fun of him. Also, James interacts in the other characters view of Silent Hill in some parts of the game.

Youre probably right, but im just saying.
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

That is a very interesting therory,and it has great evidence and support behind it.I have never thought about it that way.In that light she seems kind of pathetic in a sad way(not in a mean way!). She is kinda doomed to rome around for ever in that "house".
Spainmail
Just Passing Through

Post by Spainmail »

Excellent theory, but it seems familiar. Did you post it on the old forums?
[img]http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/9590/spainmailsignaturescenarioblem.jpg[/img]

Goddamnit woman, stop sending me these letters!
B5160-R

Post by B5160-R »

Dane wrote:Eddie see's people making fun of him and Laura does make fun of him. Also, James interacts in the other characters view of Silent Hill in some parts of the game.
What Angela see as her farther, James see as a strange looking monster.

Eddie and James both see Laura as an eight year old girl.

To determine if something is real and not an illusion or hallucination you need two individuals perceiving something as one and the same.
[ Un-Space Exploration - UE photo blog ]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

B5160-R wrote:
Dane wrote:Eddie see's people making fun of him and Laura does make fun of him. Also, James interacts in the other characters view of Silent Hill in some parts of the game.
What Angela see as her farther, James see as a strange looking monster.

Eddie and James both see Laura as an eight year old girl.

To determine if something is real and not an illusion or hallucination you need two individuals perceiving something as one and the same.
So Angela doesn't see the burning stairs as James do? :shock:

Tell me sensei.