Restless Dreams-am I really missing anything?

James got a letter. From a dead person. Oh dear.

Moderator: Moderators

DigitalDemon
Just Passing Through

Restless Dreams-am I really missing anything?

Post by DigitalDemon »

I have two copies of SH2. I have beaten tne game and gotten every possible ending, even Dog.

Yet I never bought Restless Dreams for Xbox or the greatest hits copy for PS2. So I missed out on the Maria side game and the UFO ending... tell me if you think it's worth buying just for those two things.

Btw Silent Hill 2 is the best game in the series imo!!!!!
help me i am in hell

the slave thinks he is released from bondage
only to find a stronger set of chains
Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

I never played the Maria game, but I'm sure as hell glad that I don't have the UFO ending on my version. I simply watched it on youtube to see if it was worth getting, and it just made me angry.

IMO the UFO ending was a really stupid joke, I even prefered the joke of "Dog ending" which was somewhat humorous. Besides, no ending matches up to "In water" :D
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

Clearly you've never seen Rebirth.

The Maria sidequest shows a nice side of Maria we don't get to see in the game, and provides interesting insight on her creation and on James as well. I recommend renting it at the very least, if you don't want to spend much money on it.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

I didn't mean to leave rebirth out, sorry! :shock:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Rebirth was my second fav ending, at first I didn't really understand it. But I soon found out that the game gives you a hint from the items that you are to collect and the name of the ending.

Every person naturally picks the ending they want to accept from their point of view, but I agree that "Rebirth" is just as acceptable and beautifull as "In water", both are essentially beautifull and rational to the situation. "Maria" and "Leave" also being possible, but in my opinion it's unacceptable to watch James bail on Mary after such a long and hellish journey which such motivation and decission to find Mary. To be honnest I didn't agree that he was making the right choice, and Marias character freaked me out a bit.
As for the subject.. It could be really interesting to see some more insight on the creation of Maria and a few more facts about her. Which is starting to wake up some urge inside me to get a version with Maria in it.

Does the European version for PS2 of Silent Hill 2: director's cut, Silent Hill collectoion package or special edition of Silent Hill 2 have this sidequest?
I also wonder if my saved game from the original would be compatible with them.

~ thanks.
Æ
Location: Plus Forty Seven Degrees 56' 37" Minus Sixteen Degrees 51' 08"

Post by Æ »

Yes it does. The Silent Hill pack includes Silent Hill 2: Director´s Cut which has Maria´s side quest. If you don´t have the other two games for PS2, I strongly recomend you to buy it.

I found out Maria´s story to be a lot more interesting than I was expecting because of the "other" character of the side story. Much more interesting than Maria in my opinion.
[img]http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/705/cpiadebarrierdetail1oq0.jpg[/img]
Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

I have the Silent Hill pack with all 3 PS2 games (EU version), before this I had the original Silent Hill 2 game. I got all 5 possible endings on the original, but when playing the SH2 from the pack I only ended it once. I never saw a Maria mini-game though.

Are you sure it follows the PS2 SH pack?
And if so, where?/when?/how? in the game do you play this sidequest?

~ Thanks for the answer.
Trisephagon
Just Passing Through

Post by Trisephagon »

Chrism~ wrote:I have the Silent Hill pack with all 3 PS2 games (EU version), before this I had the original Silent Hill 2 game. I got all 5 possible endings on the original, but when playing the SH2 from the pack I only ended it once. I never saw a Maria mini-game though.

Are you sure it follows the PS2 SH pack?
And if so, where?/when?/how? in the game do you play this sidequest?

~ Thanks for the answer.
I have the same EU Collection, and I don't think we get the Maria sidequest, since this pack includes the original SH2. Not the special edition.
[img]http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/2212/trisephsiggyfu2.jpg[/img]
[i]thanks for the sig milfy~[/i]
Allen
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Allen »

Don't buy the version with the Maria sidequest just for that. It's only about 20 mins once u figure out what to do and it dosn't have a boss. It is just as scary as the main game though and gives u some knowledge on a person James never meets in the main game. Liek Krist said, rent if u want.
Æ
Location: Plus Forty Seven Degrees 56' 37" Minus Sixteen Degrees 51' 08"

Post by Æ »

That is very strange... Silent Hill Collection doesn´t include the director´s cut. I checked it now. But in the portuguese version it says on the backcover that it is Silent hill 2: Director´s Cut... I don´t own the Collection but I´m pretty sure it was a translation mistake.
[img]http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/705/cpiadebarrierdetail1oq0.jpg[/img]
Chrism~
Hope House Careworker

Post by Chrism~ »

Well I don't mind spending some extra money, I might either be getting the Director's Cut or the special edition of Silent Hill 2 for PS2 then.

The Special edition seems to have an extra DVD with the making of Silent Hill 2 and some other interesting stuff. I wonder if it has the Maria sidequest though, if it does have it, that would be enough reason to get it already.

If it doesn't, I might give Director's cut a try.

~Thanks.
Xigz
Hope House Careworker

Post by Xigz »

Well, funny I find this topic today. I got Silent Hill 2 today, and I thought it was the normal version, turns out it was the Greatest Hits. So I played Born from a Wish, I'd say, that you are missing something. Is it short, yes, but it's worth it. Ernest is a really sad character, who I liked a lot. And Maria seems like a different person after that. I also really liked the mansion, it was elegant, yet unsettling, and I really wish we got to see more of it.
[b]I'm constant now, and useful too.
I know my eyes cannot see through.[/b]
Hjartu
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Hjartu »

I'd say that it's definitely worth it for the Maria scenario.

UFO ending was worth a good laugh too, if you ask me.
I know I only spent $15 on my copy, so it is worth it.
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/hjartu/junjisig.jpg[/img]
Ethos

Post by Ethos »

Well, I guess it's the best version to buy when you don't own a copy.

Didn't it say the graphics were updated? I never noticed a difference. What did they change, exactly?

I liked the Maria side quest. It was only an hour, but to me, it seemed scarier than some of Silent Hill 2, and I liked playing as Maria better than I did James.

Just provides a little bit of backstory of what she was up to before she met him, and it sheds light on some stuff about her.

So.. If you can find it for pretty cheap, I'd buy it. If not.. I dunno. The new stuff is nice, and I haven't really been through the game 100 percent myself, but I'd say it'd be worth it. I have a copy of the original and the greatest hits one.
chula05
Just Passing Through

Post by chula05 »

I had no idean that there was a separate Maria game. I'm think I'm gonna buy it only now they're so hard to find. I've gotten all the endings so I have to play that one...
Trisephagon
Just Passing Through

Post by Trisephagon »

Blue Moth wrote:to me, it seemed scarier than some of Silent Hill 2.
Really? I found the PC-version of SH2 to be extremely.. light. You know, there's no darkness anywhere. Out in the town, and especially in the Blue Creek apartments, it's like daylight. It ruins some of the feeling IMO.
Trisephagon
Just Passing Through

Post by Trisephagon »

If you want to play the sidequest but can't find the Special Edition, you could always look out for the PC version of the game. I have a copy, and it includes Born From a Wish (you don't need to unlock it, it's there from the beginning).
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I didn't care much for the maria sidequests, but they weren't that bad. I really don't think your missing much.
F

Post by F »

Wrong. He is missing a key element in the game: who provided Jim's guidance.
vampyreheathen
Just Passing Through

Post by vampyreheathen »

I've only played the restless dreams version for the xbox, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me, what exactly are the extra areas that the cover says there are?
Icarus
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Icarus »

A doctors house.
I felt [i][b]infinite[/b][/i].