Silent Hill 1 Versions?

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

silent head
Just Passing Through

Post by silent head »

one difference I found was that the glitch in the lakeside amusement park didn´t work on my PAL platinum disc.

the only glitch I got was a messed up harry, then the game died and had to restart..
sorry guy´s,but my english sucks.....so have mercy on my soul ok?
Shorttail
Just Passing Through

Post by Shorttail »

I read somewhere that certain information found in a newspaper about Alessa and the fire (other things too) were only in the European version. I haven't been able to unlock it more than once and I can't remember what exactly it said, but it was in a paper found in the late game that suddenly had a lot more info than the other times I completed the game.

I like claw finger better. The darker color and lack of head makes it scarier I think.
The best thing in life is yet to come
Sundered Angel
Just Passing Through

Post by Sundered Angel »

^ I agree, although one thing that's always bugged me; I imagine the game balance would have been changed when it was censored. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Claw Fingers more dangerous than Mumblers?
[img]http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/728/waltercrosscopyqo3.png[/img]
Shorttail
Just Passing Through

Post by Shorttail »

Probably. I haven't noticed any difference between the ones in the school, the sewer, and the park.
The best thing in life is yet to come
B5160-R
Historical Society Historian

Post by B5160-R »

Shorttail wrote:I read somewhere that certain information found in a newspaper about Alessa and the fire (other things too) were only in the European version.

Harry: "The date of this article on the fire, it's the same day that we found Cheryl."
[ Un-Space Exploration - UE photo blog ]
tizerist
Just Passing Through

Post by tizerist »

mumblers sound cool. I've only ever played with the USA version, and i think the claw fingers had a certain "beta" look to their animation, quite jerky and that.
Mind you, maybe the fact that they looked like kids suited the school better.
Caffreys84
Just Passing Through

Post by Caffreys84 »

Hmm not sure I've seen the above screenshot in my PAL version of SH1. By the way, we have a 'Platinum' version over here too, not sure if there is any difference at all as I have played both games all the way through.

I would have thought the claw fingers were more creepy than the mumblers as they never really scared me in the game. I would have thought some demon children would have disturbed me a bit more!
Pontefract Collieries AFC, Grimsby Town FC, and Halifax RLFC for life!
Watchdog
Historical Society Historian

Post by Watchdog »

Spong wrote:The James Bulger case was the probable cause for the game being censored here in the UK. A toddler was snatched from his mother and killed by two boys aged about 9 or 10 years-old. As a result, there was a period in the UK where children and violence was a big no-no across all media, and the knife-wielding babies of Silent Hill fell victim of that. The Chucky films (which were ultimately blamed for the crime) were totally banned on all formats for a while.
I'm sure that if SH1 was re-released it'd stay intact this time.
Really? I would have thought that the memory of the Dunblane incident was a more appropriate reason for the child demons' removal.

You know, seeing as how you'd have been in a school, shooting at children...
Spong
Gravedigger

Post by Spong »

^ I'd forgotten about Dunblane, but I think that happened several years before SH1, whereas the James Bulger case was the same year.
Whitney
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Whitney »

I know this is an old topic but there's another version of SH1, the Asian release. It's the one that looks like the Japanese edition except it doesn't have the red triangle warning on the cover and it comes in a thicker Playstation jewel case:

other views:

http://www.whitneychavis.com/shc/images/sh/04b.jpg
http://www.whitneychavis.com/shc/images/sh/04d.jpg
http://www.whitneychavis.com/shc/images/sh/04e.jpg
My Websites!
Image Image Image
Whitney
SHH Staff Writer

Post by Whitney »

There's also an Asian version of the game. It looks just like the first edition Japanese release except it doesn't have a triangle warning logo and it's in a thicker jewel case:

Catalogue #: SCPS-45380
http://www.whitneychavis.com/shc/images/sh/04.jpg

Some people try and sell this version as a first edition Japanese release so be careful! The Japanese release always has the triangle warning logo.
My Websites!
Image Image Image
666theheartless666
Just Passing Through

Post by 666theheartless666 »

B5160-R wrote:There's three; the Japanese, the US and the UK PAL version.

The Japanese and US version are the same in content, but in the UK PAL version the demon children are replaced with the mumblers.
I dont get why we dont have the demon children in england, i was so annoyed when i watched the movie cos thats how i found out they existed and id never heard of them before ....

so frustrating.
~I've been to Isaac world, but no one will know that you have~
Haoie
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Haoie »

I'm unfortunate enough to have the PAL version.

Censorship sucks!!
If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.
SyphonFilter1987

Post by SyphonFilter1987 »

Yes it does. :evil:
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

666theheartless666 wrote:
I dont get why we dont have the demon children in england, i was so annoyed when i watched the movie cos thats how i found out they existed and id never heard of them before ....

so frustrating.
If I remember correctly the PAL demo had the grey children in it, I seem to recall being perplexed by their absence in the finished product.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
Haoie
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Haoie »

It was due to the Germans, I think.
ur-vile
Hope House Careworker

Post by ur-vile »

Does anyone have the "uncensored" version that was floating around usenet years ago?

I don't know my Silent Hill 1 very well but it seems to just be the US version
Endri
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Endri »

Regarding to "Silent Hill verisons", actually...

Back in 1999, the version I got was slightly different from the ones we are used to play.

My brother brought it to see, so I have no clue where, how he goit it, or if it was the only version available in the store or not.

It's a US version. The cover was different, it featured Cybil, as opposed of Harry, with a greenishy photoshop effect, as opposed of a greyishy one. It was also written "Be affraid, Very Affraid" under the Silent Hill inscription, in bold red text.

The title screen was green, or, more or les, the background was black, and the "Silent Hill" logo was somewhat like the SH2 one, with greenishy grains. I don't really remember exactly.

Also, in this game, it was missing all the "secret" weapons.

That was the version that I belived to be, until 2003, the only version of Silent Hill 1. At 2003, after the release of SH3, a lot of friends buyied the original PSOne version in order to play it. And I then realised that these versions were all the same, and were different from the version I got. Because, while playing them, there were things that happened that I couldn't remember happening in the version I used to play.

When put in the computer's CD-ROM drive, this version I used to have had a different SLUS from the common version.

I belive I lost this version some years ago. I didn't though it was anything at all, and I though that version was common knowledge, so I never bothered. And now I'm so sad, because I think it should've been documented. :(

But now that I think of it, I think I might know were it is! I gotta check it out.
http://endri.webs.com
[spoiler]Harry's name isn't Harry. Harry is just a nickname. His name is Harrold.
James' actual occupation is clerk.
Heather smoked until the age of 17.
EDIT - INFLAMATORY - T.
Travis is virgin.
Alex's a uninteresting character.

The bushes in the original SMB are also the clouds.

artic[b]UNO[/b], zap[b]DOS[/b], mol[b]TRES[/b][/spoiler]
Haoie
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Haoie »

If they're the same, they'll take the same mem card save.
Endri
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Endri »

They don't.
http://endri.webs.com
[spoiler]Harry's name isn't Harry. Harry is just a nickname. His name is Harrold.
James' actual occupation is clerk.
Heather smoked until the age of 17.
EDIT - INFLAMATORY - T.
Travis is virgin.
Alex's a uninteresting character.

The bushes in the original SMB are also the clouds.

artic[b]UNO[/b], zap[b]DOS[/b], mol[b]TRES[/b][/spoiler]