Two different types of PS1 Silent Hill Cd's

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Cactusgod
Just Passing Through

Two different types of PS1 Silent Hill Cd's

Post by Cactusgod »

Guys. I picked up another copy of Silent Hill from a local EBgames, because I couldn't find my old one, and I popped that in and started playing. Now, using the same playstation as I did my original copy of the game and having the same memory cards I used to save the game, both times my memory card was erased.

Now, I found the original copy of Silent Hill that I owned. This disc was pure black with the words Silent Hill in grey. (The newer one I got is all silver with a picture of Alessa on it)

I was just curious to know if anyone had similar problems using the Alessa disc, as opposed to using the black Silent Hill disc. I havent started a new game using the black one yet, but I plan on doing so very soon.
disappeared
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by disappeared »

Start your PlayStation without a game in it and check to see if your original SH files are still on the memory card. It may just be that the Greatest Hits version isn't registering the save files from your original copy of the game - although I've never heard about that problem before.
-----------------------------------------------------
"If destiny interferes with reality, one
man's determination may merely be what
is determined by his fate."
-----------------------------------------------------
TransientJetlag
Just Passing Through

Post by TransientJetlag »

yeah, the all black with the grey text is the greatest hits version of the game. silver with allessa is the normal.
RecurringNightmare

Post by RecurringNightmare »

MUST you have a PSone memory card to be able to save if you are playing this on PS2?
CasuallyDressed
Hope House Careworker

Post by CasuallyDressed »

Yep, you can't use a PS2 memory card for PS1 games. Wrong format or summink.
[img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e277/steve_juneau/Matt.jpg[/img]

[url=http://www.myspace.com/brian_wants_brains]Add me on MySpazz![/url]
Moosefrenzy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Moosefrenzy »

Casually is right. If you intend on playing any ps1 game on the ps2, you need to put a ps1 memory card in the ps2 slot. It works, don't think it will screw up your console. I've used it for Silent Hill and Final Fantasy VII.

Thanks for the heads up on the different disc cover versions. I wasn't aware. I'm glad I have the Alessa version.
RecurringNightmare

Post by RecurringNightmare »

ok well i found my PSone memory card. whew. got crackin playing SH1 started at 1am est and just finished about an hour ago and its nearing 8am. normal difficulty and got the good+ ending so it was worth it. i played the game once when i rented it shortly after it came out.. i dont recall it being THIS good but hey playing the other ones gets you hooked.. even with the subpar graphics and just, ugly cut scenes, this one is definitely the creepiest.. after awhile the graphics didnt bother me as i was sucked into the game. cut scenes were the only thing i didnt like graphics wise. oh and the controls are bad i had to get used to that 3D control that i ALWAYS disable in the other games but dont think you can do it here.. anyways, good play, good+ ending, and now its time to go goodnight..
Shorttail
Just Passing Through

Post by Shorttail »

There are differences between the Japanese, American, and especially the European versions of the first game. But then again that probably doesn't have anything to do with as NTSC and PAL don't get along.
The best thing in life is yet to come
LanceS133
Historical Society Historian

Post by LanceS133 »

What version of Silent Hill has Alessa's face on the cover like she's laying in bed? Her face looks slightly burned

Ehh since I'm asking, what version is the one with Harry on the cover in black and white and he's looking to the left?
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
LaraeGunn
Subway Guard

Post by LaraeGunn »

My German copy has that cover. Does that help?
European, my friend. (the Alessa one)

The other one is US. (Harry)
LanceS133

Post by LanceS133 »

"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
B5160-R

Post by B5160-R »

Three -- Japanese; American; European.
[ Un-Space Exploration - UE photo blog ]
mr. mason
Just Passing Through

Re: Two different types of PS1 Silent Hill Cd's

Post by mr. mason »

just so you guys know...thats cheryl on the disk. not alessa.
Words are our worst enimies, Only actions speak the truth.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

This thread hasn't been posted in for almost 4 years now, so it's probably okay to let things like this slide.
Be sure to check the last date the thread has been actively posted in so you're not bumping really old things. It just helps keep things a little more organized and give priority to the more currently relevant topics.
Ulrike Meinhof
Just Passing Through

Re:

Post by Ulrike Meinhof »

LanceS133 wrote:Thanks :D , how many copies were there exactly?
In terms of territories, I think there were four copies issued (Japanese, American, European and Asian). The Asian version looks similar to the Japanese version, but comes in a 'fat' PSOne case (like the European version, but with a Japanese cover) and has instructions in Chinese, Japanese and English.

In terms of different versions being published (ie: re-releases), I can think of ten off-hand if you include the European promo version.

And that's not taking into account the different countries in Europe who had their own manuals to reflect their native and respective languages...
ss4gogeta0
Just Passing Through

Re:

Post by ss4gogeta0 »

LanceS133 wrote:What version of Silent Hill has Alessa's face on the cover like she's laying in bed? Her face looks slightly burned

Ehh since I'm asking, what version is the one with Harry on the cover in black and white and he's looking to the left?
the one with harry is the normal NTSCU one (since my dad bought it way back when it was released.... and its the one i have now)
i think the alessa one is the japanese version...
"Must one Born from Adam, Return to Adam?" - Kaowru Nagisa
"Come Adam's Dark Shadow, Searvent of the Lillim"- Kaowru Nagisa
Ulrike Meinhof
Just Passing Through

Post by Ulrike Meinhof »

The burnt face in repose cover is the UK and European Pal version. (If it has a silver edge at the bottom, it's the Platinum re-release.)

The Harry cover is indeed the American NTSC version. (If it has a green edge at the left hand side, it's the Greatest Hits re-release.)

The Japanese and Asian NTSC-J covers are actually just made up of white tiles with the 'ENT' of Silent Hill smeared on top in red. There were actually three re-issues in Japan (Konami - The Best, PSOne Books (old Konami logo) and PSOne Books (new Konami logo). All sport the same cover, with the slight exception of the Konami - The Best re-release which has a crazed Lisa Garland superimposed over the tiles looking out at you.
theREALmgo
Just Passing Through

Post by theREALmgo »

Maybe this will help you : Cheryl
Burnt Alessa
i_am_mgo.i_am_awesome.