Search FAQ

Login | Register

All times are UTC [ DST ]

It is currently 07 Dec 2019

Just Passing Through
 Post subject: Are the roads really cut off?

Missing since: 24 Aug 2006
Notes left: 53
I didn't see a topic on this, but I am kind of new, so feel free to slap me if there is.

I dont think theres a spoiler here, but I'll mark it anyway just incase. [spoiler]My question is, are the roads really cut off? I noticed in the play novel at Valtiel's Silent Hill site that Cybil mentions Cheryl walking on thin air. I honestly don't recall if this was in the game, but I was curious.

Do you guys think that the roads are really cut off when Silent Hill is in the Foggy stage? I mean, of course Alessa probably has the a ability to just walk across thin air in her own domain, however, none of the characters actually stuck their feet over the edge and actually felt for anything, nor did they toss a rock or anything like that. Is it possible that the people in Silent Hill actually trap themselves mentally, and that there is a means of escape, even if its just past where Alessa wants them to go?[/spoiler]

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 23 Aug 2006
Notes left: 33
Last seen at: Eastern Europe
Yes, I think they are - in foggy SH that is. I don't think there are any cut off roads in Real Silent Hill. In the Foggy one, Alessa cut them off to stop Harry, Kaufmann, Dahlia and possibly others to escape. Do they mentally trap themselves? Well, Alessa traps them inside her nightmares. The whole Foggy Silent Hill is her creation, and so are the cut off roads.

BTW, What I noticed about the FSH is the lack of cars. You see some of them crashed or parked, but they are very few...

Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11979
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
No. Silent Hill's form changes to suit its purposes. IN SH3 Heather heads to Lakeside Amusement Park along Nathan Road, which, if SH2's geography was real, is impossible due to the chasm on Nathan Road. This proves that the chasms are not real, but manifest as needed to force the characters to go where they're needed.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 22 Apr 2006
Notes left: 1085
Last seen at: Cambridgeshire
>BTW, What I noticed about the FSH is the lack of cars. You see some of them crashed or parked, but they are very few...

Considering the year in time the event happened, I'd say that was perfectly normal. For instance, I look at photos of three-year-old me, riding my tricycle on the street outside my house, and there's only one car in the photo. Now I go down that street to see my sister and it's impossible to find a parking space.

RESPECT
 Post subject:

Missing since: 19 Jul 2003
Notes left: 19401
Last seen at: #lfk
>none of the characters actually stuck their feet over the edge and actually felt for anything
In that reality, yes, there are chasms within the roads. If you manage to kill an Air Screamer mid-flight, over one of the chasms, it will drop, and it won't land.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 07 Aug 2004
Notes left: 1397
Last seen at: Yorkton, SK, Canada
Not to mention you can see houses and streetlights sunk down and hanging over the spots where the roads were destroyed.

is determined by his fate."
-----------------------------------------------------

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 24 Aug 2006
Notes left: 53
Well the street lights and such could merely be more of the illusion.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Missing since: 07 Aug 2004
Notes left: 1397
Last seen at: Yorkton, SK, Canada
There was no illusion. The roads were physically destroyed.

is determined by his fate."
-----------------------------------------------------

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Missing since: 10 Jun 2006
Notes left: 357
How does that explain them magically getting put back together? I guess things in Silent Hill do not require and explanation... But you know what I mean.

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Notes left: 629
Last seen at: Traversing the Portals of Reality
I always took it to mean the roads were "obliterated", quoting Cybil, in the "foggy" Silent Hill b/c, obviously, Harry could just walk out of SH if there wasn't anything keeping him there. To me it always added onto the overall creepiness, the roads were gone, there was no escape.

Cactusgod wrote:
I noticed in the play novel at Valtiel's Silent Hill site that Cybil mentions Cheryl walking on thin air. I honestly don't recall if this was in the game, but I was curious.

Cybil does say that to Harry when she finds you at the Antique Shop in Central Silent Hill. Before that Harry says something like "And you just let her go? Where was it?", and Cybil says something like "She was on Bachman Road, I tried to follow her but it was like she walking on thin air."

Post subject:

Missing since: 21 Jul 2003
Notes left: 11979
Last seen at: Nova Scotia, Canada
Fredrick2003 wrote:
How does that explain them magically getting put back together? I guess things in Silent Hill do not require and explanation... But you know what I mean.

The chasms are very real while they are manifesting. The topography of Silent Hill changes to suit its needs. The chasm on Nathan Road I mentioned, for example, forces James into the Historical Society and the Labyrinth. That's where he needs to go in his quest for self-destruction. Heather, however, needs to get to the Amusement Park ASAP, so the chasm does not manifest there for her.

Silent Hill is like Rose Red.

and said "There you are.
There you are.
There's my heart..."

Subway Guard
 Post subject:

Missing since: 02 Aug 2005
Notes left: 1523
Last seen at: Colombia
The streets just are destryed in the Foggy and Dark Silent Hills

[spoiler]In other way how could Harry leave the town with the baby??[/spoiler]

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

Well we never see what happens after harry takes the baby into the light... Could be all "normal" out there again.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 28 Aug 2006
Notes left: 16
Last seen at: Somewhere that could get me killed
Personally, I was never quite sure if the roads being gone were real or not. Like, I'm sure in the characters' minds, the chasms were very real. They couldn't leave or walk over them or anything because (like in the Matrix) the mind makes it real. But in reality, I find it rather hard to believe that the roads were actually ripped away and coveniently repaired by Silent Hill depending upon where it wanted the character to go.

I suppose it is certainly possible, though.

Quote:
Silent Hill is like Rose Red.

Yeah, like Rose Red.

Woodside Apartments Janitor
 Post subject:

Missing since: 29 May 2006
Notes left: 1096
Last seen at: Mormons HQ
Fredrick2003 wrote:
Well we never see what happens after harry takes the baby into the light... Could be all "normal" out there again.

[spoiler]propably they managed to escape because after Alessas dead city got back to its normal abandoned state[/spoiler]

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

In the matrix your mind makes it real, but in silent hill does it hmmm O_O???

SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber
 Post subject:

Notes left: 629
Last seen at: Traversing the Portals of Reality
I think the difference is, in Silent Hill, a chasm where a road should be is very real. I highly doubt Harry and Cybil were imagining it.

Cafe5to2 Waitress
 Post subject: Re: Are the roads really cut off?

Missing since: 02 Jul 2006
Notes left: 156
Cactusgod wrote:
I didn't see a topic on this, but I am kind of new, so feel free to slap me if there is.

I dont think theres a spoiler here, but I'll mark it anyway just incase. [spoiler]My question is, are the roads really cut off? I noticed in the play novel at Valtiel's Silent Hill site that Cybil mentions Cheryl walking on thin air. I honestly don't recall if this was in the game, but I was curious.

Do you guys think that the roads are really cut off when Silent Hill is in the Foggy stage? I mean, of course Alessa probably has the a ability to just walk across thin air in her own domain, however, none of the characters actually stuck their feet over the edge and actually felt for anything, nor did they toss a rock or anything like that. Is it possible that the people in Silent Hill actually trap themselves mentally, and that there is a means of escape, even if its just past where Alessa wants them to go?[/spoiler]

I think they are physically destroyed too. And she says that when you're at the antique shop if i remember rightly. :P The idea of it being mental was probably put there by team silent ;p

[spoiler]like the scene in SH3 when Vincent suggests that the monsters may be normal people[/spoiler]

Silent Hill V forums

My Bestsellers Clerk
 Post subject:

I wish I could see a character try to step over one of them... Ya never know until you try.

Just Passing Through
 Post subject:

Missing since: 28 Aug 2006
Notes left: 62
breremarer wrote:
Personally, I was never quite sure if the roads being gone were real or not. Like, I'm sure in the characters' minds, the chasms were very real. They couldn't leave or walk over them or anything because (like in the Matrix) the mind makes it real.

Using the GameShark no-clipping code enables Harry to walk across the chasms, and then eventually into the void.