I have a few questions I need the pros to answer.

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Cactusgod
Just Passing Through

I have a few questions I need the pros to answer.

Post by Cactusgod »

Ok guys. I'm new to these forums. I've been faithfully playing Silent Hill from the first one on, and I have a few problems. For one, I totally don't understand the major parts of the story. I mean, I could sum up each of the stories no problem, but I mean all of this Seal of Metradon(spelling) stuff and beyond.

My main question is, How does everyone know so much beyond the game. Are there actual website resources where the games creators have posted up such information about this world they've created, or are most of these points just conjecture assumed to be true?

If there are, could someone link me to actual plot summary guides and information that is based on actual known fact and not pure opinionated speculation? I really want to understand this world, because its one of the most extremely creative and complex one I've ever seen.

Thats the most important thing for me right now, I want to really understand it all! Help me out guys! ;p
alone in the town
Historical Society Historian

Post by alone in the town »

Trust me, you'll get a lot more out of reading user theories on this board than you will out of practically any plot guide available. Go through this forum section or use amphreded's quicklinks, and browse the theories.
Cactusgod
Just Passing Through

Post by Cactusgod »

My problem though is, theres an insane amount to read. How can you tell whats actually the truth (in terms of the game creators intentions) and whats made up in the minds of the fans?
disappeared
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by disappeared »

This forum would be a good place to start. Do some searching for the topics you're interested in, and go from there.

Otherwise, start with these:

http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2362

http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2313

http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2327

http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2343
-----------------------------------------------------
"If destiny interferes with reality, one
man's determination may merely be what
is determined by his fate."
Cactusgod
Just Passing Through

Post by Cactusgod »

Ah this is beautiful, thanks a lot. So basically though, most of what we know has been deduced from theories then? I mean...obviously extremely plausible theories , but unconfirmed information?
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

You're not going to find a whole lot of completely ironclad information because there isn't a lot to find. Years and years of analysis by some good people have pretty much narrowed a lot of it down, though.

Usually, if St. Thomas or myself say it, it's almost certainly true, beacause we're smarter than the entire world, though he articulates better and he came up with most of the best theories around here.
Cactusgod
Just Passing Through

Post by Cactusgod »

Ok. Thats great, because that's what's really been haunting me about this game. I think it's really a stroke of genius that the game creators barely let anything slip out to us, so that the game really does become ours.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Occasionally I have ideas as well.

*shoves Ryan just a little bit*
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
disappeared
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by disappeared »

(ramblings of a fool)
Last edited by disappeared on 24 Aug 2006, edited 2 times in total.
"If destiny interferes with reality, one
man's determination may merely be what
is determined by his fate."
Lifetolifeless
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Lifetolifeless »

Cactusgod wrote:My problem though is, theres an insane amount to read. How can you tell whats actually the truth (in terms of the game creators intentions) and whats made up in the minds of the fans?
You run into a big obstacle there in that the creators have made something -- a series of somethings -- whose reverberations have grown beyond the borders of their own peripheral vision. With four official installments, a few in the brew, and a movie to take into consideration, there are folks around here who can add more valuable insight than anything contained in any sort of 'official' companion to the series.

It's not all that daunting; just scan around for some topics regarding your heavier questions, and anything that makes sense will naturally send you along any amount of other subsidiary paths. You just have to sustain the stamina to keep reading.

Patience is the darkest side of power.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Drewfus wrote:Occasionally I have ideas as well.

*shoves Ryan just a little bit*
You mean that one post? Much Ado About Nothing? :P
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
jsunderland67
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by jsunderland67 »

Yeah see nothing a whole lot is confirmed by officials. There's most of theories and little fact cause the creators of the game leave alot of it up for deep thought and interpretation for us to figure out. That's one of the things about these games. This game is made with a such a deep THOUGHT PROVOKING sense of darknness and reality it starts to REALLY make you think about stuff, and therefor make theories and conjectures about stuff. That's one of the reasons I have LOVE this game series. It makes you think, ALOT. You'll sooner or later if you're here long enough and pay attention good enough and read and fall into what we say you'll probably come up with your own thoughts too, and when you do I will love to hear them. I've thought up so pretty damn good stuff, especially on Pyramid Head(from the second game). Hope to read you soon, lol.
Only the Dark One opens and closes the door to Silent Hill.
Fredrick2003
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Fredrick2003 »

The Book of Lost Memories contains "official" information I believe.
Figurine
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Figurine »

Fredrick2003 wrote:The Book of Lost Memories contains "official" information I believe.
But its translated so can be misinterpreted....
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/StrangeEmily/Silent%20Hill/mariasig.gif[/img]
jthomp1286
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by jthomp1286 »

Misinterpretation does not necessarily constitute incorrect information though. I found Lost Memories to be very insightful. Correct or slightly incorrect, it's very thought provoking as well and deserves to be read.

But Cactusgod, while there are many theories here that have been established and are revered to be true, you also have to think for yourself. Take what you read, look at the game, look at the events, the characters, etc. and try to discern your own theories. Just because something is accepted doesn't mean it can't be challenged or at least added on to, also that does not necessarily mean it's correct or incorrect. That's the beauty of the SH realm, you have to look beyond the surface and find the truth for yourself, in your own way. I've come up with my own theories, I have been wrong and I have been right. That's not the point though, the point is that it makes you a better player, if you can better understand the universe of SH.
Under the burning sun I take a look around
Imagine if this all came down
Fredrick2003
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Fredrick2003 »

Did anyone happen to see the Book of Lost memories on ebay yesterday?

It came with the DVD and the book and its final sale price was $455 plus another $8 for shipping.

Was the winning bidder anyone here >_>?
Cactusgod
Just Passing Through

Post by Cactusgod »

I appreciate all the responses guys. I've been looking around now quite a bit since I made this topic and I'm really getting into the games more than I ever thought I would. Its...just a great game series. It really is.
Watchdog

Post by Watchdog »

jthomp1286 wrote:Misinterpretation does not necessarily constitute incorrect information though.
In the translated Battle Royale novel, I recall one particular clause in which the name Shinji is substituted entirely by the name Shuya. Completely wrong information, but still something that slipped under the proof-readers' radar. Something similar could have happened just as easily with the Translated Memories, so you have got to look twice at whatever you're reading.
jsunderland67
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by jsunderland67 »

Jthomp, I don't think I could've said it better myself. That's pretty much true.
Only the Dark One opens and closes the door to Silent Hill.
Fredrick2003
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Fredrick2003 »

Im sure if there was a major problem with the translation of the Book of Lost Memories someone would have caught it by now...? Dont you think?