Sympathy for the devil?

Have you seen Harry's daughter anywhere? Short, dark hair?

Moderator: Moderators

Smells Like Children
Just Passing Through

Sympathy for the devil?

Post by Smells Like Children »

After plaaying Silent Hill through I personally found myself feeling sorry for Alessa. I mean the poor girl has been trough hell. First being bullied in school, then being used by this weird cult and being burnt alive by her own psycho mother. I mean no wonder she has turned out the way she is. Me,personally I see the darkness that is changed Silent Hill as almost like a cry for help from Alessa and the reason its all so fucked up is because her childhood has been fucked up. Or am I just a bit of a weirdo for feeling sorry for her?
"A boats a boat but the mystery box could be anything! It could even be a boat! You know how much we've wanted one of those!" Peter Griffin, Genius.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Not at all. I think it was actually the aim of the creators to instill a sense of sympathy for Alessa's sad tale. Your feelings aren't odd in the slightest.
Yana
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Yana »

Yeah i did feel abit for her! My cuz got bullied at school so that is what made me feel for her. 8)
[url=http://iampaddy.com/spell/]Learn To Fucking Spell[/url]
Smells Like Children
Just Passing Through

Post by Smells Like Children »

Wow i actually feel normal......For once
"A boats a boat but the mystery box could be anything! It could even be a boat! You know how much we've wanted one of those!" Peter Griffin, Genius.
Flauros
Just Passing Through

Post by Flauros »

I do feel sorry for Alessa, but I do have one tiny point to interject:

I don't think the darkness was a cry for help. That would imply that she wanted attention.

Rather, the darkness was to hide from her mother in, and repel anyone who she sent to look for her (i.e. Harry).
"And God said, 'At the time of fullness, cleanse the world with my rage.'"

[img]http://img1.yoxio.com/img/107276.jpg[/img]
Goodnight
Historical Society Historian

Post by Goodnight »

I have to agree with Flauros.
lain of the wired
Historical Society Historian
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

Alessa was pretty much designed to be a sympathetic character. Her tragic circumstances, her background, and her past were all written in such a way that the player would be unable to help feeling sorry for her. Unless they were some kind of sociopath. It's the same thing with Aeris in FFVII- y'hated the crap out of her because she was the weakest fighter, but then you end up bawling as you fight Jenova after that nasty Sephiroth encounter.

:!: To those of you who hated FFVII- I don't care. No one cares. No spamming the thread saying how you didn't bawl or didn't play- it's off topic. It was merely an example of video game creation of the sympathetic character. Shut up and go bother someone else. :!:
Last edited by lain of the wired on 03 Jul 2006, edited 2 times in total.
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Unless they were some kind of sociopath.
Like Henry LULZ!!!
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Scottie_Neptune
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Scottie_Neptune »

yeah it kinda sucked to be alessa
Always remeber....thought shalt not kill.....but hear this.......Fuck! That! Shit!
Alessa
Just Passing Through

Post by Alessa »

I agree with Flauros. The darkness was created to protect her from Dahlia. Also, why did you name your topic 'Sympathy for the devil'? Alessa was anything but the devil.
.-Ape-Demon-.
Gravedigger

Post by .-Ape-Demon-. »

I always feel sorry for Alessa. Hell, your suppoused to feel sorry for almost everyone in that story with the exception of Dahalia and Kauffman, I think. Me personaly, I felt sorry even for the monsters, as stupid as that sounds. I feel sorry for alot of weird stuff, but you dont need to feel sorry for Alessa at all.

She was a girl that went through hell, then subsequently made her own.
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. "
-Marcus Aurelius

"Abraham Lincon was born in a log cabin which he built with his own hands"
-Anonymous College Student.

"If the crib is on fire, you don't assume the baby is flame retardant."
-Al Gore
MeatyDistraction
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MeatyDistraction »

I sympathize with Alessa. Those people got what they had coming for what they did. Period.

That was the one thing the movie illustrated perfectly. What the people did to Alessa, and what Alessa did to the people.
"Are you goin' to Hell or Heaven? Did you walk with the sinners, or pray with the reverend? Tell the truth, I did a little of both, but ain't no tellin' where I'm goin' 'til my body's a ghost."
ControlFreak
Subway Guard

Post by ControlFreak »

Alessa has to be one of my favourite characters.
You feel sympathy for her, but also a kind of admiration for fighting back.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

did this sympathy for alyssa carry on in the third game?
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

I can't help myself, I just have to...

It's spelled Alessa. A-L-E-S-S-A. No Y is present in her name. I've been seeing that misspelling a lot since the movie came out for some reason, though they didn't change the spelling.

Forgive my anal retentiveness; I'm a spelling and grammar freak. :P

On topic, I felt sorry for Alessa as well, and nothing changed that in the third game.
Silent Vamphyri
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Silent Vamphyri »

Of course I felt for Alessa. How could one not? A young girl with life threatening burns being kept alive in the basement of a crappy hospital? I'd be a heartless creep if I didn't feel something for the girl. I just wish that in the 1st game they explained more of her backstory. I felt that when I played the game I didn't get the full picture until I looked up plotlines online afterwards.
FoxDie
Just Passing Through

Post by FoxDie »

I also felt great sympathy for Alessa. She doesnt draw as much sympathy in the thirs game because she is heather now and heather is bad ass and takes control. But when you fight yourself it brings back those feeling since it reminds you of the degree of suffering that was inflicted upon Alessa.
Everyone has killed an hour. Not casually or without thought but carefully: a premeditated murder of minutes.The violence comes from a combinations of giving up, and the resignation that getting past it is all you can accomplish. When at last it is over there is no evidence: no weapon, no blood, and no body. The only clue might be the shadow under your eyes or the line in the corner of your mouth indicating that something has been suffered, that in the privacy of your life you have lost something and the loss is to empty to share.
Follower
Just Passing Through

Post by Follower »

All of the Silent Hill games invoke a great sense of sympathy within me for each of the villains, of course Alessa is an extra special case, being so young and so tortured by her own mother, what makes me feel further remorse is the fact that these kind of things do happen in real life, no not satanic towns but for example there was recently a case of abuse in Britain by a mother towards her child because her religious adviser had told her the child was possessed by the devil, not same circumstances exactly but it didn't remind me of SH1...
http://shiyounonai.blogspot.com/
mrow
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by mrow »

It surprises me that some people might not be sympathetic to Alessa. I don't think any of her actions are calculated in terms like, "Harry is a threat to me, I must destroy him." I think she thinks in terms more like "I want to protect myself from Harry." The reason the obstacles she places in Harry's path are so lethal and horrible is because she is a hurt girl who has been exposed to many horrible things in her existence.
JENKIJOE10605
Just Passing Through

Post by JENKIJOE10605 »

i agree with Flauros.