Monster Symbolism ?

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

spot on
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

I'm sure that those damn bat-moth like monsters real meaning was just to give you headaches.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
HarleyQuinnofHate
Just Passing Through

Post by HarleyQuinnofHate »

Sticking with the whole womb theme, I always saw the Toadstools as sperm fertilizing an egg. It you watch the movements, it pretty much mimics it.
OnlyFiendsAlouded
Just Passing Through

Post by OnlyFiendsAlouded »

Let's go one by one.

Dogs: dogs are a common character in Silent Hill, they appear on SH1 and SH3 with some differences. In this case, the toungue is the thing that Walter gave them in his own world. The long tounge is pretty much like a umbilical cordom (I don't know if it is spelled like that, but you undestand). The "umbilical cordom" appears in many parts of the game, hanging here and there, and you find the real thing in the Superintendent Sunderland's place. It represents the bond of Walter and his mother (which he thinks is the room).

Phantoms: they are each one of the victims of Walter's ritual, incluiding the image you see as Walter himself, as he killed himself for the ritual. He is more "present" because he's the one who performs the ritual I guess.

TwinHeads: they are the only victims who don't appear as ghosts, two children (who are mentioned in SH2) who he killed for the ritual. They don't appear as ghosts because of their... inocence? I guess it's because of that. Given that the ghosts, acording to me, aren't really ghosts, but Walters reminder for himself of his actions, I'm guessing he felt remorse for killing children, giving them a different image, not the one of a tormented ghosts, but of another creature.

Monkey thing or whatever: I don't quite remember that part of the game, but I think that Walter, having killed the pet shop owner, just gave the whole episode a form, (if you watch the monster, you will notice that it's not quite a monkey, but a humanoid monkey with a cat face on his chest, a weird misk of reminders).

The weird things growing from the ground: I think it's related with Walter's experiences as a child in the water prision... I'm guessing some weird disgusting stuff grew on the ceilings and walls of the whole place, and he just disliked it. Let's call it an emotional scar. But also I think it has something to do with what the guy above me said, about sperm. I think it's a bit of both.

Leeches: damn, this one is hard... let me think...

I'm still thinking a few minutes later haha. I'm thinking about leeches, they suck blood... I don't know how it could be related to anything. They first appear on the water prision, but I don't know how to relate it to Walter's life. I'll skip it, sorry dude.

Wall monsters: also having trouble with this one. I'll risk that it has something to do with giving life to an inanimated object such as a wall. A methafor for life in something inanimated, as in Walter's "mother": the room. Still, I wouldn't bet anything on this explanation, I'm not so sure.

Hospital monsters: I'm not so sure if they are nurses or just something in a hospital. But what I'm sure about is that it represents dislike for hospital, cause' in the hospital women give birth, a subject that you must be careful touching if you're Walter.

Wheelchairs: just more dislike for hospitals.

There are some variations of the monsters mentioned, but they still represent the same stuff, just weirder.
Midori-chan
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Midori-chan »

AuraTwilight wrote:Those are Patients, not Nurses.
I bought a game guide a long time ago, and clearly remember it saying 'nurses'.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/profile/Midori-tan/]Profile[/url]\\[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Midori-tan]My Anime List[/url]\\[url=http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Midori-tan]My Manga List[/url]
carneeval
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by carneeval »

^
It seriously calls them nurses? Hm, I guess if it would they'd want to keep the tradition up that the hospital has 'nurses', the only time I've seen them actually called 'Patients' was on here and assumed that was the name.
(Finally, an SH4 thread up again that's actual discussion *Sigh of relief*)
[img]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa187/animefairyofdarkness/o0p1cpjpgcopy.jpg[/img]
Most people say Henry's a pervert because of looking through the peephole to Eileen's room, but here's the thing: Your not required to do that, it's the players choice.
So whose the pervert now :P?

((Apparently you can OD on Green Tea...And it's painful.))
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

They're officially patients, not nurses. The guide is mistaken.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
carneeval
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by carneeval »

^
Are game guides made by beta testers or people whom play or by the makers?
[img]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa187/animefairyofdarkness/o0p1cpjpgcopy.jpg[/img]
Most people say Henry's a pervert because of looking through the peephole to Eileen's room, but here's the thing: Your not required to do that, it's the players choice.
So whose the pervert now :P?

((Apparently you can OD on Green Tea...And it's painful.))
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

carneeval wrote:^
People who play the games, for the most part. The Ultimania series of guides in Japan for Final Fantasy is made by the creators, but for the most part in the West guides are made by players who get the game early, I believe.
SethSunderland
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by SethSunderland »

Yuki wrote:
People who play the games, for the most part. The Ultimania series of guides in Japan for Final Fantasy is made by the creators, but for the most part in the West guides are made by players who get the game early, I believe.
A sad fact, for many guides have misinformation and stupid things in them. Guides written by the creators are usually much more interesting and in-depth. For example, the official Halo3 guide from Bungie was extremely detailed on many aspects and additional information.

Either way, I think the guide writers should be told what everything is called. ._.
[img]http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5484/sethsunderlandnewdigjr5.jpg[/img]
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

SethSunderland wrote:
Yuki wrote:
A sad fact, for many guides have misinformation and stupid things in them. Guides written by the creators are usually much more interesting and in-depth. For example, the official Halo3 guide from Bungie was extremely detailed on many aspects and additional information.

Either way, I think the guide writers should be told what everything is called. ._.
It would be expensive to do, but I really would like to see guides made by the game companies. They give all sorts of interviews anyway; they could potentially at least have the developers look at rough drafts and the like.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

The better game guides are made by people who have walked through the game with the developers. A friend of mine who works in the industry (he did have a job for Climax and was able to tell me about their 'Silent Hill Remake' before it was released, but now he works for a company called Eurocom) tells me so anyway, often when the game's not yet finished, or is in it's final stages, somebody will play through the game with the developers during the testing, and take notes for a guide.

As for monster symbolism, I found that when I read that the "nurses" were actually named "patients", the hilarious burping sounds kinda made a bit more sense - I think their guttural throat sounds are supposed to be the sounds of sickness/vomiting but the belch noise ended up occurring way too often. The rest of the noises they make are all pretty revolting retching sounds... I got a bit of a phobea of that so aside from laughing at the burps, their noises freaked me out quite a bit (though not as much as Eddie's introduction in SH2...).
Rafael
Just Passing Through

Re: Monster Symbolism ?

Post by Rafael »

such a deep game...
Biccard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: Monster Symbolism ?

Post by Biccard »

Since we are talking about monsters, theres something I have wondered very much also. In a trailer, Jimmy Stone victim 1 is seen walking along the hallway of South Ashfield Heights. First of all, why is he walking? That ghost is never seen walking.
Second of all, it looks like it is viewed from a peephole in a door. Was Room 302 originally at the end of the hallway in the building?
The clip can be viewed here: http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/sil ... 0326013306