When Did You Give Up On Henry?

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

jeremyjh
Just Passing Through

Re: When Did You Give Up On Henry?

Post by jeremyjh »

Tabris wrote:I'm pretty sure the reason he's that way is because the developers wanted you to be able to place yourself in his role. So they kept his character and dialogue more one dimensional. I do recall reading that at some point.

Hell if I know where or when. I mentioned in another thread a couple years ago and some other people remembered what that as well, so hopefully a couple people will here too.

Think Chrono from Chrono Trigger.

Though, I can't necessarily say they succeeded. They more than anything created a really awkward character. Though I have a soft spot for him~

I never really 'gave up' on the guy. Never exactly got attached either. Definitely wanted to help him put Walter down though.
Wow you just blew my mind. Now that I actually think about it that way it would make since the they want you to feel like you are playing as Henry. With his low attitude and judgment towards anything and his lack of emotions. Maybe they want your judgement and your emotions to be his. Plus the first person view where you could look at the window at the people in your apartment and wounder what are they doing. Another reason I think this could be true is even when in cut scenes he barely says anything. (His First Words: "What The Hell")
http://www.youtube.com/user/jeremyjh13? ... BjX2Y0gNrc- Survival Horror Game Library
Lemex
Gravedigger

Post by Lemex »

I just don't understand why people dislike Henry so much. I always thought of him as a pretty good character, just subtle and shy. A personality is there, it's just the game does not beat you over the head with him, and I like that.

Instead the most popular character in the game is Walter, who I have never liked.
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

^ I liked little kid Walter but not adult Walter. My favorite character was Cynthia, since her finale was the game's only really good scene.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

This thread is kinda stupid.

I don't dislike the Henry character and never "gave up on him". Sometimes he's annoying with the "What the Hell"s but whatever.
Violent Corpse
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Violent Corpse »

Mephisto wrote:This thread is kinda stupid.

I don't dislike the Henry character and never "gave up on him". Sometimes he's annoying with the "What the Hell"s but whatever.
Same. He's just never able to reach the crime scene on time...
alone in the town

Re:

Post by alone in the town »

A little bit of information for those who hate Henry for his alleged repetition of "What the hell?":

He only says it four times.

Harry repeats his stupid "little girl, short, black hair" routine three times. How does he get away with it?
Doctor Eggnog
Subway Guard

Post by Doctor Eggnog »

^ He doesn't. People make fun of that all the time.
Socially Awkward Penguin is my hero.
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

People hate Henry for it, though. Harry is a doofus but everybody seems to be okay with it.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Harry killed a God. And raised Heather, the most badass Survival Horror protagonist there has ever been.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Piramit Kafa
Just Passing Through

Post by Piramit Kafa »

I never had a problem with Henry. I kinda like his calm personality. He doesn't talk too much or react anything but as some people said before, Henry's experience is a lot different from other protagonists'. He's like opposite of Heather who surprisingly didn't throw her boot towards the TV screen yelling "Did you do this!?"
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Re: Re:

Post by phantomess »

alone in the town wrote:A little bit of information for those who hate Henry for his alleged repetition of "What the hell?":
Aha! Sorry for about a month-long delayed reaction, but I always thought people blow that line way out of proportion. I just never bothered to count or look it up- so that's good to know.
I guess the line stands out to some people because he doesn't say a lot in general during the game, but I never thought twice about the line until I read the complaints of others.

People will pretty much complain no matter what, though. If a character is given lots of personality, like Wheeler, everyone hates him. If a character DOESN'T talk much, they hate him. :roll:
Damn It All
Just Passing Through

Post by Damn It All »

Hehe Henry is like my second favorite character in the series.
The Heart is heaven but the Mind is Hell. - Tom Waits
Pleasant Sinner
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Pleasant Sinner »

Major bump. But, I "gave up" on Henry when I started becoming more interested in Walter. He kinda had the spotlight for SH4 which is something I found odd back when I considered the the main character the person you were playing.
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Uyrikeustek »

The moment I heard "Oh man...what a dream." His first sentence. I was like "Oh boy..."
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.
k0n0k0
Just Passing Through

Post by k0n0k0 »

The first time I heard him say "What... the... Hell...?".

Seriously.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

k0n0k0 wrote:The first time I heard him say "What... the... Hell...?".

Seriously.
Ryantology wrote:A little bit of information for those who hate Henry for his alleged repetition of "What the hell?":

Harry repeats his stupid "little girl, short, black hair" routine three times. How does he get away with it?
Like Ryan, I don't understand the whole "What the hell" deal.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

^ No one sais it's a big deal. However, Harry's little girl, Heather's anyway, Henry's What the hell spread a monotonous feel, no matter how many times they said it. Although to me, that's way far from a 'big deal'.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Speaking of which, did anyone find weird that there are no subtitles in the word "Hell" for Andrew's "Get me the Hell out of here..." lines? I wonder why...
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

mikefile wrote:^ No one sais it's a big deal. However, Harry's little girl, Heather's anyway, Henry's What the hell spread a monotonous feel, no matter how many times they said it. Although to me, that's way far from a 'big deal'.
Well, realistically, how would one describe a child of Cheryl's age without saying "little girl"? As for Heather's "anyway" and Henry's "what the hell", I just put that down to each characters individuality. Everyone has words and phrases that they repeat, so why wouldn't fictional characters?
mikefile
Gravedigger

Post by mikefile »

^ Ok. But if you want to go by this path, that's already three out of 7 characters with individual phrases. Moreover, when someone has his 'phrase', he at least does it with more emphasis. For instance, Heather and Henry really give lousy or no emphasis to theirs anyways and hells.

But I said it and I repeat it. It's really no big deal and in my opinion- not even worthy of mention.