When Did You Give Up On Henry?

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

SHF
Historical Society Historian

Re: When Did You Give Up On Henry?

Post by SHF »

This is just another bitch thread about Henry, jeez. How about someone make a thread about how awesome he is?
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

There was one who discovered Henry is the Chuck Norris of Silent Hill...
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

mikefile wrote:^ Ok. But if you want to go by this path, that's already three out of 7 characters with individual phrases. Moreover, when someone has his 'phrase', he at least does it with more emphasis. For instance, Heather and Henry really give lousy or no emphasis to theirs anyways and hells.
What do you mean by "if I want to go down this path"? I was just stating that, like everyone else, the characters could have their own phrases which they repeat. Whether or not those phrases are delivered with emphasis is different to individuality. It just means that the voice actors could have done a better job, not that the characters themselves were repetitious morons.
SHF wrote:This is just another bitch thread about Henry, jeez. How about someone make a thread about how awesome he is?
I don't mean to come across as rude, but if you dislike the topic you could always avoid it or make a thread about Henry's good points. I'm sure he has lots of good points.... Like....um...he's the best looking male character in the game...? :?
SHF

Post by SHF »

^
He is pretty attractive...you just gave me an idea my friend!
[img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/silentfog/signature.jpg[/img]
WelcomeToNowhere
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by WelcomeToNowhere »

Wow, so much trolling in one thread! I love it! ^-^

I have never really given up on Henry. He's kind of a sad sack, so I feel too bad for him to ever wish him harm, or actively hate him, either. He's a reclusive photographer(?) who has spent four days supernaturally imprisoned in his shitty apartment, driven to insomnia by his vicious eaten-alive nightmares. It stands to reason that four days of sleep deprivation would make him a little... flat...
Leo Ho Tep
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Leo Ho Tep »

Being my first SH, I remember I thought Henry wasn't very talkative. But It didn't bother me that much, because I wanted to understand what was going on. So Basically, I wasn't interested in Henry, but I was interested in his journey.
Dr-G0nz0
Just Passing Through

Post by Dr-G0nz0 »

Leo Ho Tep wrote:Being my first SH, I remember I thought Henry wasn't very talkative. But It didn't bother me that much, because I wanted to understand what was going on. So Basically, I wasn't interested in Henry, but I was interested in his journey.
I'd say that was what the writers intended: even though you are playing as Henry, it isn't his story, it's Walters. You and Henry are there for the ride. haha

That's why I never found any connection to Henry -- or even cared for him for that matter. He's just an extra in the whole thing. I find the story telling and structure of this game to be exceptional.
"Oh, you think darkness is your ally. You merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING! " -Bane
Leo Ho Tep
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Leo Ho Tep »

Dr-G0nz0 wrote:
Leo Ho Tep wrote:Being my first SH, I remember I thought Henry wasn't very talkative. But It didn't bother me that much, because I wanted to understand what was going on. So Basically, I wasn't interested in Henry, but I was interested in his journey.
I'd say that was what the writers intended: even though you are playing as Henry, it isn't his story, it's Walters. You and Henry are there for the ride. haha

That's why I never found any connection to Henry -- or even cared for him for that matter. He's just an extra in the whole thing. I find the story telling and structure of this game to be exceptional.

That's how I feel as well. sometimes, when the character is "soulless" (for lack of a more suited word), it helps you to live the game, like if you were the character imo. Just like in Manhunt or in Dead Space 1.
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

Sorry if this is kind of an old thread but I felt like giving an opinion on the matter. :x

There's a pretty distinct difference between Henry and say, Isaac in Dead Space 1. He has far more character to him and all of it is just really fucking boring and/or completely unrelatable. His reactions never ever felt like something I'd do. See, the thing is, neither did James's but he had a much more interesting character. Henry is given something resembling a personality and whatnot but they never actually explore who he is or give the player a reason to care about him.

Actually they never really give you much of a reason to care about anything in that game, do they? I'm not trolling, I'm serious, the bad guy was honestly the most interesting character in the game while everyone else seemed to have some kind of disorder that kept them from being likable or at the very least interesting.
Your weaboo is showing
Postcode
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Postcode »

Having finally got around to playing this, I can say that I never gave up on Henry. I think the case for his defence has already been stated on this thread so I won't go over that again, but I find it odd that he and the game as a whole are judged so negatively by people. Perhaps it's because I relate to him as a 'quiet' person, but I think he's probably my favourite protaganist of the first four games.
For anyone that might be interested in such things, some links to my music, of the alternative rock kind -
http://postcode.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/zebracore
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Postcode/99794277098

And my Post-Rock band Nanaki -
https://nanaki.bandcamp.com
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

As I said before, he makes Harry Mason sound like Brian Blessed. It's actually kinda amazing, really. Almost like the actor was really shooting for it. :wink:

If they wanted Henry to be a tabula rasa type player-character, they'd have been better served not letting him speak at all. As it is, he just sounds thoroughly disinterested in everything, and all the excuses in the world don't make him sound any more interested.
Rafael
Just Passing Through

Post by Rafael »

it seems henry is very shy, isn't he?