Greedy Worm = Wormhole?

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

The Necronoir
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Greedy Worm = Wormhole?

Post by The Necronoir »

I'm currently playing through Silent Hill 4 for the second time (although I didn't finish it the first time, because I'd played so badly that by Building World 2 I was screwed) and I noticed something interesting. In Forest World 2 (and probably the first time through, but that was so long ago I can't remember) I noticed that in the factory there's a Greedy Worm coming out of the wall behind a chain-link fence, and going into another wall which also sports the exit door. Now when you take this door to the outside to the left there is one of the many portals back into your apartment, but it's situated exactly where the Greedy Worm ends on the other side.

Could it be that the Greedy Worms actually form the portal system and that, gross as it is, you're actually sliding down a great length of worm gut when you travel through them? The only place where this theory falls short somewhat is those spiral sections in between worlds, where the portal looks the hang in oblivion. That said though, those sections seem to be part of a more abstract dimension, like Nowhere, and thus the external nature of the portals (ie the worms) may not be visible there as it is in the other sections.

If you accept this theory is also somewhat explains how the one or two portals in your apartment go to myriad different places- because the other end of the worm is moving around. It's also worth noting that when Henry opens the second portal himself, in the storeroom, the appearance of the Greedy Worms in the worlds increases quite a bit.

Comments?
plastique-nouveau
Hope House Careworker

Post by plastique-nouveau »

Your theory is sensible, but here's what I always thought it was:

<<spoilers ahoy!>>

I always felt that it was the so called 'umbilical cord' linking Walter's reality together. If you read that pamphlet found behind the bookshelf in the beginning of the game, it talks about a world that he created. So, in his so called 'reality', that umbilical cord links all of these 4 places together.
[img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a131/plastique-nouveau/pn_sig_nurse1.jpg[/img]
Ø//+
[color=blue][b]Love is just a bloodsport.[/b][/color]
AngelsWhisper
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by AngelsWhisper »

Makes sense. Can't believe I never thought of that. Although Necronoir's theory is very interesting.
"Gee it's as hot as hell in here."
"For me, it's always like this..."

[url=http://www.urban-butterfly.co.uk/][img]http://www.urban-butterfly.co.uk/images/banner02.gif[/img][/url]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Yeah, I always thought (after a while anyway) that you were travelling down the worm's innards. Although the umbilical cord theory works too.
Æ
Historical Society Historian
Location: Plus Forty Seven Degrees 56' 37" Minus Sixteen Degrees 51' 08"

Post by Æ »

The worm IS the umbilical cord linking both realities, like PN said. It´s no worm.
[img]http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/705/cpiadebarrierdetail1oq0.jpg[/img]
Biomechanical
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Biomechanical »

The "worm" is the "umbilical cord" connecting the worlds together. Walter wants to "climb back up the umbilical cord" meaning he wants to be reunited and in a safe place, back inside "the womb" which, to him, is the room.

The portals have nothing to do with the worm. As the naked eye can see, the portals only have a beginning and an end (And even then, only Henry can see them, being the "Keeper of Wisdom"). The inside of the tunnel that you see when you go through it, exists on another dimension or plane, as is the true theory of wormholes. "Portaling" from one point to another, really consists of travelling through a dimension that you cannot see. Therefore, the worm is not the "tunnel" of the portal.

On a side note, the constant, repetetive, showing of the inside of the portal when you travel through it, has another meaning. Or rather, the meaning is in the "coming out" the other side of the portal. Coming out of the slimy portal represents birth. It is like being "born" into a new, strange world. That is the feeling that haunted Walter.
[b][color=red]User is no longer active[/color][/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/biomechanical923/pulp.jpg[/img]
douche
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

Symbolically, the portals and the umbilical cord are linked, though. You're traveling through them to move between the room and Walter's world, yes? You're connected to the room--something Walter wants very much.

Other than that.. nice job you guys. It's such a relief to see intelligent discussion about this game, instead of LOLZ I DIDNT LIEK IT :evil: :evil: :evil: Cyntias a hore
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Biomechanical
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Biomechanical »

I can understand where you are coming from but....uhh....you dont travel through an umbilical cord to get born. :? so how would that make sense?
[b][color=red]User is no longer active[/color][/b]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/biomechanical923/pulp.jpg[/img]
douche
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

I'm saying that they act as a connexion between the worlds, not that both have to do with being born. The portals and the umbilical cord link back to the Room and back to the Womb (and if you really want to get crazy about it, food and sustenance travels through the cord to the foetus, making Henry pretty much the same thing since Walter needs him for the Sacraments).
Æ
Location: Plus Forty Seven Degrees 56' 37" Minus Sixteen Degrees 51' 08"

Post by Æ »

The real umbilical cord is used for feeding the baby (in simple words). This one it´s like "feeding" Henry with Wisdom about what´s goin´ on, and what´s his role in all of this (not sure if this is what you meant Krissy, my english sucks...) anyways, that´s the wonder of this game, one of the great things about (and of the whole series) you can think almost whatever you want about any stuff and still, it makes sense that this was A or B.
[img]http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/705/cpiadebarrierdetail1oq0.jpg[/img]
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

That is precisely what I meant. (: No worries.
And your English is fine--better than most. No worries about that, either. <3
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

The umbilical cord(s) tunneled, creating the holes, through to each "world".
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
The Necronoir
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The Necronoir »

I probably should have made my initial post clearer. I do in fact think that the Greedy Worm/Umbilical Cord ideas are interchangable, I just thought I should use the officially prescribed name for it.

As for the specifics, I tend to see the worms as an outer manifestation of where the portals lead. Of course you don't literally slide down the worm guts because they are, like you said, just dimensional portals with an entrance and exit. Within the twisted world of Walter's mind, however, it's not unreasonable to think that the outward appearance of these conduits would take on the guise of his pirmay obsession, ie the link to his mother.

The reason why these worms aren't visible in the 'between' sections is that these areas are not under Walter's conscious or subconscious control, they're more like physical manifestations of his vulnerable inner self- somewhere he can't appear because it's really inside him. Each of the weird displays we see reinforce this- the child-like figures, the sheep (ie lamb of god), the mother figures in twisted positions of birth. By using the doors with the Seal on them Henry is able to use an alternate means of moving between worlds to that of using Walter's portals. It's significant that at many of the entrances and exits from the 'between' world Walter is there guarding them, waiting because he himself can't enter.
pink_isnt_well000

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

I never thought about the hole and the worm together...that really makes sense! :D
plastique-nouveau
Hope House Careworker

Post by plastique-nouveau »

biomechanical wrote:I can understand where you are coming from but....uhh....you dont travel through an umbilical cord to get born. :? so how would that make sense?
It's a metaphore persay. And Miss Krissy gives a good explenation as well.
[img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a131/plastique-nouveau/pn_sig_nurse1.jpg[/img]
Ø//+
[color=blue][b]Love is just a bloodsport.[/b][/color]
emptimass
Subway Guard

Post by emptimass »

The umbilical cord(s) tunneled, creating the holes, through to each "world".
the Adversary speaketh the truth :twisted:
"No more soul to sell, 31 years and on my way to Hell".
Harrys_Girl

Post by Harrys_Girl »

Yes sir! :wink:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

The Greedy Worm is feeding energy/life to the Room. The room is the womb of God.
D90
Hope House Careworker

Post by D90 »

I know this is a bit off-topic, okay, really off-topic, but are the greedy worms really supposed to look so phallic?
When I saw them hanging down in the Prison World, I was going to make the classic, high-brow, and witty joke, that they look like giant cocks, when I realised:
"...shit. They really do look like giant cocks!"

Here's something for the picture thread too.
Yes, I know. Maybe, if yours really looks like that, you should see a doctor, but;
You can see what I mean.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Was he afraid of being g-

What was he going to say..?