Greedy Worm = Wormhole?

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

Dark Sky
Just Passing Through

Post by Dark Sky »

drakan90 wrote:I know this is a bit off-topic, okay, really off-topic, but are the greedy worms really supposed to look so phallic?
[Sorry for bumping an older thread.]

I think it must be hard to deny that the Greedy Worms were meant to look somewhat phallic (I say "somewhat"!). And as much as I agree that they may be there 'creating' the holes and / or are another aspect of the umbilical cord symbolism, couldn't they also be representing big purple cocks?

Now I know next to nothing about basic psychology, so do correct me if I'm way off, but didn't Freud talk about something like male children wanting to sleep with their mothers and being jealous of their fathers and that sort of thing? Could the Greedy Worms' phallic looks which appear heaving and thrusting through the various worlds which make up Walter's memories and want for his mother be part of some subconscious sexual desire for his mother, in Freud's sense of it?
D90
Hope House Careworker

Post by D90 »

I dont think that much thought went into the SH4 enemies, to be honest.

I would imagine its designing was nothing more than;
"So theres like a big worm that makes tunnels. Now lets SH-it up."
"Give it two heads!"
"Nah"
"make it all...stitch-faced!"
"Nah"
"Make it look like a giant cock! Everyone's scared of giant cocks"
"Done and done"
Silent Hill Locksmith
Just Passing Through

Post by Silent Hill Locksmith »

lol i should of thought of that! i was biased, because when i saw the worms, i immediately thought of the exact same thing from my imagination, the worm, laying inside the imagination.....as seen in Alice. what it exactly meant to me, i actually forgot. but yeah, i should of thought of that....

The realities have be linked somehow
angelofROOM302
Historical Society Historian

Post by angelofROOM302 »

You are defiantly not sliding through a worm.
You know that hole that's in the middle once you're going down the huge spiral stairs? It's kind of just floating there with nothing behind it. It could be some sort of magical connection. :)
AgentNein
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by AgentNein »

Dark Sky wrote:
drakan90 wrote:I know this is a bit off-topic, okay, really off-topic, but are the greedy worms really supposed to look so phallic?
[Sorry for bumping an older thread.]

I think it must be hard to deny that the Greedy Worms were meant to look somewhat phallic (I say "somewhat"!). And as much as I agree that they may be there 'creating' the holes and / or are another aspect of the umbilical cord symbolism, couldn't they also be representing big purple cocks?

Now I know next to nothing about basic psychology, so do correct me if I'm way off, but didn't Freud talk about something like male children wanting to sleep with their mothers and being jealous of their fathers and that sort of thing? Could the Greedy Worms' phallic looks which appear heaving and thrusting through the various worlds which make up Walter's memories and want for his mother be part of some subconscious sexual desire for his mother, in Freud's sense of it?
Yup, we're talking about the Oedipus complex (male children) and Elektra complex (female children).
Justice has a name, and the name it has, besides justice, is Captain Hammer!
Spikeyroxas
Just Passing Through

Post by Spikeyroxas »

But what about when your traveling down the spiral to "the deepest part of him"
the holes are in the middle of nowhere connected to nothing
My gallery:
http://m.imgur.com/account/Spikeyroxas/images

Youtube:
Spikeyroxas
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yea, so?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Spikeyroxas
Just Passing Through

Post by Spikeyroxas »

If its connected to nothing it cant be a worm...
My gallery:
http://m.imgur.com/account/Spikeyroxas/images

Youtube:
Spikeyroxas
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Sure it can. The holes are clearly multidimensional. Why can't they connect to a worm without physically touching it?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
11/21
Just Passing Through

Post by 11/21 »

It's Silent Hill, sometimes things just don't make sense :P
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

It does make sense, the worm is linking the worlds together (Umbilical Chord), it doesn't mean that ever single world is scrunched up together :P

I think of it as a type of Nowhere though it really isn't. Yes, Silent Hill is confusing.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Rafael
Just Passing Through

Re: Greedy Worm = Wormhole?

Post by Rafael »

i'm not sure if you can remember, but in the beggining of the game the hole wasn't as big as it usually is