Silent Hill 4 Length

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

krakalackin
Gravedigger

Silent Hill 4 Length

Post by krakalackin »

Hello friends, I'm new to the forum, but have been playing Silent Hill from day one. I have played every SH game accept for Origins and Shattered Memories. As I stated in my intro to the forum, back in 2004 I purchased Silent Hill 4, played it for about an hour and just gave up on it. It was just so different and, at the time, it was a complete turn off for me. But now, six years later, I have started over. After recently finishing Homecoming I thought it was only right to give The Room another try. I have read several places the SH4 is very short. I am now 2 hours in and was curious how long it actually is. How long did it take you to play through your first time and there after?

Thanks, KRAKALACKIN
Violent Corpse
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Violent Corpse »

For me... SH 2 and 3 took less time to complete them than SH4. SH4 took me about 11 hours. =)

Its a damn awesome game, try to get involved! :D
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

I suggest you give the game a second chance. It has one of the best stories ever imo. As for the game lenght, well, I finished the game 4 times. In my 1st run I finished it in like 10 or 11 hours, but nowadays I can finish it in 6 hours or so.
Speechless
Just Passing Through

Post by Speechless »

It is definalty one of the most enjoyable Silent Hills with its storylines and monsters.

I, like you, gave up on it after playing a few hours - but only now have returned to it and fully enjoy it.
Violent Corpse
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Violent Corpse »

Is it only me that instantly got hooked with SH4? :D
Mephisto
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mephisto »

^ No, not only you. Altough number 4 was my 2nd SH game. . .
Cursed
Just Passing Through

Post by Cursed »

Violent Corpse wrote:Is it only me that instantly got hooked with SH4? :D
Nope, SH4 was my first, too. And it was amazing.
I'm sure I racked up about 9 hours my first time around.
Mr.FLOOT
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Mr.FLOOT »

I think it took me about 7-10 hours I think...I don't play it any more, I just cant be bothered with it any more...which is annoying because it has an amazing story... the gameplay lets it down a bit but deffo play it cos it's a worthy entry to the series.
GreyFox
Just Passing Through

Post by GreyFox »

It was my first Silent Hill and i loved it.
carneeval
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by carneeval »

It was also my first Silent Hill (I played them backwards for numerical order) and I enjoyed it thoroughly, -I always have my complaints over weapons and costumes- but it was well thought out for the plot and how they set up for how you get the story.
[img]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa187/animefairyofdarkness/o0p1cpjpgcopy.jpg[/img]
Most people say Henry's a pervert because of looking through the peephole to Eileen's room, but here's the thing: Your not required to do that, it's the players choice.
So whose the pervert now :P?

((Apparently you can OD on Green Tea...And it's painful.))
Violent Corpse
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Violent Corpse »

I am glad im not the only one! :D

It was my second Silent Hill too, Mephisto.
krakalackin
Gravedigger

Post by krakalackin »

It's my 4th sh game. I'm on my first play through. I just got to the part where the stuttering guy sets himself on fire or at least that's how it looked. I just finished Homecoming last week. I don't know why so many people hate that game. I thought it was pretty good addition to the series.
sumcaker
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by sumcaker »

It was my 5th silent hill game, and in responce to Krakalackin, I totally agree with you about homecoming, I also think it was a great addition to the series in terms with storyline and gameplay and just think it was a great game :)
^^
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

I didn't think SH4 was a short game in any sense. I am sure you can beat it in a matter of hours, but on my first play through, I probably racked up around 10 hours. Comparatively, SH3 took about 7 hours my first time through.

Depends on how active you are, but it takes time no matter what.

Also, I put SH4 away my first time through. I didn't want a first person game AT ALL. I realized it might be beneficial to try again and realized that only a short section of the game is in first person. lol, I felt stupid when I realized.
I don't make a signature.
Except for the part of the signature explaining that I don't.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
krakalackin
Gravedigger

Post by krakalackin »

NeoAquarius12 wrote:I didn't think SH4 was a short game in any sense. I am sure you can beat it in a matter of hours, but on my first play through, I probably racked up around 10 hours. Comparatively, SH3 took about 7 hours my first time through.

Depends on how active you are, but it takes time no matter what.

Also, I put SH4 away my first time through. I didn't want a first person game AT ALL. I realized it might be beneficial to try again and realized that only a short section of the game is in first person. lol, I felt stupid when I realized.
The first person aspect is one of the things that initially turned me off too, but, as you said, now I realize that not much of your time is spent in fp.
carneeval
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by carneeval »

I found that 1 and 4 take a long time to get through because of the repeated interruptions.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
The monsters in 1 can grab Harry for long periods and there's a lot to do and when playing Playstation 2 for years getting once again use to a Playstation 1 game is difficult.
Then 4,
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
well you go to different places that can take a while and then go again with a comrade that can slow him down and needs protection and waiting for while a serial attacks the two of them constantly.
2 and 3 in my opinion are the fastest to get through, especially with 3's unlockable weapons.
[img]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa187/animefairyofdarkness/o0p1cpjpgcopy.jpg[/img]
Most people say Henry's a pervert because of looking through the peephole to Eileen's room, but here's the thing: Your not required to do that, it's the players choice.

Violent Corpse
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Violent Corpse »

I am currently playing SH 1.... lol... i finally have the chance to end it! :P
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

Origins is definitely the fastest in the main series. I think I beat it in under 3 hours. Or just over. SM can easily be the shortest if you can get through the chase sequences unscathed. I beat that game 3 times, and still had to redo the hospital chase at least 8 times.
I don't make a signature.
Except for the part of the signature explaining that I don't.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
carneeval
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by carneeval »

^
To me, SH0 had the most things to do in the places you go, tons of rooms to search with a couple of puzzles on the way and accessing the worlds repeatedly both ways. Interesting concept that they came up with.

krakalackin
Gravedigger

Post by krakalackin »

Back to the original subject, I've now finished the part where it appears the stuttering guy
(I think his name was Jasper) sets himself on fire. So how am I along in the game, just curious?