SH4 , not originally a SH game?

Henry's locked in his apartment and can't get out. Bless.

Moderator: Moderators

Cyrus Hanley
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Cyrus Hanley »

ww_andi wrote:OMG i Cant watch this video his fucking voice is so goddamn annoying :evil:

why does everyone think its funny

He pissed me the fuck off as soon as he said Yeah regard this as not a silent hill game it will be more enjoyable

then when skipped ahead he complains about the difficultly

What kind of gamer is he

(also the controls are gonna be weird on a pc i have never liked third person games on pc cept mmo s not to mention that it was made for a consal which is alot easier to set up
You really feel that way about L0rdVega? :(

His videos (especially the Let's Play Silent Hill 2 Blind series) were what made me become interested in Silent Hill altogether. :lol:
cascade88
Historical Society Historian

Post by cascade88 »

Yeah, I <3 L0rdVega and his walkthroughs, especially his Silent Hill ones. Chill with the hyperbole anger, dude.
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Oh my god, I love L0rdVega. I never knew other people on this forum watched his vids.
sumcaker
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by sumcaker »

Unfortunatly, L0rdVega isnt doing SH4 as he didnt wish to be known as the Silent Hill guy, though I see nothing wrong with that. :mrgreen:

He also hinted in one of his latest videos that he may end LPing all together.

And hell, since were talking about Lpers, one of my favourite Lpers would be Mangaminx, as she does an awesome SH4 Lp
^^
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

Whilst I too love L0rdvega and Mangaminx (although Heartless is my ultimate favourite, I think - his SH:H LP is fucking brilliant), this isn't a Let's Play thread - so keep on topic please.
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
Cyrus Hanley
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Cyrus Hanley »

sumcaker wrote:Unfortunatly, L0rdVega isnt doing SH4 as he didnt wish to be known as the Silent Hill guy, though I see nothing wrong with that. :mrgreen:

He also hinted in one of his latest videos that he may end LPing all together.

And hell, since were talking about Lpers, one of my favourite Lpers would be Mangaminx, as she does an awesome SH4 Lp
Screw 4, at least he did a thoughts and comments video on it.

I just wanted him to do one on Homecoming so I can hear him compare the legendary Harry Mason with Alex Shepherd and relish the return of the almighty health drinks! :D

Which reminds me, I want to check out some of Mangaminx's vids. Thanks!
Vixx wrote:Whilst I too love L0rdvega and Mangaminx (although Heartless is my ultimate favourite, I think - his SH:H LP is fucking brilliant), this isn't a Let's Play thread - so keep on topic please.
Sorry. :(

Back on topic, I think that Silent Hill 4: The Room should be considered canon (with 2 and Homecoming) and a Silent Hill game.

Just because it's different doesn't mean that it should be disregarded.

Sure, the gameplay might be a bit ####ty at some points but at least it tried something new.

The whole "trapped in my apartment and I can't get out :cry:" theme works pretty well to convey the Silent Hill themes of claustrophobia and loneliness.

EDIT: I've just watched two of Mangaminx's Let's Play Silent Hill: Origins videos and they're ####ing awesome! :D
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Some people have said to me that it just had the Silent Hill license tacked on later along with the Walter Sullivan plot, but when playing it I think it's pretty obvious that the transition was made relatively early on in development, as there are strong elements which are pure Silent Hill, particularly later on in the game.
Tamshend
Just Passing Through
Location: I'm in one of those rooms that you can never open T_T

Post by Tamshend »

I thought they had run a general idea up ages ago (since I saw that message about the hole in SH2), and they just hadn't thought of a actual plot yet... :L
carneeval
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by carneeval »

Well Henry has a bit of connection to Silent Hill himself. Most of the pictures in his apartment contribute towards Silent Hill. He speaks fondly of it at the beginning of the game and strangely was able to visit it on the rare sunny days. During the hauntings he questioned of whether he got his slippers from Silent Hill or not.
[img]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa187/animefairyofdarkness/o0p1cpjpgcopy.jpg[/img]
Most people say Henry's a pervert because of looking through the peephole to Eileen's room, but here's the thing: Your not required to do that, it's the players choice.
So whose the pervert now :P?

((Apparently you can OD on Green Tea...And it's painful.))
sumcaker
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by sumcaker »

^heh, no wonder his slippers are walking around his appartment if they are from Silent Hill :mrgreen:
^^
Ulrike Meinhof
Just Passing Through

Re:

Post by Ulrike Meinhof »

There used to be very long threads on this subject in the 'other' forum shortly after the game's release and as has already been repeated here, it was often stated that the game originally started out as having nothing to do with the Silent Hill franchise. However, Konami lost faith in the commercial viability of the title somewhat late in the game's production and so asked Team Silent to help make the game part of the Silent Hill franchise.

The rumour was that most of Team Silent declined, but that Akira Yamaoka agreed and was made a producer by Konami on the strength of his loyalty - whilst the decision of the other members didn't exactly endear themselves to Konami in the process. Since when I believe Masahiro Ito and Hiroyuki Owaku (from Team Silent) have only made contributions to the series in a series of downloadable Silent Hill comics made available only in Japan. (Masahiro Ito did design the cover artwork for the planned Japanese release of Silent Hill Homecoming - it even featured on the Japanese Konamistyle website, but the project was eventually canned.)

I do vaguely remember reading a magazine at the time of Silent Hill 4's release where Akira Yamaoka did mention that one of Ryu Murakami's novels (Coin Locker Babies, I think) was an influence on the game.

What may also (emphasis on may) be of interest is a similar rumour surrounding the Konami release of Nano Breaker. It has been said that the game was originally designed to be part of the Castlevania franchise with IGA (aka Koji Igarashi) acting as producer - and that Konami didn't like the direction it was heading in and so released it as a stand alone title. For those who may have not played it - it is a rather alien and desolate game (seemingly set in some apocalyptic future), but the mechanics of Castlevania in the game play are not difficult to discern.
Panzergott wrote:I think if SH4 wasn't a Silent Hill title, it still would have been a good game, but then again, look at Siren. That game didn't do so well and some of the creators of Sh1 were involved in the making.
Keiichiro Toyama moved on to make Siren (released as Forbidden Siren in Europe - though ironically it was the sequel that was forbidden a release in America due to a lack of faith by any publisher) as well as Siren 2 and Siren Lost Translation (Siren Blood Curse in the West). Personally I always thought that the original Siren was an absolute work of art, and second to only the initial Silent Hill trilogy in terms of quality.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Re: SH4 , not originally a SH game?

Post by clips »

What may also (emphasis on may) be of interest is a similar rumour surrounding the Konami release of Nano Breaker. It has been said that the game was originally designed to be part of the Castlevania franchise with IGA (aka Koji Igarashi) acting as producer - and that Konami didn't like the direction it was heading in and so released it as a stand alone title. For those who may have not played it - it is a rather alien and desolate game (seemingly set in some apocalyptic future), but the mechanics of Castlevania in the game play are not difficult to discern.

I remember nano breaker...i think that was the game where you are this guy that whenever he destroys these robot looking enemies, gobs of blood spew from them?...aggh...that game was garbage....we actually saw a little bit of that in metal gear 4....i thought the blood spewing from those mechs that sounded like cows was a dumb move....they should've just had them exploded like a normal machine/robotic mechanism would do. I really didn't like the way those things were implemented in the game....metal gear 4 was a great game, but that design choice was a bit too quirky and lame.

Keiichiro Toyama moved on to make Siren (released as Forbidden Siren in Europe - though ironically it was the sequel that was forbidden a release in America due to a lack of faith by any publisher) as well as Siren 2 and Siren Lost Translation (Siren Blood Curse in the West). Personally I always thought that the original Siren was an absolute work of art, and second to only the initial Silent Hill trilogy in terms of quality.
While i haven't played the original Siren, i loved Bloodcurse, and i think that game is as close as you can get to the original SH franchise in terms of atmosphere and extreme dread.
Uyrikeustek
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Uyrikeustek »

Personally, I wish that it really wasn't a Silent Hill game. It didn't give the same feel as the other games, including the newer ones like Homecoming and Origins. I wasn't scared at all. The ghosts just bothered the crap out of me.
"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens R.I.P.
alone in the town

Re: Re:

Post by alone in the town »

Ulrike Meinhof wrote:There used to be very long threads on this subject in the 'other' forum shortly after the game's release and as has already been repeated here, it was often stated that the game originally started out as having nothing to do with the Silent Hill franchise. However, Konami lost faith in the commercial viability of the title somewhat late in the game's production and so asked Team Silent to help make the game part of the Silent Hill franchise.

The rumour was that most of Team Silent declined, but that Akira Yamaoka agreed and was made a producer by Konami on the strength of his loyalty - whilst the decision of the other members didn't exactly endear themselves to Konami in the process.
Silent Hill fans are pretty creative when they make shit up!
supperhater
Just Passing Through

Re:

Post by supperhater »

Mis Krist. wrote:I also get confused as to why people think RE4 was better than SH4--these are the same people who say that SH4 was too action based and then praise RE4 as if it's God. RE4 is MORE of an action game than SH4 and apparently that one's amazing?
To be fair, and keep in mind that overall I prefer Silent Hill to the Resident Evil series (BY FAR), RE4 was an amazing game and its controls and gameplay (as a shooter) were 100 times better than SH4 controls/gameplay. SH4 had a better storyline than RE4, but I think RE4 is a way better game overall.

Silent Hill was always less action based than RE, which is why people would judge SH more harshly for becoming more action based.

I actually liked the action parts of SH4, it was pretty much the only change to the gameplay from 1-3 that I thought was an improvement (once you got the hang of it)
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

I like Resident Evil 4 more than its like-numbered Silent Hill counterpart.
jeremyjh
Just Passing Through

Post by jeremyjh »

This makes so much more sense now. That is why the game seems so much more distant then the other SH games.
http://www.youtube.com/user/jeremyjh13? ... BjX2Y0gNrc- Survival Horror Game Library
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

No, Jeremy, read the rest of the thread, not just the first post. Please.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
The SH Champion
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by The SH Champion »

They did a very good job with Silent hill 4. I have both resident evil 4 and silent hill 4 and resident evil 4 gets really old really quickly. I love playing Silent hill 4.
"The Fear of Blood tends to create fear for the flesh."
-Silent Hill
SilentRobert23
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentRobert23 »

^That's subjective. I prefer RE4 to SH4.
country matters