A Live Interactive ARG: Thoughts?

???

Moderator: Moderators

Droo

A Live Interactive ARG: Thoughts?

Post by Droo »

For some clarity as to what this is: https://www.ign.com/articles/silent-hil ... -next-year

I know of all the projects announced this one has probably been the least well-received, but personally I'm intrigued. If nothing else, at least it shows Konami is prepared to take some pretty wild and experimental chances with these revival projects.

Thoughts on Ascension?
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Re: A Live Interactive ARG: Thoughts?

Post by leftshoe18 »

Didn't the director/producer compare it to Genvid's Walking Dead game? Haven't played that but it sounds like it's some sort of minigame thing where you earn points to vote on story decisions. That doesn't have me excited for Ascension.
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

I wasn't sure until I saw Behaviour Interactive and JJ Abrams were attached and now I'm psyched and super curious!
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

I won't play it myself and I have no problems if other people will enjoy it. My only issue is the quote that fans will be able to "shape Silent Hill canon forever." What does that mean? Hopefully it's just a marketing tool to draw players.

Anyway, what do you think we should we call this guy? I love when the fandom comes up with inside joke names.

My contribution is Fingerhead or Metal Chomp.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
Droo

Post by Droo »

leftshoe18 wrote: 20 Oct 2022 Didn't the director/producer compare it to Genvid's Walking Dead game? Haven't played that but it sounds like it's some sort of minigame thing where you earn points to vote on story decisions. That doesn't have me excited for Ascension.
I can't say I'm familiar with that TWD game. I'd be curious for anyone who has played it to tell us what it's like so we know what to expect.

I'm with Vixx, though. Having JJ Abrams and Behaviour involved makes it seem a bit more substantial.
Lives in the mirror"
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

Vixx wrote: 20 Oct 2022 I wasn't sure until I saw Behaviour Interactive and JJ Abrams were attached and now I'm psyched and super curious!
I'm definitely curious to see what it ends up being. I'm just not very hyped because I still don't even know what it is. lol
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

Yeah it seems like such a weird concept but there's a lot of big names attached.

It could be fun. I intend to try and catch it live to contribute to the choices made.

I doubt JJ Abrams is ever going to touch this himself though, to be honest.
Herr Shaun
Gravedigger

Post by Herr Shaun »

The more I read about Ascension, the less I understand what it actually is.

In any case, I think allowing fans to shape the canon of Silent Hill is a very bad idea, especially since the average fan isn't going to want to dive any deeper than "it's a foggy limbo type thing where a giant triangle man is after you".
You've got your good things, and I've got mine.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

I mean it's not like fans will get to write the choices. It's going to be a story that's livestreamed that the chat can make decisions in. But I'm sure those decisions are pre-determined. They're going to make everything for every choice anyway, it's been said we can see the outcomes not chosen after the fact.
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

A new interview video also released.
https://youtu.be/Z8b0vI1USgw

Nothing new, just a lot of emphasis on character and story that you choose to make.

I feel it's a bad idea to focus on this whilst not explaining how this works, which is probably a sign that it will be very simple and that marketing figured it'd be ideal to just keep repeating the 'Choose your story' talking point, and other bits of 'Silent Hill's series historic selling points that you get to create or discover, but even that may not be ideal as it is based on mass voting rather than your personal choices and preferences.

Basically this sounds like it is like D&D, the developer is the dungeon master, various scenarios are set up. The players are the adventurers and voting algorithms are the dice.
Droo

Post by Droo »

It would be nice to talk to someone who participated in Genvid's previous projects of a similar nature before this one. Maybe someone should try and track down someone who participated in a previous one somehow to get a better idea of how it works?
Lives in the mirror"
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

Droo wrote: 12 Jul 2023 It would be nice to talk to someone who participated in Genvid's previous projects of a similar nature before this one. Maybe someone should try and track down someone who participated in a previous one somehow to get a better idea of how it works?
That might work out well, but they've also mentioned over on Resetera that it's going to be different from their previous projects, as the previous ones were specifically intended to be done through Facebook's platform versus something with fewer limitations.
Droo

Post by Droo »

New interview on GamingBolt with the CEO of Genvid with more details on Ascension: https://gamingbolt.com/silent-hill-asce ... e-and-more
Lives in the mirror"