Silent Hills cancelled

Come here to chat about Kojima's now sadly defunct Silent Hills.

Moderator: Moderators

Haunting Hero
Just Passing Through

Re: Silent Hills cancelled

Post by Haunting Hero »

Deer Rest FOA wrote:So, did Silent Hills being cancelled in turn cancel out everything Silent Hill related? I'd still like to see more sequels and movies, if that's possible. But I fear it's over. :(
You never know, I hold little hope, but something could possibly come up
◇Some people feel the rain, others just get wet◇
jdnation
Historical Society Historian

Post by jdnation »

Here's some possible info of one idea that Kojima was playing around with...

"Alanah Pearce, formerly of IGN and now working at Funhaus and Inside Gaming, was answering some questions about what she’d heard about projects that had not been revealed yet or cancelled and when asked about Silent Hills, she said she had been told that the game would in some way interact with your e-mail and phone number, sending you messages from characters in the game even when you weren’t actively playing. That seems like it could be both creepy and rather annoying all at the same time."

"I heard that Silent Hills would require you to sign a waiver before playing because it would somehow interact with your real-world self, like by sending you emails or text messages as characters from the game even when you weren’t actively playing. "

https://gamingbolt.com/silent-hills-wou ... and-e-mail
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

^ That's actually pretty intriguing!
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Sounds a bit like imscared, only expanding to other devices.
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

Hearing that stuff just makes this hurt more.

Sounds so cool thought!
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

This could be bullshit, but seems the Reddit mod says there was some verifiable info from the source, though it's not necessarily airtight... but for what it's worth...

Konami and Kojima are in talk about Silent Hill, as we speak.
https://www.reddit.com/r/silenthill/com ... lent_hill/

So far the word about one of KojiPro's long time directors leaving is still a rumor that's not verified, and Mr. Imaizumi has still been tweeting positive things about Death Stranding.

Kojima has in interviews and on twitter post-Death Stranding been talking about the possibility of working on a horror game and is aware that fans are interested in that from him, and while he has confirmed Kojima Productions is at work on their next project he has not confirmed the genre of the game, so his recent words relating to horror games are so far only hypothetical.

While Death Stranding has done very well in Japan and been well received, it is hardly something that would make Konami take any notice to change their stance.

While Konami is likely willing to licence out the 'Silent Hill' IP to third party developers as they've always done, at little to no risk to themselves, it'd highly doubtful that they'd go to Kojima or that Kojima would go to them. Though, if Kojima was willing to shoulder the risk of development costs himself, then it's really a win-win situation for Konami business-wise.

It's possible that Kojima still wants to do a horror game, but is worried about whether Konami will try and claim he's using creative ideas he conceived while working for them (creatives in companies usually have clauses in their contracts where the company they work for owns all their creative ideas, or must approve of any other creative works someone does outside their company that may risk competing with their own service/product), so Kojima would likely have to talk to Konami about making a potential horror game even without their IP, and maybe it would be simpler to just contractually make a Silent Hill game for Konami as the publisher.

If I had to guess, we'll know soon enough as PS5 is on the horizon and it's likely Sony will have Kojima using Decima to make a real-time tech demo, which Kojima could use as a conceptual teaser for his next title.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

I have a VERY hard time believing that Kojima or Konami would ever want to work with each other again. Even if the tidbit about Death Stranding "redeeming" Kojima in Konami's eyes is true, I can't imagine the same would be true the other way around after the way Konami treated him.

I think if we get a horror game from Kojima, it'll be an original IP.