New Silent Hill? Hideo Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro project

Come here to chat about Kojima's now sadly defunct Silent Hills.

Moderator: Moderators

HeartlessBastard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: New Silent Hill? Hideo Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro pro

Post by HeartlessBastard »

It's reeeeeeally hard to believe. I mean, Del Toro and Kojima doing a SIlent Hill game? After everything Konami did to Silent Hill (Such as that awful HD collection and Book of Memories), it was hard to believe that they cared.

But anyway, I'll see the gameplay tomorrow. Bot from what I did see looked like mora a ghost house. I hope It won't come that way, with poltergeists, spirits of the dead and stuff, because that would be missing the point of Silent Hilll entirely.

Anyway, the speech in the beginning was cool. "Then he killed all of us". I hope it isn't a real ghost. Silent Hill never had a real ghost before, and for a good reason.
"Good people should love their enemies" - Seu Madruga
the konami code
Just Passing Through

Post by the konami code »

I'm not liking the first person perspective for a silent hill game... it looks too much like Condemned :|
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

the konami code wrote:I'm not liking the first person perspective for a silent hill game... it looks too much like Condemned :|
This announcement teaser does not represent the actual game. It says so at the end.

... I should just not bother repeating this so many times in this thread, shouldn't I?
Droo

Post by Droo »

Okay, I'm frustrated by this demo now. I'm in an endlessly looping hallway now that occasionally changes colour on the flashlight. What do I do? Does anyone know how to beat this?
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

Droo wrote:Okay, I'm frustrated by this demo now. I'm in an endlessly looping hallway now that occasionally changes colour on the flashlight. What do I do? Does anyone know how to beat this?
Yeah, it gets really tedious and frustrating. I'm not entirely sure what to do, but just go around examining everything. If it's at the part where everything is open I think you have to find the ghost lady or some crap. She can be in the mirror or the phone or, honestly, I dunno. I got lucky. Just keep fumbling around.
redrum wrote:The ghost thing in the demo was very remenicent of 1-4 Silent Hill, the way it was positioned, and how it looked.
I can't say that I agree. The only thing that was similar was that SH4 also had ghosts. This didn't look anything like even those, though. This was kinda just generic ghost lady. She's the weakest part of the whole thing for me, especially since she's mostly there for those two jump scares and then frustration time near the end. I even liked Paper Bag Voice better.
Kenji
Historical Society Historian

Post by Kenji »

Actually, I also got a The Room-ish vibe. Though, I think that has more to do with the crème-colored walls than the perspective. Maybe the fleshy ghost-bitch, too. :P

And, yeah, the vague assertion that "this does not represent the final product" could mean a variety of things, but I like what I see, so far. Hopefully, the final product won't stray too far from this mood.

Of course, I hope it escalates as time goes on. I wouldn't feel fulfilled if it was just like this, all the way through, with no sense of progression aside from the plot telling me I'm progressing.

I want to feel it.
HeartlessBastard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

So, when do you guys thing the game will be released? Any bets?
Sith_Dreamer
Just Passing Through

Post by Sith_Dreamer »

Oh....my...god....I'm so happy right now!
"Once More the Sith Shall Rule the Galaxy!"- Palpatine
"Welcome to My Nightmare!"- Freddy Krueger
aj4x94

Post by aj4x94 »

HeartlessBastard wrote:So, when do you guys thing the game will be released? Any bets?
Good question. I wonder if working on The Phantom Pain will affect the release date for this game and vice versa. I'm guessing 2016 for this game.
You can take my heart
And hold it together as we fall apart
Maybe together we can make a mark in the stars we embark
And keep us together as the lights go dark
HeartlessBastard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

It looks kinda well developed already, but it must be just for the show.
The first person perspective must be due to the player's character animation not be done.
I hope your guess is right. 2016 would be just perfect.

(Sorry for my mistakes, and sorry if I'm not making sense now. It's kinda late in this part of the world, I should be sleeping.)
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

HeartlessBastard wrote:It looks kinda well developed already, but it must be just for the show.
The first person perspective must be due to the player's character animation not be done.
I hope your guess is right. 2016 would be just perfect.

(Sorry for my mistakes, and sorry if I'm not making sense now. It's kinda late in this part of the world, I should be sleeping.)
Honestly, everything in this looks more like a Sideshow of Horrors alpha build testing out the Fox Engine in a horror setting. I'm feeling pretty meh about Norman Reedus as Norman Reedus at the moment too but that could also just be a cap of his face for the reveal factor that he's involved, not that they will be using his face for the character.

It's an interactive teaser and they're very upfront about it. It started as a red herring with a fake studio name, too, which is something Kojima also did for The Phantom Pain (made a fake studio name, pretended it was a new franchise) and it turned out to be MGSV. All in all it looks extremely early and like it was just to get people hyped -- and it worked.

I'm excited and 2016 sounds pretty realistic for a release.
Book of Memories ID: five5sixers
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

Yeah, I'm betting on a 2016 release as well. Kojima is definitely still working on MGSV full-time.
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

Woo-hoo! *does happy dance*
That's all I have to contribute to this thread. :|
No, but seriously, this is fantastic news, and I'm looking forward to this game. As much as I enjoyed the previous SH games (except for Book of Memories because I haven't got a Vita), I would love for something different. From what I've read so far, this might actually be pretty good.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Ok yo, what the fuck. This shit out of nowhere actually has ME creeped out to the point that i'm hesitant to explore, and it's getting hard to finish the demo. This just sucker punched me out of nowhere and i'm loving it. It's been a while since i've felt this tense in a game. Hell, i didn't even find outlast this creepy/tense.
Guys, I'm playing the demo on my PS4 right now, and I, a hardened horror veteran, am absolutely terrified. This is frightening in ways I can't even begin to describe. I screamed like PewDiePie and embarassed myself in front of my GF, and I've actually paused it to take a break. This is absolutely horrifying, I am kind of blown away.
Yeah, i actually yelled out loud. And then started laughing because i never do that. I'm feeling the same way. I'm a horror vet as well, but i think part of it was because i really wasn't expecting anything so creepy, but it's also just fucking creepy in general.
Last edited by SPRINGS02 on 13 Aug 2014, edited 1 time in total.
unreadphilosophy

Post by unreadphilosophy »

Alright. I've been playing the demo on and off for the past hour and all I have to say is NO, NO NO!!! This tech demo has scared me, disturbed me, and left me shocked in ways most finished horror games have. If these two mad men can do this much with a demo, then I don't even want to know what their finished project is going to look like. I mean, the crying ghost woman is bad enough, but
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
a crying, dead, aborted fetus of a baby laying in a sink filled with blood?!
I..I don't even have any words for that.

A question for those who are playing the demo: have any you thought up any possible theories behind the numbers that radio keeps repeating? 204863. Oh, did anyone else not look behind them when the guy on the radio told them to???

Also, fun little Easter egg moment: has anyone else noticed that the loading symbol that appears in the bottom right hand corner of the screen displays the three circles that lie in the middle of the series's red halo?
stonecoldsteveurkel
Just Passing Through

Post by stonecoldsteveurkel »

I'm just incredibly disappointed it's turning out to be yet another one of those boring modern reboots more focused on trying too hard to be a movie than a Silent Hill game. Also, how the hell does having all these Hollywood people involved suddenly convince people it's going t o be a good game? And why are people fanboying over Del Toro's involvement. He's a Hollywood director working on a Silent Hill game. Can someone please explain what about this is being promoted so much as a positive? As a director he coincidentally has a lot of the same issues within his films that Kojima has with his games: focus on style over substance. Del Toro being involved isn't reassuring in the least. We already had good Silent Hill games without the involvement of people like this. So why is it necessary? Having Del Toro, Kojima, & Reedus just seems more like shameless commercialization to appeal to a wider audience than actually provide anything of quality. Which is exactly what I feared from a Kojima helmed Silent Hill game. Don't get me wrong. I'm not taking issue with the game being advertised. It's the manner in which they're doing it which is having a direct effect on the game's design. Also, why do we need Norman Reedus portraying a character? What was wrong with creating unique characters like in previous SH games? Again, the answer is shameless commercialization.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

Like others have mentioned, this is a sweet surprise. We all had something brewing in our minds when it came to where the next title would go and in what hands, but I'm not a bit worried now. It's just...totally out of nowhere. Reedus is versatile enough for me to be optimistic about his role. Plus, the demo looks amazing, particularly the lighting.

Add the fact that just watching this sent a kajillion more chills down my spine than Downpour, The Room, and Homecoming combined, I'm psyched and ready for this. Hopefully it won't be so long of a wait after such a tease. Guillermo del Toro's work is something to be excited about, and like others I know it's been kind of a fantasy to have him work on a Silent Hill entry one day. Well, look what's happening. :twisted:
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
stonecoldsteveurkel
Just Passing Through

Post by stonecoldsteveurkel »

This fanbase is hopeless.

Oh, and here's a little treat for those claiming Kojima's involvement would mean less chance of the game being glitchy. Skip to the 7:19 mark.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

Del Toro is one of my favorite people in the horror/fantasy/etc scene, hell one of my favorite people in general. Dismissing him as "Hollywood" is frankly ignorant. This is a man who is passionate about what he works on, and always gives it his all.
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Stonecold, we get it man, you hate kojima, it's been noted. For what it's worth, i'm genuinely impressed by the demo itself, i could care less who made it, the demo speaks for itself. This demo alone,has frightened me more than downpour, shattered memories, and homecoming put together, easily. It has some potential. You act like people in this thread are just going "oh mah god i love kojima, he da best man!". I mean, it just seems like people are impressed with the demo itself.

And i don't recall someone saying kojimas involvement would make the game not glitchy. But, considering the manpower kojima has with him, he'll probably have a bigger budget than the small studios the game has been handed to, more money, less chance of being glitchy. Doesn't mean no glitches though.