Silent Hill Book of Memories Trailer from E3

Come here to talk about the Book of Memories.

Moderator: Moderators

Bluebolt77
Just Passing Through

Silent Hill Book of Memories Trailer from E3

Post by Bluebolt77 »

Here is the trailer for the game shown at E3. Didn't see this posted anywhere else yet, so enjoy.

Let Silent Hill purify you.
Number 7
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re: Silent Hill Book of Memories Trailer from E3

Post by Number 7 »

Kinda hard to tell what's going on. Not too impressive looking, though. Was that monster at the end the demon from the end of Origins? Also, I've seen a screenshot posted on Facebook of an original monster that didn't look too good.
"He's underground now. His new name is Number Seven."
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

I think it looks like a ton of fun.
Silent_Storm
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Silent_Storm »

I liked it till the gameplay started
Hand held games always look rubbish to me though.
What's the big deal - Laura
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Whoa! Diablo's in this too? How Fitting! :P

Yeah... I'll wait until we get a more traditional game like what 0rigins was to PSP...
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

I can give the game a little more respect now, and it does look fun, though it reminds me of decent fan fiction at best. This is really cause of the mashups of pretty much every staple monster, weapon, and character stereotype from the past titles. There could yet be a good explanation for all of this....right?
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

@Wonder's Boy
It's because the character in BoM is YOU. When you think of SH, you think of certain monsters from the games, and so you encounter them through BoM.

It looks really fun. And I think the visuals look a lot better compared to the gameplay we saw a long time ago.
I really want a Vita. If I get one, I will certainly be getting BoM for it.
Tabris
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Tabris »

Opinion still has not changed with the trailer.

I still think it looks fun and it'll be a great multiplayer game. However, I still think it should be a non-silent hill game simply using the concept of the 'book of memories'.

It'll be ages before I get a chance to play it though. I hope they eventually release it on PSN or something. I'd like to play with some people on the forums or something.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

Yeah, it'd be really cool to play with others from the community here.

@thy_butcher. I guess what I'm worried about is that these enemies and themes being present simply because the player can recall them from past games when they think of the SH series will cheapen the experience. The need for a deeper reason for it all just feels ever present. I'm certainly for the concept of the player being more involved with the protagonist and even creating that protagonist, but multiplayer features just comes off as weird in my thoughts when included in successful single-player experiences like Silent Hill.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

thy_butcher wrote:@Wonder's Boy
It's because the character in BoM is YOU. When you think of SH, you think of certain monsters from the games, and so you encounter them through BoM.

You DO realize that by using that kind of bullshit logic, the player would have to assume that the player was somehow aware of the events of the past games on a more personal level or even worse, the past titles of the series are actually videogames you've played, only this time...it's real!!!!!(Oooooooooooooooooo!)

Well done Tomm hulett and company. Well done.

Anyone who's watched 'the butterfly effect' will know that 'book of memories' follows an almost eerily similar plot using a journal as a means to rewrite your past. The gameplay is perhaps the biggest caveat that i have with the game. It just ISNT scary nor does it retain the feel of the series. i dont really see it succeding at any level once it releases.
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I personally think that logic is really neat. It'll be cool to encounter the Air Screamers, the Insane Cancers, the Needlers again, among others. The reason it'll be super cool? BoM isn't a major installment like Downpour... it's a one-off game for a portable system.
I was originally appauled by every aspect of BoM, and of course, certain things I still disagree with, but with it being a spin-off title that's bringing unheard-of features to a SH game, I think it's shaping up nicely.

I would surely be more up-in-arms if this were to be the next major game for SH coming to PS3 & 360, etc., but due to the nature of the situation, I can overlook these radical changes and see the potential.
Number 7
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Number 7 »

The gameplay is perhaps the biggest caveat that i have with the game. It just ISNT scary nor does it retain the feel of the series. i dont really see it succeding at any level once it releases.
You haven't played the game. You don't know if the gameplay works, or if it's scary, or anything. The game isn't going to sell well because of people like you who have already made up their minds about it without having played any of it. That isn't what the series needs right now if it's going to survive.
"He's underground now. His new name is Number Seven."
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

Number 7 wrote:
The gameplay is perhaps the biggest caveat that i have with the game. It just ISNT scary nor does it retain the feel of the series. i dont really see it succeding at any level once it releases.
You haven't played the game. You don't know if the gameplay works, or if it's scary, or anything. The game isn't going to sell well because of people like you who have already made up their minds about it without having played any of it. That isn't what the series needs right now if it's going to survive.
I've played the games that influenced it's design(diablo), so i'm pretty certain when i say that this game is not the right direction to take for ther series, especially when proper instalments can be made on the handheld.
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I don't want to argue, but "proper" is a very opinionated subject; for anything.
A lot of people say SM isn't "proper," yet a lot of others love the game.

I understand BoM is 2x more alien than SM, but still, this is a spin-off title exclusive to a single handheld system. It isn't the palette for the future of the series.

@Adam_WF v - I will pick up & play BoM the day I get a Vita. FYI, I really want a Vita! :)

Maybe if the game does well enough you can port it to PSN? I have no idea how the business works; I assume it's monumentally complex, but still, I can dream...
Last edited by thy_butcher on 09 Jun 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Adam_WF
Just Passing Through

Post by Adam_WF »

The more you play the game, the more you'll realize just how SH it is. But you'll have to actually play it to experience that.
Hydra666
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Hydra666 »

Looks really bad IMO

The graphics are aweful (it's on Vita, psp games had better graphics than this). If you do a game with an aerial view, well give at least good textures to the damn floor instead of a pile of pixel diarrhea.

The gameplay looks boring.

The story looks stupid (hey I just found a book with my life written on it, I'll rewrite it for the lulz)

Why don't they make a real SH game on Vita (and later port it on PS3, Xbox 360) like they did with origins instead of wasting their time making a game that almost every fans around the world mock?

Adam_WF wrote:The more you play the game, the more you'll realize just how SH it is.

Let's define what a SH game is supposed to be

- A horror game where you're alone

- Few ammo and health kits

- Confined locations

- Scary

- Unique mood

What I see with BOM is the total opposite of what Silent Hill is supposed to be. A marsh with trees enemy? Really? The screens I saw at E3 remind me of Gauntlet Dark Legacy, not Silent Hill.

People may say it's only a spin off, but I say it's a shitty excuse to exploit a great licence.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Hydra666 wrote:The gameplay looks boring.
Good thing it's called "gameplay" and not "gamelook," amirite?
Hydra666 wrote: Let's define what a SH game is supposed to be

You mean like how Maria, Eileen, and Elle never hung around with you?
Not to mention the myriad of people you encounter quite regularly in every SH game?
Hydra666 wrote:- Few ammo and health kits
You might want to go back and play SH1.
Hydra666 wrote:- Confined locations
Were interiors designed the way they were solely to meet an artistic vision or is it perhaps also a result of making things work on the platform?
Exteriors were masked with visual impairments and lacked the meticulous texture work of interior locations, after all.
Hydra666 wrote:People may say it's only a spin off, but I say it's a shitty excuse to exploit a great licence.
"Great" how?
"Great" in the way that people have been losing interest in SH over the years, "great" in that horror games have dropped from the public eye considerably in the last several years, or "great" in that the majority of people remember the earliest games fondly?
Adam_WF
Just Passing Through

Post by Adam_WF »

Hydra666 wrote:Let's define what a SH game is supposed to be

- Few ammo and health kits
- Confined locations
- Scary
- Unique mood
I didn't realize an SH game was "supposed to be" the same objective list of elements for everyone. At any rate, BoM does have all of those (with the first bullet point in single-player, obviously). You'll have to trust me when I say that the trailer barely scratches the surface of what's in the game.

Although if I had to define the SH series for myself in 5 bullet points, they'd be:

- Uncertainty
- Unsettling
- Ambiguity
- Regret
- Dread
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by JuriDawn »

I'm always happy to see a Silent Hill title try something new, and when it's done well, I'm thrilled. Having my expectations subverted delights me more often than it disappoints. The very last thing I want from my favorite series is to have a specific formula that developers are never allowed to deviate from; if that ever happens, the property will officially be dead. This is why I'm so glad that the latest games have been made by fans of the series who want to see it grow, not just business execs that want to avoid rocking the boat.

Book of Memories looks intriguing, but it'll probably be quite some time after its release before I can play it. I don't do handheld gaming at all, and if I do buy a PS Vita, it'll just be for this one game. I'd definitely welcome any news/hint/rumor that BoM will be released for XBox 360 or PC.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Good golly Miss Molly this looks terrible.

Given that it's on a system that has utterly failed to launch, I don't see this doing well.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"