Will you buy this when it is released on DVD/BluRay?

Discuss the latest about the second Silent Hill Movie

Moderator: Moderators

DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Re: Will you buy this when it is released on DVD/BluRay?

Post by DistantJ »

Oh god, don't remind me of Other M...
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

I skipped out watching it in theaters. My gut started to say the movie was bad; especially after I saw what its runtime would be.
Really, a SH movie should be at least three hours long to account for everything properly (I think so, anyway).

So yes, I'll buy it just because I AM interested in seeing it. I might end up liking it, who knows? (yeah right :p)
KoRn_Child
Just Passing Through

Post by KoRn_Child »

I love when people act like Other M is the worst Metroid game, like 2 and Hunters never happened.
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?
Silent Fantasy
Historical Society Historian

Post by Silent Fantasy »

KoRn_Child wrote:I love when people act like Other M is the worst Metroid game, like 2 and Hunters never happened.
They will bring up the exploration aspect like that excuses them. I didn't mind Other M much, though I hated Samus's voice actor and how sloppy the story was. Also didn't care for how they made Samus kinda an idiot, but yeah. lol
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

The reason people act that way is because it is that way.

Even if it weren't that way, how exactly does that detract from my point?
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

The veiw on Other M is subjective obviously, but it doesn't detract from your point. It's clear what you were getting at.
Aphel Aura

Post by Aphel Aura »

I'll pick it up when it's price drops down to 5 dollars at the local Wal-Mart.
Live fast, die young
Bad girls do it well
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Silent Fantasy wrote:The veiw on Other M is subjective obviously, but it doesn't detract from your point. It's clear what you were getting at.
That said, I should take this opportunity to say something I don't think I've ever said directly:

If one likes Metroid: Other M, s/he should buy it, play it, and love it. Don't let the likes of me put a stop to that! Not that anyone who disagrees with me would, of course.
KoRn_Child
Just Passing Through

Post by KoRn_Child »

Silent Fantasy wrote:The veiw on Other M is subjective obviously, but it doesn't detract from your point. It's clear what you were getting at.
Yeah Kenji, I wasn't disagreeing with your point. Sorry if I gave that impression. I actually agree with you 100%. Giving Konami money for subpar games is only going to dig the series into a deeper hole.

Granted, I only recently encountered SH titles that I felt weren't good enough to support. All of the titles up to and including Downpour were worth purchasing IMO, even though there was a definite decline in quality. But I refuse to support the terrible HD Collection, and if I buy Book of Memories at all it will be a used copy. I plan on doing the same for any future subpar titles in the series. It's not a perfect solution, but it's better than rewarding Konami for shoddy products.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

I really can't see how Origins, Homecoming, Shattered Memories OR Downpour (especially the latter two) are "shoddy" though... :S All of them have had a lot of creativity and effort go into them, I think Silent Hill 4 was much closer to being "shoddy" than these four, and the original games were just as flawed as these were. Man, you guys should try being a Sonic fan around 2006, then you'll see shoddy...

But it's true, vote with your wallet. Don't buy the film if you don't like it, if it sells badly they'll get the picture. I, however, loved it, so I will be shelling out my money to get the DVD the day it comes out.
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

Well, comparing Sonic around 2005 to post- Team Silent Silent Hill games, or Silent Hill at all, should be a sin. I'v loved every game so far though.
KoRn_Child
Just Passing Through

Post by KoRn_Child »

DistantJ wrote:I really can't see how Origins, Homecoming, Shattered Memories OR Downpour (especially the latter two) are "shoddy" though... :S All of them have had a lot of creativity and effort go into them, I think Silent Hill 4 was much closer to being "shoddy" than these four, and the original games were just as flawed as these were. Man, you guys should try being a Sonic fan around 2006, then you'll see shoddy...

I didn't say those games were shoddy. I said I happily paid for all four of them and felt they were worth the money. The "shoddy" games I was referring to were the HD Collection and Book of Memories. I will never own a copy of the HD ports, and if I do buy BoM for some reason it will be a used copy so Konami doesn't see any money from it.

And I actually am a Sonic fan. Have been since i was a kid. Silent Hill has had it easy compared to that series. I've suffered through Sonic '06, Unleashed, Chronicles, and The Black Knight. Thankfully Generations got the series back on track.
eddieatemypizza
Just Passing Through

Post by eddieatemypizza »

who the hell buys dvd's anymore?

why pay 20 bucks when you can just use the internet and watch it for free whenever you want?
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

eddieatemypizza wrote:who the hell buys dvd's anymore?

why pay 20 bucks when you can just use the internet and watch it for free whenever you want?
People who like being honest, that's who.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

KoRn_Child wrote: I didn't say those games were shoddy. I said I happily paid for all four of them and felt they were worth the money. The "shoddy" games I was referring to were the HD Collection and Book of Memories. I will never own a copy of the HD ports, and if I do buy BoM for some reason it will be a used copy so Konami doesn't see any money from it.
Er... why? From what I'm hearing, BoM is quite well-made.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Yeah, I'd check out BoM if I had a PS Vita, though I wouldn't buy a console for it like I do the mainstream SH titles.

Seriously, I've never loved a series as consistently and wholeheartedly as I do Silent Hill (I used to with Zelda but it slowly moved away from what I liked about it over the past 3-4 games), and I think it shows a level of thought, depth, creativity and style that most other game franchises could only ever dream of. We're one of the harshest fanbases on the net, and in many ways that forces the developers to try harder (unlike, say, Nintendo, whose fans will kneel down and lick their boots whatever they give them, and thus they still put out games with save points, no voice acting etc...), but sometimes I think that we don't know just how good we've got it. Eight amazing games in a series which has stayed so true to it's roots in comparison to pretty much anything else this age and two very faithful and creative movie adaptations (whatever you thought of Revelation, you can't say it wasn't faithful or unique), but the peaks of the series like Silent Hill 2 have raised our standards so high that we'll take nothing less than brilliance without giving it a good grilling.

Recreating SH2 is like catching lightning in a bottle, all the right people happened to come together in the right place at the right time and SH2 happened, you just can't replicate that, so it's better to just see what else you can do with the world and mythos and maybe something might stick. Book of Memories may appear to be a dud (though, who knows...) but Shattered Memories came from the same "try something new with the concepts" approach and it was one of the most memorable games on the Wii.

Slow tension is something you can see everywhere in the horror genre. It's been done before and better, and maybe it was lacking a little in Revelation, but the surreal monsters and nightmare worlds working together so well are the thing Silent Hill delivers in a way nothing else does, and the series, including Revelation (man, that spider...) continues to pull this off in style.
Number 7
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Number 7 »

KiramidHead wrote:
eddieatemypizza wrote:who the hell buys dvd's anymore?

People who like being honest, that's who.
People who realize how many different persons were involved with making the movie and how much work went into it and that those people deserve to be paid regardless of how selfish you are so that they can afford to feed themselves and their families.
"He's underground now. His new name is Number Seven."
KoRn_Child
Just Passing Through

Post by KoRn_Child »

Yuki wrote:
Er... why? From what I'm hearing, BoM is quite well-made.
I played the demo a few times and then was fortunate enough to have my friend let me borrow his copy. It's really not well-made at all. I mean, I guess if you're really desperate for a Diablo/Untold Legends style game for the Vita it's the best you can get right now. But that's not saying much. The mechanics are sloppy, and the environments are very drab and repetitive. Which is fine in a horror game, but not so much in a dungeon crawler. Unfortunately the story doesn't do the game any favors either. It's pretty bad from what I've seen of it, although it is possible it gets better later on. But judging from the time I spent with the game, it isn't likely.

That's not to say the game is terrible. It's not. But it is the worst Silent Hill-branded game I've played, and not what I consider worth a purchase. It's an all-around poor, but bearable, game that I feel is disrespectful to the franchise and the fans.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

I don't know if I'll buy it. If I do, it'll be 3-D blu ray, but only when heavily it's discounted, so probably a couple years from now.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Home 3D's unpopular, JD. It'll probably be half-off on the likes of Amazon within half a year.