There´s electricity in the foggy dark world...

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Cole.Is.A.Maniac
Just Passing Through

Post by Cole.Is.A.Maniac »

From what I learned in school....with a proper use of lighting, items that are otherwise safe and calming, can become distorted and frightening. Much is the case of Silent Hill. Sometimes just looking a box with the proper lighting can scare you. (Not really, but you understand.) One of the finer points of the game is to scare you and the random lighting can deliver such an affect. But I do doubt that is there is some hidden and lengthy reason behind it.
When she [b]embraces[/b]
Your [i]heart[/i] turns to [i]stone[/i]
She comes at [b]night[/b]
When [i]you[/i] are all [i]alone[/i]
Phantasmagoria
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Phantasmagoria »

Lol, I thinks its been said but I'm to lazy to read back. Theirs light in the game cause Konami arn't idiots that release a pitch black game... "Guys, guys just imagine how much money we'll make with a game where you can see nothing!" lol, so yeah thats why theres light. ;]
Son_of_Kauffman
Gravedigger

Post by Son_of_Kauffman »

I liked more the first, with absolutly no lightning...
Spetsnaz of the Interior Troops of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia
Spetsnaz sil Vnutrenniye Voiska Ministerstva Vnutrennikh Del

http://egan.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/20/california-will-survive-its-crackup/?ref=opinion

Think of Italy — which reminds me of California in so many ways — and its chronic inability to form a government. That’s California, with even better food and no parliamentary system.
....somewhere in Italy a contract was put out on the life of the article's author.
Phantasmagoria
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Phantasmagoria »

Son_of_Kauffman wrote:I liked more the first, with absolutly no lightning...
I think you're silly.
Son_of_Kauffman
Gravedigger

Post by Son_of_Kauffman »

Why?Alchemilla Hospital was a lot creepier than Brookhaven...
Spetsnaz of the Interior Troops of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia
Spetsnaz sil Vnutrenniye Voiska Ministerstva Vnutrennikh Del

http://egan.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/20/california-will-survive-its-crackup/?ref=opinion

Think of Italy — which reminds me of California in so many ways — and its chronic inability to form a government. That’s California, with even better food and no parliamentary system.
....somewhere in Italy a contract was put out on the life of the article's author.
Nurse Babz
My Bestsellers Clerk
Location: Is Florida considered the Dirty South or East Coast?

Post by Nurse Babz »

Poeple are losing their damn minds in the series, monsters are walking around, blood and rust is everywhere, the architecture defies gravity and logic, and we are questioning why some lights are still working. :P
There was a Dead RN here. It's alive now.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/6301/nbxmzw0.jpg[/img][/url]
Folterung
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Folterung »

Son_of_Kauffman wrote:Why?Alchemilla Hospital was a lot creepier than Brookhaven...
thats your opinion. i believe that the CREATORS OF THE GAME added lights to the game to show that its an actual building, not a god damn cave. then again thats my opinion.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v731/Eternal21121/folterungsigdv8.gif[/img]
Thanks XmaggotX
Lost In Fog
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by Lost In Fog »

B5160-R wrote:There doesn't have to be, but there is.

It's a mutilated image of reality, and in most realities there is elegtricity.
That's perfectly clear I think. There's no way of there being a "power plant" or anything like that. Plain on simple.....Silent Hill is a working, living, breathing town with these people going through it whilst the real world goes on. I think the movie gave this impression in some way....But that's another story. The lights working are just a way of giving you, the gamer, this impression. :)
[img]http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g222/lostinfog_photos/lif2.jpg[/img]
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

B5160-R wrote:There doesn't have to be, but there is.

It's a mutilated image of reality, and in most realities there is elegtricity.
The "Silent Hill Realm" is basically our world, fucked up. So yes, there's electricity, and yes, there's stuff that run off of electricity, but there're also fucked up monsters and weird, annoying siren noises...
lain of the wired
Historical Society Historian
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

Son_of_Kauffman wrote:I liked more the first, with absolutly no lightning...
....There was lighting in the first. Way to argue using nonsense as facts.

On that note, actually, yes: there IS a game being made under the premise that you're playing as a blind guy. It's first person and a mystery/puzzle game. You figure things out by reading text at the bottom of the screen (your thoughts on what you're "touching"), a little compass for your "sense of direction," a counter for the steps from each landmark and sound (it's different walking on carpet and wood floors! Wow!). I'm pretty sure it ain't gonna sell. Intresting idea- just plain stupid in practice.

Do you understand why this doesn't work? Why a black screen with sounds wouldn't sell a game? Think practically, please, then we can discuss the theoretical.
Last edited by lain of the wired on 04 Jun 2006, edited 1 time in total.
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
Fan from Silent Hill
Just Passing Through

Post by Fan from Silent Hill »

lain of the wired's words:
....There was lighting in the first. Way to argue using nonsense as facts.
Where, exactly, was there illumination in Silent Hill 1? Except for in the misty reality?

- from the moment where it first gets dark, followed by entire school part it's pitch black

- then it gets dark again in the hospital, pitch b l a c k, only Harry's flashlight is there

- next dark part of the game is the sewers, and it's deep black not a single light until the very end of the game

Only spots in the game while in darkness (not when it's daylight with the mist) where there is a light that's not Harry's flashlight are: the giant TV in the mall before Boss #2 and the top of the Lighthouse.

And I claim this because I finished playing SH1 a day ago.

lain of the wired's words:
On that note, actually, yes: there IS a game being made under the premise that you're playing as a blind guy. It's first person and a mystery/puzzle game. You figure things out by reading text at the bottom of the screen (your thoughts on what you're "touching"), a little compass for your "sense of direction," a counter for the steps from each landmark and sound (it's different walking on carpet and wood floors! Wow!). I'm pretty sure it ain't gonna sell. Interesting idea- just plain stupid in practice.

Do you understand why this doesn't work? Why a black screen with sounds wouldn't sell a game? Think practically, please, then we can discuss the theoretical.
I think that you're not considering all the facts, and that you are over reacting.

Well, so am I, but I am writing this at 5:45 am...
Killer Raven

Post by Killer Raven »

it's an alternate world... ALTERNATE world..

not NEW world! the maps have the same basic set up, doors exsist... theres an outside.... it's not like you're thrown into "A damned cave", there has to be some logic behind it.. why didn't you question about the doors, or windows, or fucking MOVING hallways?
lain of the wired
Historical Society Historian
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

Woof- overeacting? Good sir, I am by no means overreacting. People mentioned that the game would be no fun in pitch black: I am merely giving an example that I saw. I suppose you could have read it as though I were yelling... online, no one can hear your vocal inflections, I suppose. Had I been speaking, my tone would have been calm and gentle. Perhaps that's why emoticons should include one that expresses calmness and a voice of reason... though how they'd do that I don't know.
Only spots in the game while in darkness (not when it's daylight with the mist) where there is a light that's not Harry's flashlight are: the giant TV in the mall before Boss #2 and the top of the Lighthouse.
...Which would be sources of light and require electricity. They would also be the examples I was referring to.

Honestly, as soon as someone brings up any kind of theory, silly or serious, it's like everyone feels it's open game for a fight. There's no cause for tempers, people. You'll only get the topic closed.

And we already asked him why he didn't question the halls, doors or windows. And why he didn't question the air. He has yet to answer us. Were I a paranoid person, I'd almost say he brought up this merely question to aggrivate us, and that in truth, he knows better. Am I correct that this is just a very silly joke? Can we all move on yet?
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
Fan from Silent Hill
Just Passing Through

Post by Fan from Silent Hill »

Yeah you're right, this is all just a waste of time. :!:

I'm goin' to sleep :arrow: ......
Nurse Babz
My Bestsellers Clerk
Location: Is Florida considered the Dirty South or East Coast?

Post by Nurse Babz »

to buttress lain's statement, there is electricity. When you're running to the hospital in the alternate world, the walk/do not walk lights are flashing like in sh2.

anyway, it's for effect. if it was pitch black the entire time, it'd be kinda like doom, from what i've heard. And silent hill isn't like anything but silent hill.
There was a Dead RN here. It's alive now.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/6301/nbxmzw0.jpg[/img][/url]
Morphia_Slow
Just Passing Through

Post by Morphia_Slow »

Son_of_Kauffman wrote:
Fan from Silent Hill wrote: As for electricity it probably inexplicably manifests itself at seen locations, OR maybe it isn't electricity at all only appeares as such.
Then what is it?
Fog powered energy. Yep thats it.
Does it even matter?
"Outside the Dream world life is harsh - sometimes cruel - but it is life"
~Auron~
Squarehead
Gravedigger

Post by Squarehead »

Relax, everything is explained quite clearly in the following video: CLICKIE.
I can't believe i earned 10 Silent Hill cash for this.
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

Just as another example, I think everyone's forgetting in Nowhere, there's an electrified key. Harry specifically says about electricity. Wow.
Book of Memories ID: five5sixers
SpaceProg
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SpaceProg »

Then what is it?

Evil-make-things-work-zappy-stuff... Of Doom.
BlackFire

Post by BlackFire »

It's a lot eerier than complete utter darkness. I think the best example of this would be at the beginning of SH4, when Henry awakens to find his room covered in blood and rust.