A graphical masterpiece

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

MeatyDistraction
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MeatyDistraction »

Drewfus wrote:I find it very odd that SH4 didn't look as good as SH3.
Same.

The graphics were incredibly dumbed down, and it was especially evident during cutscenes.

Damn, I just realized how old this thread is.

Oops.
"Are you goin' to Hell or Heaven? Did you walk with the sinners, or pray with the reverend? Tell the truth, I did a little of both, but ain't no tellin' where I'm goin' 'til my body's a ghost."
ZeroVolumeHill

Post by ZeroVolumeHill »

The character models in SH4 indeed seemed slightly more detailed,but the level design wasnt,because SH4 uses more PS2 power,considering the amount of active characters in a scene(Henry AND Eileen/Cynthia PLUS 3-5 more monsters = ouch!).SH4 looks great with its polished textures and models,however SH3 manages to look even better because it uses more complex lighting,which sets up a good atmosphere and makes it seem visually more stunning.Thats just how I see it.

That was a public service anouncment brought to you by ME! :mrgreen:
Pyramid Hunter
Just Passing Through

Post by Pyramid Hunter »

i agree with all of you guys. it was just beautiful in a disturbing sort of way.
Ya' know, if you keep looking at Pyramid Head, you're destined to see red.

JUST FUCKING RUN!!!!!
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

Yeah all the mad textures and bizarre details in the background really set this one appart.
Double Helix, I spit on your grave! :evil:
Maverick
Just Passing Through

Post by Maverick »

I agree, this game graphically did a wondeful job. One of my favorite enviourments had to be the Amusement park, it was nicely done.
axel-cd
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by axel-cd »

Damn, this thread makes want to play SH3 again :) ... I totally agree, SH3 is a graphical masterpiece
Silent Hill fan from Venezuela!
Disciple of Claudia
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Disciple of Claudia »

Of course it's a masterpiece. Mother Claudia was in it.
Hopscotch is Civilization!
Nightmareish Waltzer
Just Passing Through

Post by Nightmareish Waltzer »

I wouldn't call Silent Hill III "A Graphical Masterpiece", but it is one of the few Polished Video games during the 2003 era, especially when most games that came out that year were less than stellar. There are a lot of games at the end of the PS2's reigning era (2006 to early 2007) that blow SH-III out of water graphically and lighting wise (that I know of). Silent Hill IV certainly had the better graphic character models, you can see that in main character's promotional images, but it lacks in the area of the moody lighting, given that the graphics look dull, washed out and gray.

.Resident Evil IV - (Character Models, Lighting, and Graphics beat SH3 in the realistic realms)

.Okami - (In the lighting area, given that the characters are drawn like Calligraphy so character models don't count in this)

.Final Fantasy XII - (Graphics Engine, Lighting and Character Models)

.Tomb Raider Legend - (Graphics, Lighting and Character Models despite their cartooniness)

In terms of Silent Hill, #3 is the only game out of the 4 that looks as though every detail was paid attention to and tweaked until it archived near perfection.... video game wise anyhow. Silent Hill II wouldn't count, because its graphics nearly resemble Silent Hill I's CGI and In-game cinematic's (only more defined with the in-game) in a more upgraded sense; I.E. the characters carry the plastic appearance, and clunky model animations.
There's a hole in the wall. Naturally, the smart and sane thing to do would be to stick your hand inside it or crawl through it.
Scanman22

Post by Scanman22 »

After Silent Hill 2, Team Silent created a new graphics engine in order to create Silent Hill 3. The reason being is to create environments that come alive such as bleeding walls, blur effects, burning embers throughout, and other nuances everywhere. They wanted the environments to "make" the game and really be a character itself in a sense. Because of this it truly succeeded. I remember reading about how extremely perfect the Silent Hill 2 engine looked graphically and every game magazine was so surprised and skeptical that TS was developing a new engine from scratch. They took and expensive risk and because of this risk, Silent Hill 3 became the most detailed and beautiful SH so far.

Now, most of you guys are confused about Silent Hill 4. The game BECAME a Silent Hill title in pre-production people! It's not like they changed it after they started creating it. It was while they were coming up with this "Room" idea in the pre-production "idea kick-around". Some of the TS members wanted to make this new series, but Konami wanted a sure thing. And since TS had 1 more game on their contract they thought it would be silly and risky to start a new series now. So TS made the decision to finish up the deal with a final PS2 Silent Hill entry. Thus, Silent Hill 4: The Room was born.

So the members of TS were split into 2 groups. One worked on 3 and the other worked on 4 while the "key" members bounced back and forth. So truly, SH4 was worked on longer than the others. In some areas it shows such as the intricate story detail and great character models. It truly is an amazing game, but the changes are what makes it unable to live up to what makes a Silent Hill game. And because of these major changes is why it failed in the eyes of the fans.

I know for the third person view parts of 4 used the same engine as 3, but a new side engine was produced for the 1st person parts. Well, maybe not a new engine, but the existing definately was modded a bit.

Anyways, Silent Hill 3 is definately a beautiful game and hopefully 5 will continue to up the ante on becoming the most gorgeous Silent Hill game ever. Origins is one hell of a PSP beauty, but because it is on the PSP which is slightly less than the PS2 power, it can only go so far before the line of the absolute limit is reached. But Climax (UK division) definately deserves props for turning Origins from the ugliest entry to actually competing with it's older siblings. Thank God, it is out of the hands of the LA dev branch because those guys can take there long-armed purple monsters and go f--- themselves! :shock:

I'm rambling now so I'll end this post because it's time I hit the sack. Peace!
- Member of the Order -
~ The Sect of Valtiel ~
Alessyl
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Alessyl »

The graphics definitely work. They certainly enhance the feeling of the game for me and bring out the right sort of emotion.
Are you still following me? Do I have to scream? ~Heather
Fredrick2003
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Fredrick2003 »

Its a beautiful game, no doubt.

Kinda makes me wonder what SH3 would like like given all of the graphical tools developers have at their disposal right now...
SuriKatta
Just Passing Through

Post by SuriKatta »

I think SH3 was definately the most graphically-strong and intensely graphically-detailed out of all in the series. It was literally visceral. It's as if you could feel every bit of dirt and grime... every filthy, pussy bloodstain. You could sense the heat pulsing off of the fleshy walls... EVERYTHING in the environment seemed to 'live'.

I actually remember having to force myself to stop playing when I was sick once. What can I say? The gore was so good that it started to make me nausiated. ;)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Alinnia/lisasig.jpg[/img]
Numb Body01
Historical Society Historian

Post by Numb Body01 »

Haha, that's awesome. I also couldn't agree with your post more. :)
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Krysta

Post by Krysta »

Surely best of the series and from what I have seen so far in SH5 trailers nothing will probably change :roll:
Phobia
Just Passing Through

Post by Phobia »

I agree that this one is visually the best, even the game-play exceeds that of the others-easily. But IMO it's just as good as the rest. It felt too short to feel as much of a journey as 2 or 4 felt. The ending(either version) just left me with no closure and a bit of 'wtf'. I think I will play it again eventually, and who knows doing that might change my opinion. But until then, I thought it would be nice if someone could explain why this stands out as the best title of the the series in their own opinion. :?:
The Procrastinator
Just Passing Through

Post by The Procrastinator »

Aestethically one of the most stunning, awe-inspiring, jaw-dropping games ever.
That's all there is to it. Didn't matter what it was it was you were looking at -- everything was incredibly real. The only thing that vexed me was Heather's hair -- it was like she put a ton of hair gel in it to keep it from moving :?
We entered Winter once again
Naked, freezing from my breath
Neath the lid all limbs tucked away
This coffin is your abode from now
and onwards
Cohen330
Just Passing Through

Post by Cohen330 »

I agree that SH 3 is amazing graphically. Definitely better than even 4, Origins, or the previous games. It does stand the test of time as well, similar to ps2's Shadow of the Colossus. SH 5 will outdo it, of course, but in the meantime I am happy to replay SH 3 :o
Detective Cartland
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Detective Cartland »

Actually if you compare SH5's cutscenes to SH3's, the latter looks more defined and realistic IMO.
[img]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i309/Juridawn/Graphics/DouglasSig.jpg[/img]
[i]"And everything seemed to be going so well...."[/i]
Breaka
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Breaka »

This game looks so fine, I often approach chicks in a bar with the line, "your beauty almost rivals the graphics of Silent Hill 3".
Double Helix, I spit on your grave! :evil:
Cohen330
Just Passing Through

Post by Cohen330 »

Breaka wrote:This game looks so fine, I often approach chicks in a bar with the line, "your beauty almost rivals the graphics of Silent Hill 3".
Hahaha, if I was a chick, I'd totally be complimented. I like the "almost" part. :lol:
Detective Cartland wrote:Actually if you compare SH5's cutscenes to SH3's, the latter looks more defined and realistic IMO.
I see what you mean, but then again, those are just screenshots, and when you are playing SH 5 on an HD TV, the quality is sure to be better than what they could show online...

double posts merged by moderator