Harry was going to pass away eventually

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Burning Man
Historical Society Historian

Harry was going to pass away eventually

Post by Burning Man »

...and not due to old age.

According to the official novel, Harry was diagnosed with advanced stage of liver cancer. The novel goes on to explain that Harry tried to keep this information from his daughter, and only would go for treatment after she had left for school. It was on that day when the events of Silent Hill 3 takes place that he was planning to tell her everything over dinner: his illness, the secret of her birth, and even "The Order." He was planning to discuss with Heather about how she would prepare for her future when he's no longer around. Unfortunately, he met his demise at the hands of the Missionary before he had a chance to do so.

Thinking back to the game, I had wondered if this had any relation to Last Drop Cafe in the Hilltop Center. This is where Heather picks up the Pork Liver from an open refrigerator. A lone Insane Cancer is sleeping on the floor. Perhaps, despite Harry's best efforts to keep his illness a secret, Heather knew...?

Rest In Peace, Harry.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Re: Harry was going to pass away eventually

Post by The Adversary »

Oof.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
LittleNightma
Just Passing Through

Post by LittleNightma »

Interesting. I still need to get ahold of the novels myself.
"Writing a book is a horrible, exhausting struggle, like a long bout of some painful illness. One would never take on such a thing if one were not driven on by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand." - George Orwell
Droo

Post by Droo »

I didn't even realize there was a novelization of SH3.

Is it official? Is it considered canon?
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

Droo wrote: 28 Oct 2022 Is it official? Is it considered canon?
Official, yes.
Canon? Ehhh, up for debate at best. It's as canon as any other novelization not written by the original writer is, I suppose. Do you consider the Resident Evil novelizations canon? The Zelda manga? I don't, personally. My viewpoint is that it's an adaptation, no different from a Silent Hill 3 movie. But as long as nothing is directly contradictory I'm not going to say others shouldn't.
jthomp1286
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Post by jthomp1286 »

This immediately made me think of "Hometown" from the SH3 OST.
The rest of the bar laughed at him
Only I felt my hope grow dim
They found him dead the very next day
"No more stories from him," I heard them say
We blamed bad luck for his fate
Only I felt terror so great
So, there could be something to this. Unless the author was inspired by the song, of course.
Under the burning sun I take a look around
Imagine if this all came down
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>This immediately made me think of "Hometown" from the SH3 OST.<
I always interpreted the song as being about Harry anyway, just, you know, with liberties.

But still a bummer. Only 49 years old with late-stage liver cancer.

So now I'm curious about the novel: What was that thing Harry asked Heather to get for him?
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Herr Shaun
Gravedigger

Post by Herr Shaun »

I found what claims to be a partial translation of the novel online. If this translation is accurate, Harry asks Heather to pick up a book - Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon - which would have "come in handy for something [he was] working on." I think this ties in quite nicely with the game, in that the first puzzle of the game takes place in the bookstore from which she would have bought that book had she remembered.

https://silenthaven.tumblr.com/silenthill3-novel

I don't know if this is considered piracy by the mods/Vixx, but if it is I will delete this post.
You've got your good things, and I've got mine.
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

Herr Shaun wrote: 30 Oct 2022 I found what claims to be a partial translation of the novel online. If this translation is accurate, Harry asks Heather to pick up a book - Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon - which would have "come in handy for something [he was] working on." I think this ties in quite nicely with the game, in that the first puzzle of the game takes place in the bookstore from which she would have bought that book had she remembered.

https://silenthaven.tumblr.com/silenthill3-novel

I don't know if this is considered piracy by the mods/Vixx, but if it is I will delete this post.
Nope, no issues with me. Thanks for sharing it!
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>f this translation is accurate, Harry asks Heather to pick up a book - Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon<
Interesting. That's one of my favorite books. Like, I've read it three or four times, maybe five—it's been awhile, however.

Even made a thread about it.

A brief synopsis: 'A few months after the Germans' secret V-2 rocket bombs begin falling on London, British Intelligence discovers a map of the city pinpointing the sexual conquests of one Lieutenant Tyrone Slothrop, U.S. Army, corresponds identically to a map showing the V-2 impact sites. The implications of this discovery will launch Slothrop on an amazing journey across war-torn Europe, fleeing an international cabal of military-industrial superpowers, in search of the mysterious Rocket 00000, through a wildly comic extravaganza that has been hailed in The New Republic as "the most profound and accomplished American novel since the end of World War II."'

That then begs the question: What did Harry do after escaping Silent Hill? We know he was an author, though I'm not sure how a copy of Gravity's Rainbow would "come in handy" unless he's working on a new novel.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Maybe he was having trouble falling asleep. ;)
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Lifetolifeless
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Lifetolifeless »

Doesn't feel very interesting if it's not something that can only be found in Silent Hill. Otherwise, any ol' book store should be fine. Maybe there was something special about that particular copy?

Patience is the darkest side of power.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

It seems to me that Harry just asked because Heather was going to the mall anyway, so it was just a Hey will you do this favor for me while you're there? kinda thing.

I can't find any publication history, except that the edition I have was released in 2006, so several years after the events of SILENT HILL 3. I think the last "new" edition prior to that was published in 1987. Seems like Harry just really wanted the book and didn't want to leave home.

Maybe he should have.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

Herr Shaun wrote: 30 Oct 2022 I found what claims to be a partial translation of the novel online.
Seems very different from the copy of the novel I have.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

. . . Then what is it?

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

I think what's up on that Silent Haven tumblr is fanfiction, not a translation of the actual novel. If you check their section for novelizations they have one listed for every game and they're all pretty incomplete and (to be honest) increasingly amateur. But from what I can tell the only games that got novel adaptations were 1, 2, and 3 (and the two movies). So the ones for the other games must be fan-made. If SH3 doesn't match up with someone whose reading the official novel, it makes sense to assume it's also a fan one.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

That’s fair. I’d just like to know what Burning Man knows what we don’t know, after explicitly asking.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

Ah, well. I don't think the novel explicitly says what that thing Harry asked her to get was either; unless I missed an indirect reference to it somewhere.

I think it's a MacGuffin. Not really important what it is, but that it serves a purpose to progress the plot.

If you're interested in a taste of the novel, I invite you to read the five-page sample I posted in the Silent Hill Media section. Note that any feeling of amateurishness would be my fault, and not the original author's.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
Herr Shaun
Gravedigger

Post by Herr Shaun »

Dang, sorry guys. Didn't mean to get anyone's hopes up.
You've got your good things, and I've got mine.
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

Herr Shaun wrote: 01 Nov 2022 Dang, sorry guys. Didn't mean to get anyone's hopes up.
Not your fault. At least we found out before everyone started writing new headcanons! XD
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.