"The body must have been crushed..."

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Esperandote
Just Passing Through

"The body must have been crushed..."

Post by Esperandote »

I could have sworn I saw a thread on this already a while back, but my searches proved fruitless, so please forgive me if this has already been posted.
This always used to confuse me whenever I played Silent Hill 3, because I had no idea what it was referring to.
In the room where you find the empty wine bottle in the underground passage, you can check the debris next to the wine rack and Heather will think, "The body must have been crushed by something very heavy. By this then? How horrible."
But I could never - and still can't, even on the HD collection - see a body that was "crushed by something very heavy", anywhere.
Recently, playing through Silent Hill 3 again, I found a spot in the subway area that is blocked by a ton of debris and I can make out the feet of a person sticking out from under all of it, and I think there's some blood around them. When I checked it, Heather doesn't make any mention of it. This got me wondering if they somehow got the text mixed up for these two spots.
Has anyone else ever noticed this? Does anyone know if this actually is a mistake?
SAIRENT HIRU no uta minna de utaou!
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Re: "The body must have been crushed..."

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

That sounds familiar. I'm almost pretty sure that I vaguely recall someone used a cam hack and found that there was no body in that area. I don't remember where I saw this though, so I have now idea where to find a link or anything. I'll have a quick look around and if I find it I'll post it. If I'm remembering things correctly, then you're probably right, they've put the text in the wrong spot, or something...

*edit*
Nope, couldn't find it. I'm pretty sure it was a YouTube video, but I can't find anything, and the only cam hack videos I can find include everything but that area.
Esperandote
Just Passing Through

Post by Esperandote »

It never made sense to me until I saw the actual crushed body a couple days ago in the HD collection. That's when it clicked that the texts must have been swapped. I guess that's one thing the HD collection was good for. It semi-answered a nagging question I always had when playing SH3.

-----------

Just played through the game again, and she does mention the body in the subway. She says, "Is someone sleeping here?" And mentions the blood. But the other part still doesn't make sense, since there's no body.

Mod Edit: Please read the rules regarding double posting
SAIRENT HIRU no uta minna de utaou!
Burning Man
Historical Society Historian

Post by Burning Man »

The Japanese subtitle has Heather saying something like carrying another bottle would slow her down, and that neither her nor her dad likes alcohol all that much. I could never locate "the body must have been crushed" in Japanese anywhere else, though.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Burning Man wrote: 24 Dec 2021 The Japanese subtitle has Heather saying something like carrying another bottle would slow her down, and that neither her nor her dad likes alcohol all that much. I could never locate "the body must have been crushed" in Japanese anywhere else, though.
...BURNING MAN?!?!

Holy crap! Welcome back, friend! How are you??? :)
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

Thanks for the warm welcome, Droo. Just stopped by to see how everyone was doing.
Hope everything's going well for you.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
Vixx
Founder & Administrator
Founder & Administrator

Post by Vixx »

Burning Man wrote: 28 Dec 2021 Thanks for the warm welcome, Droo. Just stopped by to see how everyone was doing.
Hope everything's going well for you.
Good to see you, my friend. ❤️
V xx

© 2003-2024 Vixx. The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of silenthillforum.com. Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited. No, I can't believe this place is still up and running, either.
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

Much love, Vixx!

EDIT:

Turns out "The body must have been crushed..." is an English-subtitle exclusive message resource "bug." None of the other subtitles have this problem, which includes Japanese, French, German, Italian, Spanish, and Korean. Those six subtitles all say that carrying more bottles would slow her down and neither Harry nor she likes alcohol all that much.

The English resource file has entry 0x22 and 0x23 duplicated in the Sewer Upper message resource file. The other localized resource files have 0x22 which has the equivalent for "The body must have been crushed..." but 0x23 has the "carrying more bottles would slow her down" message.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Those six subtitles all say that carrying more bottles would slow her down and neither Harry nor she likes alcohol all that much.<
Interesting that she says Harry doesn't like alcohol yet there he is with late-stage liver cancer.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Is alcohol the only cause of that?
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

There are several causes. Hepatitis B/C, obesity, and smoking are also factors. Alcohol abuse is the most common, though.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Maybe walking around a hellish dimension has repercussions in your body...
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

Well, some people are just more unlucky than others. Doesn't matter how healthy they are, they still get a lousy deal in life.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

At least Travis made it out all right.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

The Adversary wrote: 21 Jul 2023 At least Travis made it out all right.
Unless one interprets his appearance in Foggy Shepherd's Glenn as indicative that he ended up trapped endlessly outside of reality a la Rose DeSilva.
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I suppose it's possible, in a Howard sort of way, making more deliveries to Silent Hill, picking up hitchhikers and taking them to town.

I'd buy it more if it hadn't already been indicated Laura came with Eddie.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

What does Laura coming with Eddie have to do with whether Travis truly made it out of Silent Hill's realm?
Lives in the mirror"
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

I'm saying, in this scenario where Travis is so-called trapped, he could have been the one who picked up Eddie and Laura and took them to Silent Hill, as a sort of delivery guy for the town.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Droo

Post by Droo »

My thinking is you already have to be out of reality to encounter Travis. Eddie and Laura came to town together from the real world. Alex has been out of reality since his escape from Alchemilla.
Lives in the mirror"
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

Wasn't the "trapped in Silent Hill forever" aspect conceptualized in Downpour? I am not a fan of the idea that Silent Hill is the theologican version of limbo before death. Seems like the later developers simply took the religious symbolism a bit too far.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.