The Main Characters and how They See the Otherworld

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

The Main Characters and how They See the Otherworld

Post by simeonalo »

A few questions on this the Otherworld, while FarmVille is loading.

Do all of the main characters (Douglass, Claudia, Vincent, Heather, etc.) see the otherworld the same was as Heather does (with the rust/blood, etc.)? Or do they see it entirely different from one another?

In my opinion, they all see it the same way.

But, if they were to see it differently, I would have a few ideas on how they would see it

Claudia: I'm thinking that Claudia would see everything as entirely broken down and looks as if the people who lived there 'abused' (get it?) the whole place and didn't have a second thought about it.

Douglas: For Douglas, everything would be desolate, empty, and abandoned. Nothing there, complete silence with the occasional monster noise. The whole place would be dusty and moldy, though.

Vincent: For Vincent, he would see it as very dark with no light at all (if he even does see and otherworld). Representing his loss in the faith of the Order (can't explain it, I'll try to update later)

So do you think everyone sees the Otherworld the same was as Heather? If not, how do you think they would see it?
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

They all see it the same way.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

Although I think that it can be different, when Heather/Alessa/Cheryl is in the town, she controls the shape of the Otherworld, and so everyone sees what she sees and how she sees it.. Maybe not EXACTLY the same, but close enough that you could identify it as her own nightmare.
I don't make a signature.
Except for the part of the signature explaining that I don't.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
Returbuliz
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Returbuliz »

I think the overall theme of the otherworld is the same for all of them, but some certain elements might differ based on each character's psyche.
For example Heather would see elements related to her pregnancy, while Douglas 'might' see ones regarding his son's death.
Not dead which eternal lie, stranger eons death may die
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

It doesn't entirely work, though, because Claudia also has insight into Claudia's psyche. It seems more like an SH1 or SH4 situation, controlled by the two women.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

They all see the same Otherworld. Remember when you meet Douglas after the first boss? He's all like "What the Hell happened? And those monsters, you saw'em too?"
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

Mephisto wrote:They all see the same Otherworld. Remember when you meet Douglas after the first boss? He's all like "What the Hell happened? And those monsters, you saw'em too?"
That's proof hat he saw monsters, but not he same ones that Heather saw. I think they were most likely seeing the same thing because her connection > his connection... but there's no evidence that they were looking at the same thing the whole time.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

It seems fairly easy in Silent Hill's 1, 3, and 0rigins, that everyone's getting a taste of Alessa's world, so to speak. And in The Room, it's Walter's doing.

What makes me ponder on this subject the most is SH2. The town, its monsters--it was reflecting on James psyche. And then Angela's otherword, it was reflecting hers, yet James could see her monster, Abstract Daddy, too, couldn't he? Or do I have that reversed? Either way, it seems easier to say that Harry, Travis, Dahlia, Vincent, Claudia, Heather, possibly Douglas, all see the same things in the games that surround Alessa's story.

It gets more complicated to me with James, Angela, probably Eddie, and definitely Laura, all seeing different things.
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

What makes me ponder on this subject the most is SH2. The town, its monsters--it was reflecting on James psyche. And then Angela's otherword, it was reflecting hers, yet James could see her monster, Abstract Daddy, too, couldn't he? Or do I have that reversed?
James can see the "Abstract Daddy" or whatever 'cause it can be a manifestation of when he killed Mary too.

And Laura didn't had a Otherworld.
cascade88

Post by cascade88 »

^ Fair enough. I was never sure on 'Abstract Daddy' due to, well, it's name. I can see how it's a manifestation of a bed, due to what James did, it's only the name that ever confused me about it.

And, I didn't mean to say Laura had an Otherworld. I meant that she saw something different as in, she didn't see any of the monsters. I remember reading somewhere on here that she probably saw a really nice town, due to the way that Mary painted it as such with her words, being fond of Silent Hill, cos of her and James' special place.
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

I always thought that Laura had a nice Otherworld, but an Otherworld none the less. She is too young and has no guilt to weigh her down, so what she sees is sweet and innocent, kind of like the nature of a child. I wonder if it would still be the case if she was a character in any of the other games?
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

Laura just sees the empty town as everyone else sees. No people, no monsters, no nothing. The environment is just "beautiful" and not "bloody" or "deadly" imo.
SilentObserver
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentObserver »

I know Vincent sees the Otherworld like everyone else does, but I'm not sure if that's just at the end of the game. His comment about the "decorating" or whatever leads me to believe that he hasn't seen it up until then and seeing it pisses him off.
Only some of my posts are serious.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

What makes me ponder on this subject the most is SH2. The town, its monsters--it was reflecting on James psyche. And then Angela's otherword, it was reflecting hers, yet James could see her monster, Abstract Daddy, too, couldn't he? Or do I have that reversed?
There's implications that Angela sees a different thing than the Abstract Daddy James does, and that Angela's room doesn't look like it does to James.
Laura just sees the empty town as everyone else sees. No people, no monsters, no nothing. The environment is just "beautiful" and not "bloody" or "deadly" imo.
She sees a town that's empty even though people should be all over, she sees beautiful hotels that are burned down to the ground in the real world, she can walk across chasms and road blocks that make places inaccessible for James, her world is filled with cute drawings and teddy bears that surely aren't there in the real world, and she can walk to places that really shouldn't connect in the real world. Laura has her own Otherworld, but it's a beautiful place manifested from her loneliness, her desire to see Mary, and the mental image she formed in her mind based on Mary's pictures and stories.
I know Vincent sees the Otherworld like everyone else does, but I'm not sure if that's just at the end of the game. His comment about the "decorating" or whatever leads me to believe that he hasn't seen it up until then and seeing it pisses him off.
I don't see how it follows. This is the first time he's been in a church since the whole thing started, and he's been wanting to bitch out Claudia the whole game. I don't think it's so much "Vincent started seeing something different" so much as it is "He has the bitch cornered and the final curtain's about to fall, time to kill her."
SilentObserver
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentObserver »

You're probably right. Hmm .. didn't he have the bitch cornered in the hotel room too? Seems that would be as good of a place to stab her as the church. Vincent is the only one who doesn't seem to be affected - at all - by his otherworld surroundings, until the end of the game. He even acts like he doesn't see it in a few conversations to Heather (what, they look like monsters to you?) Though ... He could have told heather all this stuff with the intention of stopping Claudia in her church, and perhaps taking out Alessa too. I'm assuming that's what most people took away from him being in the game. Now I'm just nitpicking, carry on ;)

*edit* why are we talking about Laura in a SH3 thread? Tossing that brat into this mix just throws everything off, I think. She wouldn't last 3 seconds if everyone in SH3 sees the same things :p
Only some of my posts are serious.
NeoAquarius12
Gravedigger

Post by NeoAquarius12 »

Hey! You take that back! Laura would too survive! Heather would protect her. There could be a nice story in that by itself. But don't leave her alone with Douglas. I don't even trust Heather with Douglas alone.

lol.

But I guess the point is that in order to explore what the Otherworld is in SH3, we must be aware of what it is like in all the series, and SH2 provides the best insight into how the Otherworld can change.
And that.
And that.
And that.
...and that.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

You're probably right. Hmm .. didn't he have the bitch cornered in the hotel room too?
She had the door, and besides, Vincent wants Heather to do it.
Seems that would be as good of a place to stab her as the church. Vincent is the only one who doesn't seem to be affected - at all - by his otherworld surroundings, until the end of the game. He even acts like he doesn't see it in a few conversations to Heather (what, they look like monsters to you?) Though ... He could have told heather all this stuff with the intention of stopping Claudia in her church, and perhaps taking out Alessa too. I'm assuming that's what most people took away from him being in the game. Now I'm just nitpicking, carry on
He sees everything; he was commenting from the initial conversation that he finds the supernatural events around them interesting.
*edit* why are we talking about Laura in a SH3 thread? Tossing that brat into this mix just throws everything off, I think. She wouldn't last 3 seconds if everyone in SH3 sees the same things :p
Ultimately, SH2 will have to be involved to some degree when discussing the subjectivity of the Otherworld's reality.