At what point do we change from real world to abyss?

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Burning Man
Historical Society Historian

Post by Burning Man »

AuraTwilight wrote:It's important to note that Harry is atleast alive during the phone call scene, since Heather concludes the phonecall with "Love you too, Dad."
Yeah, and it's the only phone call scene where we don't hear anyone on the other end.

I thought it was odd that the same-looking pay phone was shoved in the locker in Brookhaven otherworld, and if I remember correctly, the phone that Heather used to Harry is missing in the otherworld version of the mall.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

We don't hear anyone on the other end because it's unnecessary for us to hear it, at the other times what we hear on the phone is important either for story or for fuckedupness

We know that Harry says that he loves her, what more do we need from that conversation? What exactly are you saying, that Heather is talking but there's nobody on the other end?

And whilst it mightbe the same looking pay phone in the locker, I think that that's more because it's a pay phone and they used the same model for it, weren't the pay phones in the other levels the same too, like in the subway?
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
Xigz
Hope House Careworker

Post by Xigz »

stopped_clock wrote:We don't hear anyone on the other end because it's unnecessary for us to hear it, at the other times what we hear on the phone is important either for story or for fuckedupness

We know that Harry says that he loves her, what more do we need from that conversation? What exactly are you saying, that Heather is talking but there's nobody on the other end?

And whilst it mightbe the same looking pay phone in the locker, I think that that's more because it's a pay phone and they used the same model for it, weren't the pay phones in the other levels the same too, like in the subway?
I believe the subway's were slightly different.
[b]I'm constant now, and useful too.
I know my eyes cannot see through.[/b]
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

stopped_clock wrote:We don't hear anyone on the other end because it's unnecessary for us to hear it, at the other times what we hear on the phone is important either for story or for fuckedupness

Maybe. When I first saw that cutscene, I found it strange that it seemed like Heather didn't even pay for the call. She just picked up the receiver, dialed some numbers, and then acknowledged that her dad picked up on the other end.

Anyway, you're focusing too much on the call itself. This doesn't change the fact that the red sunset is one of the symbols for Alessa's suffering, and that another "loop" begins exactly when Heather "wakes up" from her nightmare. Obviously, this scene was created to mirror Harry's situation in the original Silent Hill. Harry never left unreality, then, so why would it be any different for Heather?
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
stopped_clock
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by stopped_clock »

But then that begs the question of how is Douglas in unreality with her, although I suppose since this is imposed by Claudia she would have the ability to bring Douglas in.

As for the sunset, that doesn't happen until she leaves the mall, a point at which I think that she is traveling between the real and the unreal, before that, before she enters the bathroom, I still believe that she is in the real world.

Regarding her not paying for the call, I have to admit I never noticed that before, I think I oughta check out the beginning of the game again.
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

I think we don't get to hear the other half of the conversation not because there really isn't anyone there, but rather to keep us in the dark as to who her father really is.

Plus, after watching the scene again, you don't see her pay for the call, or even dial any numbers. But since I think even at this early point Heather would find something really strange about that, I conclude that we're just not treated to that particular mundane activity.
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

stopped_clock wrote:But then that begs the question of how is Douglas in unreality with her, although I suppose since this is imposed by Claudia she would have the ability to bring Douglas in.
Well, Douglas is with Heather after the Split Worm boss battle, so it's not like we never see Douglas in unreality with her.
As for the sunset, that doesn't happen until she leaves the mall, a point at which I think that she is traveling between the real and the unreal, before that, before she enters the bathroom, I still believe that she is in the real world.
Lost Memories specifically talks about the scene in Happy Burger, though.
alone in the town wrote:I think we don't get to hear the other half of the conversation not because there really isn't anyone there, but rather to keep us in the dark as to who her father really is.
That's likely possibility, but then again, having to hear the other end won't really tell us who her father is as long as he doesn't say her name.
Plus, after watching the scene again, you don't see her pay for the call, or even dial any numbers.
I think we see her dial numbers at least. We see her pick up the receiver (camera angle shows phone), then the camera angle shifts so that we see her front side, and she's making motions as if dialing a couple of numbers.

But, I don't know. Being able to speak with Harry through the phone isn't exactly indicative that Heather is in reality at this point, in my opinion.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
Droo

Post by Droo »

I always assumed the payphone in the locker was the same as the one she called Harry on.

I don't like the suggestion that Heather is not in reality in the Happy Burger scene. We see the shadows of passing cars and hear the hum of background conversation/activity. Unreality has never been sunny in the entire series, either. The opening of SH3 seems almost hyper-real to me.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
alone in the town

James exited reality when he entered the bathroom.

Given that there's no way to judge Heather's case for certain, I'm going with the precedent.
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

Droo wrote:I don't like the suggestion that Heather is not in reality in the Happy Burger scene.
I'm sorry that you don't like it. :(
We see the shadows of passing cars and hear the hum of background conversation/activity.
I addressed this issue a few posts back: Silent Hill 4 -The Room-.
Unreality has never been sunny in the entire series, either.
You've been mostly accustomed to the unreality in Silent Hill. At least it looks pretty bright out from Henry's apartment during the day. Besides, your comment would pretty much negate the idea that Heather entered unreality as soon as she entered the restroom. Heather crawls out the window, and it's "sunny" out.
Last edited by Burning Man on 10 May 2009, edited 1 time in total.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
alone in the town

Burning Man wrote:I addressed this issue a few posts back: Silent Hill 4 -The Room-.
His situation may be different. Henry is forcibly prevented from interfacing with the outside world. Heather ostensibly is able to communicate via telephone... something Henry cannot do.

And though Henry sees daylight from his window, when he ventures outside into the nearby locales of Building World, it's dark as night, even when he returns to his apartment to overcast-filtered sunshine.
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

alone in the town wrote:His situation may be different. Henry is forcibly prevented from interfacing with the outside world. Heather ostensibly is able to communicate via telephone... something Henry cannot do.
If I remember correctly, Henry's phone cable is cut, though. So either way, we have no way of knowing.
And though Henry sees daylight from his window, when he ventures outside into the nearby locales of Building World, it's dark as night, even when he returns to his apartment to overcast-filtered sunshine.
I seem to have edited my post before a bit late, but Droo's comment, if true, would completely negate the idea that Heather entered unreality as soon as she entered the restroom. She crawls out the window, and it's pretty "sunny" out.

Droo is incorrect in that case because I believe Heather can still go back outside even after meeting her first monster.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
alone in the town

I don't think the sky's color is important at all. When in the Otherworld, Heather can see out of a window in... a restaurant, I think... and the light from outside still suggests approaching sunset. By the time the Split Worm is dead, the sun has set completely.

We also see afternoon drift into twilight in Silent Hill 2.
Xigz
Hope House Careworker

Post by Xigz »

alone in the town wrote:
We also see afternoon drift into twilight in Silent Hill 2.
We do?
Are you talking about the yellowish filter when walking to the hospital?
Droo

Post by Droo »

I don't believe Heather excited reality when she entered the bathroom. I believe she gradually shifted, and the shift was complete by the time she encountered the Closer.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yeah, and it's the only phone call scene where we don't hear anyone on the other end.
Keep in mind this being before we know that Harry is her father. That's sort of a plot twist.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Hearing his voice would not be indicative of who he is unless Michael G. returned to reprise his role as Harry Mason, an entirely unlikely event.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
alone in the town

Well, if we heard the conversation, it would have to be tailored so that Harry wouldn't call Cheryl by name. He wouldn't call her Heather while engaged in a private phone conversation.

I don't think it's done to mask his identity as much as it is to intentionally trivialize him at this early point. We're to think her father isn't important until we start learning that the Order knows about him, and then that the Order considers him something of an enemy... then, finally... BAM HARRY MASON and the whole world goes OMG.

Or something.
Xigz
Hope House Careworker

Post by Xigz »

alone in the town wrote:Well, if we heard the conversation, it would have to be tailored so that Harry wouldn't call Cheryl by name. He wouldn't call her Heather while engaged in a private phone conversation.

I don't think it's done to mask his identity as much as it is to intentionally trivialize him at this early point. We're to think her father isn't important until we start learning that the Order knows about him, and then that the Order considers him something of an enemy... then, finally... BAM HARRY MASON and the whole world goes OMG.

Or something.
But Harry's identity is reviled during the Vincent cutscene.
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

Droo wrote:I don't believe Heather excited reality when she entered the bathroom. I believe she gradually shifted, and the shift was complete by the time she encountered the Closer.
I talked about this too: I think you can go outside even after defeating the Closer. Unless you want to tell me that the world gradually shifted back to reality when she went outside again. . .
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.