Is Silent Hill 3 the scariest SH?

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

SpaceProg
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SpaceProg »

You know... from my experience with SH3, it seemed the scariest for a good while, but then you sort of get used to the gore and effluvia and it takes on a more psychological feel.
It may sound weird, but I found SH2 to be more constantly creepy than SH3 which doled out its creepiness in bloody bursts.
That's not to say one is better than the other, just I guess I have a differing view of what I consider 'scary'.
defect3d
Just Passing Through

Post by defect3d »

Absolutely not the scariest SH. To be honest, for me it was the most subtle in the SH series.

There was nothing (to me) at the least, 'scary'. 'Scary - Causing fright or alarm'. The psychological presence and overall atmospheric horror was ripped away, and the gamer was left with an empty, frustrating, disaster.

It was seriously lacking a sold story, any it felt as if the creators direction was on the monsters more than the actual story. Bottom line the fear was not present during the making of this game IMO.

I'll be replaying Fatal Frame thank you very much @_@
T[color=purple]here[/color] are no coincidences
There [color=purple]are[/color] no coinc[url=http://www.last.fm/user/bawitback]1d3[/url]nces
There are no co[color=purple]incidences[/color]
Panzer_Kämpfer
Just Passing Through

Post by Panzer_Kämpfer »

I have to agree with Krist. Fatal Frame scared the livingfuckinghell out of me. D:
The ambience of Silent Hill 3 is eerie and many of the props are disgusting. The intensity of the 'in your face' shock factor of switching worlds makes it hard to catch one's breath, but that's really just what I think. For me it was like a really gross, gory film on steroids and with gallons more blood and ick. Once you get that unlimited machine gun, though, it really isn't as frightening.
Sometimes extras can tear the atmosphere to hell and back.
Anyway, just my two cents worth.
I always push the RED button.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

Sometimes extras can tear the atmosphere to hell and back.
that is so true
angelofROOM302
Historical Society Historian

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Hmm, I thought I answered this already.
But I would say no. I only jumped once and I found the monsters to be more cute than disturbing.
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

Silent Hill's not about jump scares, try Resident Evil if you're looking for that in a game. Cute? Lol, that's an interesting way to describe them. I found the monsters to be the most terrifying and original out of all in the series, there was also a larger variety.
SpaceProg
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SpaceProg »

One thing about SH3--and 4 come to think of it--, the sounds the monsters made were recognisable.

Numbbodies: Donkeys.
Closers: Lions.
Slurpers: Slurping liquid up with a straw.

I found the familiarity of the sounds to take away from the scariness of those monsters.

Now the pendulum's cacophony of racket added to my unease and I wanted to get the heck away from them ASAP... or kill them, but usually it's run, because if you don't kill them quick, it just pisses them off and they bodyslam you with their knifeyness.

The breathing of the Nurses, while also familiar, gave them more of a spooky presence because the breathing was too fast to be normal and just... wrong.
Cohen330
Just Passing Through

Post by Cohen330 »

TheRedOne wrote:I found the monsters to be the most terrifying and original out of all in the series, there was also a larger variety.

I made a comment on that in my original post. There did seem to be a larger variety of monsters, and more original ones, to boot, in SH 3. I agree that I also found them more terrifying than in the others, as well. I don't see anything cute about the Insane Cancers :lol:
SpaceProg
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SpaceProg »

I think Insane Cancers fit their name well.

They look like a huge malignant growth that can be dormant and slow, but then suddenly attack and invade, knocking their victims for a loop.
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

I love its death animation, where it deflates. The first time I saw that I was in shock yet I loved the whole concept.

Cohen330, didn't realize you already said that, sorry about that.
crucifix

Post by crucifix »

FanoSays wrote:Most well made? That sounds more like it
"well-made" is also subjective... there's far too many elements in the games (plot, graphics, character design, monster design, voice acting, etc.) to simply lump together and collectively call "well-made".

SpaceProg wrote:Closers: Lions.
rhinoceros, actually.
no longer active. thanks for the memories.
SpaceProg
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SpaceProg »

Really? I could have sworn the noise made by the Closers was of a lion's bellow. Kind of a deep "aaaooouuurrh" Of course I could also be getting it confused with a specific sound you hear in an empty room surrounded by fencing, because I remember thinking "Huh, must be a closer somewhere." Never saw one.
nowhere
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by nowhere »

I think first one is scariest to me... Scariest may be wrong word.. First game cause sometimes little panic... So much enemies and i run in panic away...
http://p2.foorumi.info/silenthillsuomi/index.php

silent hill forum in finland
BlackFire

Post by BlackFire »

"Scary" can mean a lot of different things. SH3 is definitely the frekiest and most frightening, but I don't know about scariest.
SHACKled89451
Gravedigger

Post by SHACKled89451 »

defect3d wrote:Absolutely not the scariest SH. To be honest, for me it was the most subtle in the SH series.

There was nothing (to me) at the least, 'scary'. 'Scary - Causing fright or alarm'. The psychological presence and overall atmospheric horror was ripped away, and the gamer was left with an empty, frustrating, disaster.

It was seriously lacking a sold story, any it felt as if the creators direction was on the monsters more than the actual story. Bottom line the fear was not present during the making of this game IMO.

I'll be replaying Fatal Frame thank you very much @_@
The most subtle? I think you may want to look up the word subtle in the dictionary my friend.... SH3 was the BY FAR the least subtle of the series, in fact it was the one title where monsters and tight quarters fighting was thrust upon the player very generously.
revalations 23:16
angelofROOM302

Post by angelofROOM302 »

Silent Hill's not about jump scares, try Resident Evil if you're looking for that in a game. Cute? Lol, that's an interesting way to describe them. I found the monsters to be the most terrifying and original out of all in the series, there was also a larger variety.
It's not, but all of the other game have left huge scary impact on me. This one was just blah. The carnival area did scare me though.
And like, yeah they were totally cute! Especially the cancers that just deflate once you kill them. Cute!
TheRedOne

Post by TheRedOne »

You're one twisted individual. :wink:
SHACKled89451
Gravedigger

Post by SHACKled89451 »

BlackFire wrote:"Scary" can mean a lot of different things. SH3 is definitely the frekiest and most frightening, but I don't know about scariest.
Yes, "scary" can mean a lot of things... Including "freaky" and "frightening" Your just using different words for "scary" and pretending they have a completley seperate meaning..

I think intense, unrelenting, maybe disturbing are pretty good ways to describe SH3.
revalations 23:16
Orestes
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Orestes »

Scariest for me so far is probably The Room. I was playing and my friend was watching and I got to the second go around of Forest World. Walter appeared in one of the corners of the map so I went "no biggie, I'll go through a door and lose him". About 20 seconds later, there's the sound of a door opening and closing, Walter's evil laugh, and a chainsaw revving. Never have I been so scared at a SH game.
In Silent Hill, the party finds you
The Kinda Mad
Just Passing Through

Post by The Kinda Mad »

SH3 is my favorite in the series, but with that said it disturbed me more than it 'scared' me.
"And off went Travis down the dark hallway, in his Bass Pro Jacket and his old trucker hat!" - A Silent Hill Christmas