Is silent hill 3 the worst game in the series?

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

z0mboid
Just Passing Through

Post by z0mboid »

3 was my favourite, actually :] I hated 2. So many people would beat me up for saying that but honestly I didn't like 2 at all. James just bugged me and Maria was an ugly version of cameron diaz Dx and I didn't like the gameplay much at all.

1, 3, and 4 <3
[center][img]http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g234/rave_me/banner2.jpg[/img][/center]
The Procrastinator
Just Passing Through

Post by The Procrastinator »

Definitely not the worst. Story-wise, yeah, but The Room saves it from receiving that (dis)honour.
What I loved about SH3 were the Office building and Brookhaven. Those felt like Silent Hill. The music was actually very eerie in the hospital, and not just frustrating like in most of the game.
We entered Winter once again
Naked, freezing from my breath
Neath the lid all limbs tucked away
This coffin is your abode from now
and onwards
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

I can't believe the people still talking shit about SH4, I respect that you don't like it, I really don't care that cause I love it... But you can't say that SH4 han't anything to do with the other games; SH4 is a sequel to 2, in 2 we find info abput Walter Sullivan, maybe the prison of Walter Sullivan and the tombstone of Walter Sullivan (I really thought that I was to fight him), we also find the rachel nurse in the letter of laura and obviusly james...

in SH4 we find Frank who is the father of James, Henry says that his son went to Sileht Hill and never returned so this proves that is a sequel, you live in the same apartment that the nurse Rachel who treated laura and Mary and you finally fight Walter Sullivan... All this game talks about the Order, its customs and how they work with the porr children... The most interesting abpout SH4 is how you realize that the real starring of the gam,e is Walter instead Henry, you are watching the human power of the Order and how the town can affect even people that isj't there... The only bad thing about 4 was the lack of darnkess, riddles and bosses...

SH3 is in the same level that 4 for me cause each one has that the other lacks... I mean, henry doesn't talk anything and heather just can't shut up...I was dissapointed that they used the same streets of SH2 and even the Brookhaven hospital cause it hans't anything to do with the story, Heather should be in Alchemilla but is late for complain... leonartd is a stupid character, the wors in all the games cause is so plain, he sounds like the villain of an anime serie; I was expecting a great Nowhere but SH1 still being the king in the final level... The most I was dissapointed is that you just have 2 endings, 3 with the bonus ending against the 5 enfings in 1,6 endings in 2 and 4 endings in 4 (No bonus ending is a bad point for SH4)... The real good thing about 3 was the visuals, music and riddles; I din'¿t liked the gameplay cause is hard to fight with melee weapons in this game, except for the mall and the subway I had to use a gun all the time... This game also has the less amount of charceters, only 4 of them counting the starring, I don't count Leonard cause as I already said is really stupid.
The Procrastinator
Just Passing Through

Silent Hill 4 is not the sequel to SH2. Yes, it does have numerous references to it, but keep in mind: they had to base the plot off something to establish a correlation between it and the rest of the series.
I, for one, wasn't talking shit about SH4. I simply expressed my opinion about it -- don't see why this is a problem. Same goes for the others, I suppose. Forums are about sharing opinions -- no need to get upset.
In fact, I think it had an excellent plot, but the gameplay and atmosphere are what irk me about it, and a good plot alone doesn't quite make up for it's other shortcomings. Like you mentioned, the lack of darkness was greatly responsible for the lack of atmosphere. There are other things that displease me about it, but I fear that I'm straying from the topic ...
SH3 is in the same level that 4 for me cause each one has that the other lacks...
I also agree on this. I felt that, unlike SH4, SH3 had a very dissapointing story/plot. You could almost call it a Silent Hill (original) spin-off. In my opinion.
But I felt that gameplay and atmosphere are slightly superior in SH3.
Both games have their flaws, but both are still excellent.[/quote]
and onwards
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

The Procrastinator wrote: I felt that, unlike SH4, SH3 had a very dissapointing story/plot. You could almost call it a Silent Hill (original) spin-off. In my opinion.]
Well yes, SH3 is really a sequel/continuation of SH1. Of course it has characters and plot elements in common.
SH1's ending was really more of a new beginning than an ending. So I think it's great that the story was continued.
The Procrastinator
Just Passing Through

Yes, it was a sequel to the original, but I don't see why a sequel couldn't have a good story of it's own.
They built on the original's story, yes, but they really could have done a better job.
That's all I'm saying.
and onwards
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

I just wanted more characters, more endings, more exploration of a new area of Silent Hill that weren't ripped from SH 2 (This annoyed me so much) and a way for save Harry...

In 4 I just wanted more darkness for the seciond time in every world... also an UFO ending...
benjy2000
Just Passing Through

Post by benjy2000 »

silent hill 1 was good because it was scary some of the monsters were faster then you
silent hill 2 was good for it's story but it was less scary
silent hill 3 was good because of it's amazing graphics
silent hill 4 was good because it was scary but the changes team silent made weren't good
BOB
The Procrastinator
Just Passing Through

silent hill 1 was good because it was scary some of the monsters were faster then you
silent hill 2 was good for it's story but it was less scary
silent hill 3 was good because of it's amazing graphics
silent hill 4 was good because it was scary but the changes team silent made weren't good
Way to summarize, benji.

But read the thread's name.

P.S.

SH1 was good because I say so.
SH2 was good because I say so.
SH3 is not the worst because SH4 is.
and onwards
Girl Interrupted
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Girl Interrupted »

Wow, I'm kind of surprised to hear that some people would feel that negative towards Silent Hill 3 (not that I'm saying you're wrong or anything, to each their own).
After giving it some thought, I personally love all the games for their own unique qualities. Though the fact that I did play Silent Hill 3 before any of the other games, makes me appreciate it slightly more than the others in the series. I loved the Heather character, and being able to relate with her and her personality made me more determined to understand what was going on and beat the game.
Anyways to quickly give my answer to this thread's question, no SH3 is not the worst game of the series. That level of quality is non existent… so far.
Maverick
Just Passing Through

Post by Maverick »

It's not the worst, I would say SH4 is the worst of them all compared side by side.
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

SH4's just different and I think that's what sets most people off about it. I, personally, love SH4, it may be my favorite of them, in fact, and the only downside as far as I'm concerned is that the ghosts don't stay down long enough, usually. SH3 is incredibly linear with limited exploration and... I don't really know as far as worst goes. Ambiance and level design wise, I think I really appreciate SH3, but the story was definitely hollow in some places...
Book of Memories ID: five5sixers
Maverick
Just Passing Through

Post by Maverick »

SH3 had one of the best Silent Hill envoirments to me, it was creepy enough to get me hooked. The story was not all there, but the SH3 world was enough to keep me on the edge of my seat.
Rhenislauss
Just Passing Through

Post by Rhenislauss »

SH3 was the scariest in my opinion. so its one of my favs. loved it, story was good, I love sacreligious statements and its full of em.
Hugs have no affect on me...do your worst.
The Procrastinator
Just Passing Through

SH3 was the scariest in my opinion. so its one of my favs. loved it, story was good, I love sacreligious statements and its full of em.
What was so good about the story?
SH3 is practically a spin-off of the original -- and, yes, I know it's a sequel, but sequels can have a good plot of their own. This one did not, in my opinion.

The plot (or rather lack thereof) was the game's greatest flaw.

During the first half of the game, your mission was to get home; during the second half, it was revenge.
That's all there is to it, really.
There was nothing to draw you in, to immerse you.
and onwards
phantomess
Moderator & Cult Member
Moderator & Cult Member

Post by phantomess »

The Procrastinator wrote: During the first half of the game, your mission was to get home; during the second half, it was revenge.
That's all there is to it, really.
There was nothing to draw you in, to immerse you.
Well, in the first game, your mission was simply to find Harry's daughter. In the second, it was to find James' wife. In the fourth, at least for a while, it's just to get out of Henry's apartment. All build from pretty simple missions. Trying to get home amidst frightening and strange happenings, and seeking revenge for what happened, if that's all you want to look at in SH3, still seems like a fine basic mission/plot to me among the rest of the series, although that's not exactly all there is to SH3. As for there being nothing to draw you in or immerse you in the game, I guess that really depends on the player.
KageReneko
Subway Guard

Post by KageReneko »

Would be interesting can be new monsters or at leastf more powerful versions of the monsters in the second half of the game... I mean Silent Hill can turn the inner feelings of its tourists in a reality but Heather arrives there with a deep sense of hatred seeking revenge for his dad and guilt for know that she indirectly was responsible... The town could make wonders with such strong negative feelings... But no... we still facing the same subtle creatures from when Heather didn't know or feel anything...
The Procrastinator
Just Passing Through

Well, in the first game, your mission was simply to find Harry's daughter. In the second, it was to find James' wife. In the fourth, at least for a while, it's just to get out of Henry's apartment. All build from pretty simple missions. Trying to get home amidst frightening and strange happenings, and seeking revenge for what happened, if that's all you want to look at in SH3, still seems like a fine basic mission/plot to me among the rest of the series, although that's not exactly all there is to SH3. As for there being nothing to draw you in or immerse you in the game, I guess that really depends on the player.
What I meant to say, put simply:
Even though all of the other games seemingly have rather simple "missions" at first, as you play, you find that there's far more to the story/plot than at first glance.
To me, it felt like SH3 never really went very far beyond the basic mission.

As for the immersion factor -- it depends on how you feel about the plot/story/mission.
And I just said how I feel about it.
and onwards
crimson illusion
Just Passing Through

Post by crimson illusion »

silent hill 3 is NOT the worst in the series! :shock:

it had a lot of great stuff in it, like:

connections with silent hill 1
excellent atmosphere
you play as Harrys daughter
good variety of monsters
almost all the places were really sick and cool

Even the Replay value was really high, you get to
unlock alot of stuff for heather including tons of clothes
and cool weapons, even the HILARIOUSLY funny UFO
Ending connected to the UFO endings from the other
games (SH1, SH2). That was the funniest UFO Ending ever. :lol:

Oh well, i had alot of fun with it :wink:
AzureDemon
Just Passing Through

Post by AzureDemon »

KageReneko wrote:Would be interesting can be new monsters or at leastf more powerful versions of the monsters in the second half of the game... I mean Silent Hill can turn the inner feelings of its tourists in a reality but Heather arrives there with a deep sense of hatred seeking revenge for his dad and guilt for know that she indirectly was responsible... The town could make wonders with such strong negative feelings... But no... we still facing the same subtle creatures from when Heather didn't know or feel anything...
If anything...I was expecting the monsters to be weaker...what with such an strong feeling as Hatred is she should be able to smash the monsters with ease. Hell! In the possessed ending she kicked "God"'s head after killing it!

Back on topic, I feel SH3 is just good. Not spectacular..just good.

I also love SH4 and 2...but for some od reason that I just can't understand...I HATE SH1...maybe because I was 10 when I first played it and it scared me...who knows.