Is silent hill 3 the worst game in the series?

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

Phobia
Just Passing Through

Post by Phobia »

I can't believe this is even a debate amongst Silent-Hill residents :!:

I can tell you this. Anyone who says SH-X(x=game in series you hate) is lame would be
because their opinion(s) is(are) most likely purely based upon the game-play and/or the graphics.

None of the games in the series lack in story AT ALL. They are each unique stories with interesting plot twists. Even the way the stories are presented and the way the endings are revealed are pretty amazing(in ALL of them but specifically Sh1 and Sh2). In fact if you pay enough attention to the story, in any of the games in the series, you would find that some of them get ALMOST as deep as the rabbit hole in the Matrix(Metaphorically speaking here). I'm Mostly referring to the story line that is connected on SH1 to SH3, and supposedly to SH-Origins as well (which is why I find it weird they are most often the ones that a lot of people seem to overlook and simply pass off as lame). SH2 just happens to have a story that's easier to follow...less...'cryptic'...for lack of better word. Though SH2 has a crazy mind-tripping twist, the story doesn't get as deep IMO. This is being said while I don't even entirely understand the storyline behind 1, 3, and origins(still even looking into SH2's story). Seriously though, if you pay attention to all of them, none of them are "lame". With or without respect to Team Silent. But, if anyone begs to differ, I won't say you're wrong. As it is only an opinion...just not a very justified one if you ask me...but who am I be the judge of that.
I'm just passing through! ;)

...But perhaps you just didn't look far enough into the story :roll: ?
I don't blame you though, because I'm still trying to climb out of the hole, and plus the rabbit
is really starting to creep me out!

I guess it really depends on what you're ratings toward the game(s) are based on...truly though the story in every game has made up for something I didn't like about that particular game in
the series. I seriously haven't found any SH game to disappoint me at all. I can only hope that
5 and origins don't kill my happy streak.

I admit that at first I thought the movie was a major disappointment...until I realized where they were going with the story. I then appreciated the movie as a whole the second time seeing it.
unreadphilosophy
Historical Society Historian

Post by unreadphilosophy »

I strongly disagree. Silent Hill 3 was one the most important games in the series. It gave more insight into the Town and it's past, helped us understand "The Order" better and what they truly wanted, it gave us more info about Alessia, and showed us how important Harry Manson's adventure into the Town was to the story.
demollyon
Just Passing Through

Post by demollyon »

Yeah, it's my least favorite. It's not as frightening as the others.
There was a sig here. It's gone now.
Chloe Smith
Just Passing Through

Post by Chloe Smith »

Silent Hill 3 took awhile to get into the action, but nonetheless payed off when you did. I liked fighting the monsters and all, but the story was the only real secure done deal for me.
[size=75][i]You’re a rock star everybody wants you, Player… who can really blame you?[/i][/size]
KeysofDeath
Just Passing Through

Post by KeysofDeath »

SH4 is the worst game in my opinion it doesn't even deserved to be called a Silent Hill game. At least the other games are set or have relative in Silent Hill
Travelng at the Speed of Dark
Chloe Smith
Just Passing Through

Post by Chloe Smith »

Hmph. Resident Evil 4 had NOTHING to do with Raccoon City and yet is known to be the best game in the genre. A trilogy doesn't need to be in the the same setting each and every game.
[size=75][i]You’re a rock star everybody wants you, Player… who can really blame you?[/i][/size]
The one always despised
Just Passing Through

Post by The one always despised »

Very true, I found the twist quite refreshing. Lets you know the otherworld can be anywhere.
HeresJohnny
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by HeresJohnny »

Each game introduces a new main character and that is one of my favorite things about the games, that way each time you play it is always from a different perspective. SH3 was cool. To me there really is no "worst game" yet.
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Post by Mis Krist. »

Chloe Smith wrote:Hmph. Resident Evil 4 had NOTHING to do with Raccoon City and yet is known to be the best game in the genre. A trilogy doesn't need to be in the the same setting each and every game.
But RE4 DID have ties with Umbrella and a staple of the series: flesh-eating, vapid fiends.

Resident Evil isn't called Raccoon City, ergo there's no problem if it doesn't take place in the game as long as it maintains the same elements. SH3 proved a very slight deviation from some of SH's "staple" elements, but not enough to be drastic or really noticeable.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
Rudolf_Steiner
Just Passing Through

Post by Rudolf_Steiner »

it was definitely one of my favourites, and takes a toll on you psychologically on you aswell. I know, I know, silent hill 2 is usually branded as one that makes you think more about what's up, what's down, etc, but think about sh3 a little bit harder, and its a bit draining mentally.

I remember the scene that hit me the hardest was when vincent confronts heather about those 'monsters.' it made me actually question my ethics, making me think 'am I really doing what's right?'

yeah...so I diasagree, silent hill 3 is definitely not the worst...I give that title to the arcade.
bring more knives
Just Passing Through

Post by bring more knives »

well, you would think this if:

you haven't played silent hill 4.
you only played 3 and silent hill 4.

no, this isn't fact. i'm just being opinionated.
(taking me seriously leads to many health problems)
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Silent-spc-Hill.png[/img][/url]
doom_death
Just Passing Through

Post by doom_death »

Silent Hill 1 is absolutely the best in series...no, It's not nostalgia, but it is the scariest game ever made...the school part always scars the shit out of me...it is so much creepier then the rest of the series...then...hm..storywise, Silent Hill 2, but other than that, Silent Hill 3 is second, because, everything else is better, it is scarier, it has better graphics, better music...than Silent Hill 2, and then Silent Hill 4...it is a great game, but it is the weakest link in series...and really, it's not scary at all...no flashlight stuff,you don't have to search for map( it is a lot scarier when you are somewhere without the map,and you must first find it), it has the worst visuals( didn't count SH1 here ), but well, soundtrack is the best for me here 8)
I see no point of living the life I lead
It hurts me too much.
Can you feel what I feel?
seal_of_metatron
Just Passing Through

Post by seal_of_metatron »

The one always despised wrote:Very true, I found the twist quite refreshing. Lets you know the otherworld can be anywhere.
not to get too far off topic, but if the otherworld can be anywhere, why is the series called "silent hill"?
back on topic, while it does have a slightly less developed story, 3 is also basically just the conclusion to 1, so most of the story's been told already. gameplay-wise, as long as 3 has a samurai sword, mace, unlimited machine gun and horribly deformed creatures, and 4 has 2 bullets that work, weapons that break, and punk-bitch ghosts that attack you through the walls, there will never be any contest as to the worst game in the series.
there's not too many kids, just the wrong people having them
pyramid8mydog
Just Passing Through

Post by pyramid8mydog »

SH2 is only the greatest because of the storyline and the complexity of the main character and though we all love Ph now at first he seemed kinda stupid didnt he?.I found 3 to have the best gameplay, the atmosphere was great with all the little touches throughout the game such as mirror in the store room, Haunted mansion ,Valtiel etc. Heathers quips when you examined things where quite humoruos and made me laugh a number of times amidst the fear. I originally despised the room but after the reading posts in sh4 section in relation to the story i went back and played it again and i really like it now, I cant rank them though i enjoyed all of them. We also gained closure as to what happens to harry.

(btw speaking of RE im dassapointed that re5 it seems exactly like re4 but with black people. I just wanna see old fashioned flesh eating zombies make a comback not just crazy people attacking you. so they'r infected with the plagos they dont have that 'undead" quality)
Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more
Nillin
Hope House Careworker

Post by Nillin »

I think it's the worst. It didn't really add anything.

And don't tell me that, "It added more stuff about cultz!" because that's not cutting it. 3 is the only Silent Hill so far (besides Origins, but that has new pieces of the town, so it's OK) that hasn't actually added new areas, gameplay elements, or really did anything to extend the storyline.

We know the cult wants to birth god. How about we do it in a new way, now?

Or we could toss out the cult and just have SH2/SH5(?) type storylines, I'd be fine with that.
I once was lost, but am now profound.
Nickq2007

Post by Nickq2007 »

Hmm, it's not my least favorite, then again I don't think I HAVE a least favorite really, I think each of the games are brilliant. The first is still my favorite of the series, I like three and four pretty equally, and the second is also great. I'm just basing this on story wise, I was always more interested in the cult aspect of the story more, but that's not to say SH2 isn't brilliant, because, it's still an amazing game.
spunkytexan
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by spunkytexan »

In my personal opinion, absolutely not the worst. SH4 is the worst of the bunch and it still is a damn sight better then any other horror/action game outside the Silent Hill series.
Now the dream of this life must end, and so, too, must the dreamers within it.
AgentX7k
Hope House Careworker

Post by AgentX7k »

God No! it's much better than SH4 and Origins. And IMO it's better than SH2.
"The Body Is Cold?"
Austinreihl
Just Passing Through

Post by Austinreihl »

Simple answer: No, Silent Hill 4 is.

Silent Hill 3 did take some time to get used to the vibe, however. I don't know if it was just for me or if everyone experienced that. It's just a lot different from the first two games. Not a bad thing, but I wouldn't call it true to the series, considering SH1 and 2 are, in my eyes, how Silent Hill should be remembered. Just my opinion though.
valiturus

Post by valiturus »

The worst? You're...kidding...right? Silent Hill 4 anyone?