Is silent hill 3 the worst game in the series?

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

LanceS133
Historical Society Historian

Post by LanceS133 »

I'm having a hard time wanting to play this game again. I play them all in order and I've reached 3 and Idk if it's starting the game that's making it hard or if it's the scariest/darkest out of the series (imo)....or the fact that it froze on a load screen during the mall and I never saved. Come to think of it, for some reason I just don't enjoy playing this game, idky.
"That town. That God forsaken town. It just, keeps, calling me back..."
AzureDemon
Just Passing Through

Post by AzureDemon »

Well...some of those reasons are why I always skip silent hill 1...I don't know why but I just plain don't like it.
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

i like all the games why do we have to hate some of them i mean come on they all have their strong points, but i dunno about 5 looks to much like the movie
emptimass
Subway Guard

Post by emptimass »

^ I agree. You people need to quit eating Hater-tots and drinking hater-aid!!!

SH3 was a great addition and potential conclusion to the story of Alessa. It was
a wonderful game that rarely fell short. The story was compelling and the characters fit well into the storyline with great senses of purpose.
Last edited by emptimass on 28 Mar 2008, edited 1 time in total.
"No more soul to sell, 31 years and on my way to Hell".
Zogzor
Just Passing Through

Post by Zogzor »

^ Heh... hater-tots...hater-aid. Lulz. Anyways, I liked SH3, it may not be my favorite but it's certainly not the worst. That title goes to SH4.

It's only my opinion, though. Don't castrate me plox. :lol:
SHSharpshooter
Just Passing Through

Post by SHSharpshooter »

Hmm, I have really only played three games in the series, SH2/SH3 and SH0.

Out of those, SH3 is probably my least favorite. Until it got to Silent Hill, I was actually kind of listless. I also found a certain plot point to be rather depressing.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Harry being dead.
[img]http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/5676/shimsigms0.jpg[/img]
[i]"What is THIS? What are these...things! Why won't you leave me alone?!"[/i]
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

it wasn't that bad. It did get me on the edge of my seat for the most part. As for the plot, i agree with you there, there was really no dept to it, everything was drawn out for you right to the very end. No time to really explore or think for yourself why this was happening.
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
Caine
Just Passing Through

Post by Caine »

First, hello to all users here on this forum, i hope i'm right at this special place for this special game which is haunting me since the first title was released !
this whole series is so special to me that i cannot get it out of my mind...

i didnt play through origins and SH4 through yet, am playing SH4 right now but didnt want to rush the games but fully explore, enjoy them.

and i have to say that i was/am really afraid that what i played so far (SH1-3) that 3 is the weakest from the first games, it's because of these points as i remember correctly:

- the level design was good but it didnt fit together so well, too much chaotic, i know silent hill is also not normal but it still had a believable level design
- some monsters (i name them by this for this forums) were really bad, i dunno the name anymore but they were on the floor and attacking you all the time you couldnt really hurt them so well
- the storyline wasnt really my taste, it felt rushed, they tried to solve a few riddles which i think shouldnt be the goal because i want to make my own mind about most stuff, i didnt have really a feeling that it's the true sequel to SH1...
- i didnt enjoy it so well of playing through it over and over, didnt see all endings because gameplaywise it really is a step backwards

it'S the weakest silent hill but still a great game/experience overall, the music, graphics (which are a bonus, graphics dont make a game), story (still !) and so on is something special which many games dont have.
hope with SH4 i will have more joy/disturbance again.
Rule of Rose
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Rule of Rose »

Caine wrote:First, hello to all users here on this forum, i hope i'm right at this special place for this special game which is haunting me since the first title was released !

i didnt play through origins and SH4 through yet, am playing SH4 right now but didnt want to rush the games but fully explore, enjoy them.

and i have to say that i was/am really afraid that what i played so far (SH1-3) that 3 is the weakest from the first games, it's because of these points as i remember correctly:

- the level design was good but it didnt fit together so well, too much chaotic, i know silent hill is also not normal but it still had a believable level design
- some monsters (i name them by this for this forums) were really bad, i dunno the name anymore but they were on the floor and attacking you all the time you couldnt really hurt them so well
- the storyline wasnt really my taste, it felt rushed, they tried to solve a few riddles which i think shouldnt be the goal because i want to make my own mind about most stuff, i didnt have really a feeling that it's the true sequel to SH1...
- i didnt enjoy it so well of playing through it over and over, didnt see all endings because gameplaywise it really is a step backwards

it'S the weakest silent hill but still a great game/experience overall, the music, graphics (which are a bonus, graphics dont make a game), story (still !) and so on is something special which many games dont have.

You thought this game (SH3) was weak........hahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just WAIT till you finish SH4....... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
She said her blood turns to ash
Burning eyes can't forgive you
Howling moon drives on
And deep in me
Your illusion
What you see in me
Caine
Just Passing Through

Post by Caine »

silenthillwhore wrote:
Caine wrote:First, hello to all users here on this forum, i hope i'm right at this special place for this special game which is haunting me since the first title was released !

You thought this game (SH3) was weak........hahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just WAIT till you finish SH4....... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
hehe, yeah it's not bad at all only the weakest SH i played so far, and yeah you are right i will have another optionen perhaps when i played through SH4 which seems to be kinda strange...
Mister_Creazil
Gravedigger

Post by Mister_Creazil »

Silent Hill 3 will NEVER be the worst in the series. Come on, how can Silent Hill 4: The Room come above Silent Hill 3?
shinkeidei
Just Passing Through

Post by shinkeidei »

I totally differ from you guys I don't think neither is the weakest
"Hello darkness my old friend"
Lostkitsune
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Lostkitsune »

I don't think any particular game is the worst since they all have their own stories and method of scaring but anyway Silent Hill 3 is one of the best in my opinion. It has a wonderful soundtrack and weapon selection and the enemies freaked me out a bit more than Silent Hill 2's. Not to mention Heather Mason is my favorite SH protagonist.
Whoomp
Gravedigger

Post by Whoomp »

Mister_Creazil wrote:Silent Hill 3 will NEVER be the worst in the series. Come on, how can Silent Hill 4: The Room come above Silent Hill 3?
I agree. However, with that said The Room is not a bad game.
Xigz
Hope House Careworker

Post by Xigz »

I loved Silent Hill 3. I found it amazing.

I personally think Origins is the weakest link, and it really wasn't a bad game.
[b]I'm constant now, and useful too.
I know my eyes cannot see through.[/b]
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

Mister_Creazil wrote:Silent Hill 3 will NEVER be the worst in the series. Come on, how can Silent Hill 4: The Room come above Silent Hill 3?
It doesn't. I like to put SH4 in another aspect of the matter, it being (together with SH2) a stand-alone in the series. Therefor I won't compare SH2 and SH4 directly with SH1, SH3 and SH0.

What drives me nuts are people saying "teh room waz so boring an strange!!1". Yeah, strange is the word. Truth is, SH4 is not a game for easyminded people. It's a incomparable and peerless story, unfortunately cannot everyone perceive the beauty in it.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
Devilsknight
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Devilsknight »

We can bullshit all we want, but if "Silent Hill 4 The Room" was infact called " Secret Tunnels : Nightmare " not many would buy it nore finish it.
People say referances to previous SH games in SHV:H are cheezy ... Well isn't it xactly what they did in SH4 ? Walter ? Sunderland ? Come on people. All thoose things could have been changed out whitout any major storychanges.
When I grow up I want to be Mockingbird.
abrasive
Just Passing Through

Post by abrasive »

It's plot relies mostly on exposition, so while the whole cult thing is very rich in detail, the actual events taking place over the course of the game seem few and far between. I understand why people say this is the weakest story in the series.

Despite that, as far as just being a game goes, I consider Silent Hill 3 to be the peak of the series. The gameplay elements all are logical updates from Silent Hill 1 and 2, which is how I think game sequels should be. Silent Hill 1 sets a template, which Silent Hill 2 closely follows, and Silent Hill 3 pleasantly improves upon. The combat, menu layout, realism, etc., were all the strongest in that game. It's the most fun to just plain play, in my opinion. The Room is a whole different story since it recreates the game engine, and Origins is just plain clunky to me. Third times the charm, I guess.

The game relies heavily on nostalgia, and I really enjoyed exploring areas from the previous games, returning characters, etc. I don't think it should repeat this way throughout the series, but it worked well with this game. In it's art style, it's basically Silent Hill 1 with much much better graphics and production values, which pleased me.

Also I found Heather's commentary on...everything to be endlessly interesting. I love hearing characters say stuff in games while examining things, and Heather does that more than any game character I've ever seen. James and Harry usually just went "There's a picture here. It's not useful.", but Heather will give her cynical opinion on this said picture and explain why won't win an award for originality and technique. This added a whole hell of a lot to the game and made her a much more interesting (if not likable) character to me.
SilentMadness
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by SilentMadness »

Also I found Heather's commentary on...everything to be endlessly interesting. I love hearing characters say stuff in games while examining things, and Heather does that more than any game character I've ever seen. James and Harry usually just went "There's a picture here. It's not useful.", but Heather will give her cynical opinion on this said picture and explain why won't win an award for originality and technique. This added a whole hell of a lot to the game and made her a much more interesting (if not likable) character to me.
yeah, I liked that part too. She has a matter of opinion and she wants to state it, what's so bad about that?
Also, as you said, her personality, is absolutly spot on. There is no guess work on what se likes or dislikes or what her ideas are (unlike Henry... AHEM :| )
and that is what I like about the character developement.
"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty...IT'S ALL THE SAME ONCE YOU'RE DEAD!"--Eddie Dombrowski
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
words to live by
abrasive
Just Passing Through

Post by abrasive »

SilentMadness wrote: yeah, I liked that part too. She has a matter of opinion and she wants to state it, what's so bad about that?
Also, as you said, her personality, is absolutly spot on. There is no guess work on what se likes or dislikes or what her ideas are (unlike Henry... AHEM :| )
and that is what I like about the character developement.
Yeah, although I will say Henry is actually my favorite character in the series - although for completely different reasons, hell, the opposite reasons, as Heather. I couldn't help but feel Team Silent took a step backwards when they returned to the more vague character commentary in Silent Hill 4, although it did fit Henry's laconic nature. In the case of Heather, having her speak her mind a lot (to herself and you, the gamer) really helps give you the sense that that despite all the relations to the cult she's a real, normal person; making the drama centered around her life all the more horrific and involving.