Why Did The Government Not Do Anything?

Heather finds out why it's true that you shouldn't talk to strangers. Or look in mirrors, quite honestly.

Moderator: Moderators

ParanoidZombie
Just Passing Through

Why Did The Government Not Do Anything?

Post by ParanoidZombie »

in silent hill 3 Douglas saya that its one messed up place, implying he saw monsters there. so why didnt the Army or FBI investigate? i mean if you lost contact with a town you would investigate wouldnt you?

i mean the monsters have to exist in normal reality too! in silent hill 2 the Straightjackets exist before the Shift Dont They?
Come On You Clones! You Wanna Live Forever?
Jetsetlemming
Gravedigger

Post by Jetsetlemming »

No. All the real world of Silent Hill has is creepy fog, a secretive cult that nobody outside the town knows is a cult (they go by "Silent Hill Smile Society" in at least one of their publics acts), and a few random people here and there going missing. Possibly paranormal behavior like ghosts and stuff. Douglas isn't the only person who tells of Silent Hill being a creepy place, Lisa in Silent Hill 1 and Henry in Silent Hill 4 both say that there are rumors in the town of strange stuff happening when the fog comes out.
However, there are no rusted metal streets or giant missing gaps in the pavement in the real world. No monsters. All of the Silent Hill games take place in the Otherworld, an alternate dimension that tints itself by the occupant's minds.
It’s being invaded by the Otherworld. By a world of someone’s
nightmarish delusions come to life.
-Harry Mason
SteffenRye
Just Passing Through

Post by SteffenRye »

Im not completely sure thats what Douglas meant wtih " thats one messed up place". I believe he meant more to the rumours of burning children and cults and so on. But hey.. whada i know?'

Just aponion.

Ive always thought that there was Otherworld, by that i mean. A reality and hell, but when it comes to SH1, Harry was in Otherworld ALL the time, so was James. Its only with heather you get to see the shift, maybe cause she is somehow fighting it with Godly powers?

And when it comes to goverment, They shut the town down. Why would they go there again?, Even if some person actually DID make it out of SH. Do you really think they would believe her/him? And maybe if they even did go there, it might of stayed as normal instead of Otherworld. Maybe otherworld only shifts for people with mental problems, thou that would go against me theory with Harry.. Not completely sure.
ParanoidZombie
Just Passing Through

Post by ParanoidZombie »

then is there two otherworlds? foggy and rusty?
Come On You Clones! You Wanna Live Forever?
Jetsetlemming
Gravedigger

Post by Jetsetlemming »

ParanoidZombie wrote:then is there two otherworlds? foggy and rusty?
The otherworld shifts in form. It's never static: It changes from person to person and it changes over time. Because the Otherworld's form is based off the mind of some key person, that person's mind can cause the Otherworld to change again. That's essentially what's happening when the Otherworld goes dark.
Note that the themes and darkness and monsters and whatnot are not a staple feature of the Otherworld. For some people, as we find out in Brookhaven hospital in SH2, enjoy what they see there, and find it a good place.
The town of Silent Hill was never shut down, destroyed, or abandoned.
The only times we ever see the real world in the silent hill games are the intro movie of SH1, the endings of SH3 and 4, and through Henry's windows and peep hole early on in SH4.
It’s being invaded by the Otherworld. By a world of someone’s
nightmarish delusions come to life.
-Harry Mason
SteffenRye
Just Passing Through

Post by SteffenRye »

Jetsetlemming wrote:
ParanoidZombie wrote:then is there two otherworlds? foggy and rusty?
The otherworld shifts in form. It's never static: It changes from person to person and it changes over time. Because the Otherworld's form is based off the mind of some key person, that person's mind can cause the Otherworld to change again. That's essentially what's happening when the Otherworld goes dark.
Note that the themes and darkness and monsters and whatnot are not a staple feature of the Otherworld. For some people, as we find out in Brookhaven hospital in SH2, enjoy what they see there, and find it a good place.
The town of Silent Hill was never shut down, destroyed, or abandoned.
The only times we ever see the real world in the silent hill games are the intro movie of SH1, the endings of SH3 and 4, and through Henry's windows and peep hole early on in SH4.
I agree with you, its just something about what your saying doesnt seem right. Not sure what it is, hmmmm
Mis Krist.
Historical Society Historian

Re: Why Did The Government Not Do Anything?

Post by Mis Krist. »

ParanoidZombie wrote:in silent hill 3 Douglas saya that its one messed up place, implying he saw monsters there. so why didnt the Army or FBI investigate? i mean if you lost contact with a town you would investigate wouldnt you?

i mean the monsters have to exist in normal reality too! in silent hill 2 the Straightjackets exist before the Shift Dont They?
The monsters don't exist in the normal reality.

If you take Douglas's statement to say that he saw monsters, you're going to end up with this unanswerable question - but also, think about it: if he DID see the monsters, who could he possibly tell? Who would believe him? They'd all think he'd gone nuts, would lock him away, and that'd be the end of that.

I think his comment was more about the history of the town, and the people living there.
I'm not dead yet, dammit.
BloodRedLion
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by BloodRedLion »

For some reason, the topic of this title made me laugh quite boisterously.

But really, the people who know the truth about the goings-on in Silent Hill are either dead, involved with the cult, or people that no one would take seriously, as Krist mentioned. Not to mention the fact that the otherside isn't a tangible place in objective physical reality. Even if some authority like the military or the government wanted to do something about it, they couldn't.
XXXIII
Just Passing Through

Post by XXXIII »

It is strange how in the game the characters don’t seam to think what’s going on is effecting the world (excepting SH4 because it must be clear to them its not) the only time I remember someone making a comment on it is in the first game when they say a military rescue squad is coming.
Such a nice little town…
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

They didn't say it was coming - Kaufmann said that one should be here, implying that help would be arriving soon, but he wasn't being 100% sure about it.

Here's the dialog:

Kaufmann: Zip. But it's too soon to give up. This craziness can't go on
forever. A Military Rescue Squad should be here any time now. If
they come through the town, we're home free.

Emphasis is mine.
XXXIII
Just Passing Through

Post by XXXIII »

God forgive me, still it’s odd that no one else thought that.
Such a nice little town…
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

There's no need to be snippy, if you were - I was just correcting you.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

The Government was too busy in Iraq to do anything about Silent Hill.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
XXXIII
Just Passing Through

Post by XXXIII »

No its ok thanks for correcting me Krist, I would not want to spread misinformation.
Such a nice little town…
MisterGrey
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MisterGrey »

The government had already had to deal with The People's Temple in '78. The last thing they wanted to do was get mixed up with another wacky cult. Roads were closed. The right people were contacted. No questions asked.
Mis Krist.

Post by Mis Krist. »

What roads were closed? I got the impression that no one was contacted from what happened in SH1 because it only happened to the people you see in the game.
MisterGrey
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by MisterGrey »

Sorry. Didn't mean the last part as an actual statement on the game. Should have tagged it as [mysterious government guy voice]. I was thinking along the lines of "our top people" from the end of "Raiders of the Lost Arc."
valiturus

Post by valiturus »

Even if the government knew about it, they couldn't or would decide not to do anything about it. The government in our own reality doesn't do much to ultimately help mankind, so why would it be any different for an alternate reality?
nur_ein_tier
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by nur_ein_tier »

Krist. wrote:They didn't say it was coming - Kaufmann said that one should be here, implying that help would be arriving soon, but he wasn't being 100% sure about it.
Yeah, that's the weird thing about Kaufman, but that's another game I suppose...

As for Douglas, I've always thought he was talking about things besides monsters. Other than that, I agree with most of what has been said here.Different otherworlds, shifting, etc.
ImageImage
Camhacks & stuff: SH1 | SH2 | SH3 | SH4 | SHSM | FaceBook | YouTube
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Even if the government knew about it, they couldn't or would decide not to do anything about it. The government in our own reality doesn't do much to ultimately help mankind, so why would it be any different for an alternate reality?
That's a pretty critical view of the government y'got there. But there's no way the government could do anything except quarantine the entire town. And that's assuming they take the claim seriously.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]