Tips playing this game...

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

potato
Just Passing Through

Tips playing this game...

Post by potato »

I just started playing the game i notice your character can't even dodge, the strong button is same button as normal attack.

i'm having problems with 1st enemies, you can't really block coz they always combo, you block the 1st hit you get knocked behind, 2nd & 3rd usually make you drop your weapon. But they can block your combos with no problem.

This game feature auto lock when you are close to them so it makes dodging, running away a problem.

Any tips how to survive? I went ahead with normal on action. But it takes really lots of hits to bring 1 enemy down.
JuriDawn
SHH Cult Subscriber
SHH Cult Subscriber

Re: Tips playing this game...

Post by JuriDawn »

1. I actually found combat to be easier when I wasn't blocking. It's just not effective enough to really be worth it, and it damages weapons too much. So just swing away and don't stop until the monster is dead.

2. On the topic of breakable weapons, stick to the sturdier wrenches, fire axes, and crowbars, and swap them out every time you come across a new one. Once I adopted this strategy, I could get through the entire game without breaking a weapon. It also really helps to get the unbreakable melee weapons from certain side quests, but those aren't available until fairly late in the game.

3. Don't fight avoidable battles. Murphy can outrun most monsters, and they'll usually stop chasing you after a certain distance—unless it's storming heavily, then they're more persistant—so save your health items and run from outdoor encounters. There are also several points in the game where you'll be overwhelmed by a group of enemies in an indoor area. It's perfectly acceptable to run at those points as well.

4. Draw Weeping Bats into locations that hinder their movement. Those things can be a real bitch when they take to the ceiling, so if you can draw them away from areas with high ceilings, do so. My husband discovered a cheap trick at the first encounter with a Weeping Bat:
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
You encounter the first one after exiting a small room in the caverns. Just outside the door is a pickaxe, and shortly after you come through the door, you're attacked. Jon picked up the pickaxe, then ran back into the open door of the room he'd just exited. The Weeping Bat couldn't get through the door, so Jon just threw the weapon at the monster. The pickaxe outside the door would keep respawning, so Jon would keep running outside, retreating out of reach, and throwing the pickaxe. It took awhile, but he took down the Weeping Bat without taking a single hit!
Once they're on even footing with you and can't spring away to the ceiling, just duke it out until it's down. If you must fight a bat on the ceiling, stick to firearms.

Hope those help! :)
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

You can block even if Murphy is already attacking.

So if you start to swing at an enemy and you see them attacking back at the same time, hit the block button & Murphy will instantly stop his attack animation and block.

A tip for the Screamers: they have a scream attack that immobilizes you. If you see them rear-back to scream, run away from them until they're done.
You can easily avoid it by running a relatively-short distance away, & then come back after it's done & resume fighting.

On health: you can check your health-percentage by pressing 'start' and going to 'statistics.'
That will help you save a lot of health; remember, first-aid kits restore 50% of your health.
potato
Just Passing Through

Post by potato »

so this game you cannot dodge? and how strong combo works with weak attacks as they are the same button? Homecoming they are different button so i can easily pull hard combos with soft.
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

You cannot dodge, only run away.

To use a strong attack, just hold the attack button instead of tapping it.
Yuki
Historical Society Historian

Post by Yuki »

In the beginning of the game, when you first wander into the town, you're probably going to be really confused as to where to go. Look up.
Silent_Storm
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Silent_Storm »

Just throw things at the monsters you cab often kill them before thy even get close to you.

The weeping bats can be killed easily if you throw things from the right distance.
What's the big deal - Laura
pink_isnt_well000
Historical Society Historian

Post by pink_isnt_well000 »

I actually killed monsters by accidentally throwing things in their direction. Advice! When you have to balance on beams do not look down. So much death.