Anyone got a clue why the fps (spoliers)

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

silenthillking
Just Passing Through

Anyone got a clue why the fps (spoliers)

Post by silenthillking »

Hallo i`am no tech head but i no a fair bit i always thought games work like this where your character is standing there's a invisible circle called mini mapping
that makes a decision on what textures are drawn in anything in the circle it hi res and textures outside the ring are at a lower res to save video memory

as for downpour i haven't a clue it can't be caused by lack of video memory
because it happens in doors honestly has anyone got a clue why the fps drop.
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Re: Anyone got a clue why the fps (spoliers)

Post by Typographenia »

Poor optimization? I don't know either.
Piers909
Just Passing Through

Re: Anyone got a clue why the fps (spoliers)

Post by Piers909 »

Well I'm not sure how Vatra did it in particular, but as a game designer myself I would guess that the lag comes from them loading high-resolution sections of the game world as the player nears a new area. Most games load on a different core than the game logic is running on and have a low-resolution version of the area being displayed when the player is not near, so if the player enters the low-res area before it has a chance to load- there is still an object being displayed while the area continues to load and it doesn't completely break the player's experience. (Hence: pop in as observed in most UE games) Downpour - due to its fog - probably doesn't have the low resolution area because the player can't see far enough for the distance to matter. This looks good, but has the draw back of the engine stuttering as it tries to load a new, high res area (High res = high poly, large textures = high memory, needs more than a streaming core) before the player arrives.

In the case that the engine can't load the new area in time, the game actually stops and a loading time occurs. (Eg. the orphanage and entering the east wing)

Atleast, this is my understanding of why the game stutters so much.