Light projector copied from the suffering

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Re: Light projector copyed from the suffering

Post by clips »

People complained that in Heavy Rain the killer's identity remained the same regardless of what actions you take.

People complain that Downpour's different endings change the entire plot of the game depending on which one you get.

Gamers are a fickle bunch who don't know what they want.

I totally agree on Homecoming's endings. I love the game and plot overall but those were some weak-ass endings.
What you stated is true tho...i don't think we're really complaining about it, just pointing out how flawed those moral systems were in those games. I loved Heavy Rain....(Ethan was a great character) but the outcome as far as the murderer is concerned was the same no matter what. The only difference is that the game could end up being shorter if you end up getting any of the other characters killed.
I really don't think that Murphy killed Charlie in the Execution ending. It goes against everything we've learned about Murphy by that point; I think he was just accused of it, not that he did it
That plays into the whole picking "good" or "bad" Murphy at the end of the game tho...it's played out in a way for you to believe that he killed Charlie...which is why it's a bit confusing since everything he does in the game kinda completely contradicts that.

The game does a poor job of having that small grey area of possibily showing that Murphy could have actually killed Charlie...instead it's like the game goes "bipolar" with that ending

I always thought the Execution ending was some weird reality bubble where Murphy blames himself for everything and then destroys himself for 'justice'. Like how in the Reverse ending, Anne wakes up as a prisoner and Murphy's the policeman. Neither of these are reality.
How is that so?...each of these endings are supposed to be an eventuality that could actually happen. There's no way to really know since there will most likely not be a follow up to Downpour, but the ending you get is supposed to be the reality resulting from your actions in the game.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

What I'm suggesting is that, like in the Reverse ending, the Execution ending is Murphy accepting a false reality. He's still in the Otherworld.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
J. Quinzelle
Just Passing Through

Re: Light projector copied from the suffering

Post by J. Quinzelle »

Alright, that ending y'all are baffling over, the one where Murphy is given the death sentence and tells the guard "see you in hell"...

HE DID NOT KILL CHARLIE!

Not once is it implied that he did at the ending. Yes, he's getting death. Yes, he doesn't contest it. Yes, the sentence is served. But where does he declare, "I murdered my boy!"? Never. He's been in prison for years on a crime he did not commit involving the death of his offspring. Guards have manipulated him, he has killed in prison. He just went through a psychologically ethereal event involving extreme traumas and terrors.

THE GUY, MURPHY, IS JUST GIVING UP AND ACCEPTING HIS FATE.
Have none of you ever been so accused of something that you throw up your hands and say, "fine, it was me, just get over it"? Or are we all living happy lives here?
"Dance
Dance like butterflies
Shadows appear right before my eyes
Sounds echo the absurd
Hard to explain something that I heard"

http://www.shyofinterruption.com
PSN: Interrupted
Rev
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Rev »

Droo wrote:People complained that in Heavy Rain the killer's identity remained the same regardless of what actions you take.

People complain that Downpour's different endings change the entire plot of the game depending on which one you get.

Gamers are a fickle bunch who don't know what they want.
Don't forget how the fandom complained relentlessly how they hated Homecoming because it "copies too much from previous Silent Hill games", and then hate on Downpour because it's "too different from the previous Silent Hill games/IT'S NOT SILENT HILL WAHH". There's just no appeasing Silent Hill fans.

Also, I agree with the crowd that Murphy didn't kill Charlie regardless of the ending. There's no confirmation that he did. Just because he's been accused of killing his son, doesn't mean he actually did it. It's not unheard of for a prisoner to get put on death row for crimes they didn't commit. Sad, but true. And in Murphy's case, given how much he loved his son, I can't think of him having actually done the crime. If that ending stuck to the game's narrative, you could still say that Murphy killed Napier for the murder of his son, as well as taking the fall for Charlie's death in that scenario.

I also agree that while most of the endings could've been done better, and probably shouldn't have changed Murphy's backstory, Truth & Justice tied the storyline together just fine in my opinion. So saying that there is no good ending or that they're all rushed and terrible is entirely subjective. Just saying. There are plenty of past games that have pretty rushed endings made by everyone's beloved Team Silent.

Lastly, I couldn't care less how much Downpour borrowed from The Suffering, seeing that I've never played the latter game. If they did, they did. It's not the only game in the franchise that paid homages to other games/movies/books/TV shows/whatever.
HeartlessBastard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by HeartlessBastard »

Rev wrote:Lastly, I couldn't care less how much Downpour borrowed from The Suffering, seeing that I've never played the latter game. If they did, they did. It's not the only game in the franchise that paid homages to other games/movies/books/TV shows/whatever.
That reminds me, the first game is basically the plot of Carrie, The Mist and Joccob's Ladder put together.
"Good people should love their enemies" - Seu Madruga
Its Gone Now
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Its Gone Now »

Rev wrote:Don't forget how the fandom complained relentlessly how they hated Homecoming because it "copies too much from previous Silent Hill games", and then hate on Downpour because it's "too different from the previous Silent Hill games/IT'S NOT SILENT HILL WAHH". There's just no appeasing Silent Hill fans
You make a good point here but I don't see sticking to the same formula as the originals and taking inspiration from them is the same as flat out ripping things kicking and screaming from them from a design standpoint.

As for copying things from other games, whether you have played them before or not you have to admit that it is a bit lazy. How many enemy types were there in DP? Not enough for me. Other things wound me up in DP e.g. in the apartments every bed in each apartment is the same even down to the same creases on the sheets, they all had the same furniture and pictures on the wall, all of the windows have identical smudges on them etc, In SH2 and 3 they had a lot of individuality to each part of every location, I just feel that they were taking a step back in a lot of aspects of what made SH unique.

They also used a lot of the same scenery and "clutter" everywhere,

Also If anyone here has played Deadly Premonition then you will instantly notice that the Boogeyman from Downpour bares a striking resemblance to the "Raincoat Killer" from said game.

I can forgive certain shortcomings as one of the lead Devs quit close to the game being finished and I believe Vatra are done? Are they stilll going?

But I don't believe there is any excuse for releasing a fun, yet sub-par and glitchy Silent Hill game, especially when they used to be regarded as one of the forerunners of Horror in games.

Having said all of this I do still rate SHDP quite highly but this is mainly because I love all SHs for better or worse.
Seal of Megatron
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Seal of Megatron »

Deadly Premonition, now there's a game, right Zack?
Who's the man? Me!!
Its Gone Now
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Its Gone Now »

Seal of Megatron wrote:Deadly Premonition, now there's a game, right Zack?
You funny Bstard :D

My 7 month old son is called Zack.

Still don't know why we chose it, I bet it was the coffee.
Seal of Megatron
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Seal of Megatron »

It's always the coffee.
Who's the man? Me!!
KiramidHead
Historical Society Historian

Post by KiramidHead »

Don't forget the damn good sandwiches