Xbox or PS3 Version?

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re: Xbox or PS3 Version?

Post by thy_butcher »

I honestly think the PS3 version runs a tad bit better.
The 360 version constantly "auto-saves" whereas my PS3 version never did that.
I've watched a few different people play it on the 360 & when compared to my experience with the game on PS3, I think the PS3 version edges out a win.

But they'll be releasing a patch for Downpour at some point, & I assume the patch will make both versions identical.
Typographenia
Historical Society Historian

Post by Typographenia »

I've heard the PS3 has a great more deal of slowdown, and I'm sure being able to choose to install to the harddrive on 360 helps with some of that.

I think you'll be dealing with issues either way, so I say choose which platform you prefer more.

My copy just came in today, so I'm looking forward to starting on it soon. I think I might need to finish Lollipop Chainsaw before I shift gears for this.
KiramidHead

Post by KiramidHead »

I'm on the PS3, and the lag is so minimal I don't even notice it any more.
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

From what I've read there aren't many differences between the PS3 and 360 versions. Glitches seem to happen randomly; some people experience them, some people don't. Personally I think it all comes down to console preference. I, personally, bought the PS3 version simply because that was the first copy I found in-store.
clips
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by clips »

I have the ps3 version, and i honestly haven't experienced any slowdown or anything like that...at least nothing to the point that involves needing a patch for performance issues...

Now they may have to release a patch for how the game saves...it seems to only really save at certain points or when you enter or leave buildings.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

^they said back in april they would release a patch for this game, and there's still no patch. i'm not playing through this game until that patch arrives, cos i can't deal with the technical issues.
RivenZero
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by RivenZero »

I just recently bought my copy for 360 and I'm wondering how bad the issues are? I haven't heard anything on it as of yet. Is it just random autosave issues and should I wait for the game to be patched to play?

I'm playing through SH3 so I can wait for the patch if the issues are serious.
Thanks again JuriDawn for the amazing avatar & sig!
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

I have the xbox version. In my first playthrough, I got some bad lag in certain areas of the town and the orphanage, but now I am late in my second playthrough (last area) and I haven't really gotten any lag at all, even running through the whole game.

I had a thought though. The first time I played on my old, loud, refurbished unit from after another red-ringed. This time I'm using the new Xbox S design with a 250 gb hard drive (holy crap). Maybe that has something to do with it?
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

^who knows, it could be.. however i know people with old and new 360's were experiencing the framerate drops. Riven, you may get lucky and not experience much, if any framerate/technical issues at all. only thing you can do is play the game and see for yourself.

i had originally traded this game in after my disgust with it. Due to the technical issues, i stopped playing and never beat it. Then i saw they were going to patch everything which would make the game playable for me, so i got it again... that was over a month ago.... if no patch is released before this month is over, i may just say screw this game, along with Konami and the series, and move on.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Skele wrote:^who knows, it could be.. however i know people with old and new 360's were experiencing the framerate drops. Riven, you may get lucky and not experience much, if any framerate/technical issues at all. only thing you can do is play the game and see for yourself.

i had originally traded this game in after my disgust with it. Due to the technical issues, i stopped playing and never beat it. Then i saw they were going to patch everything which would make the game playable for me, so i got it again... that was over a month ago.... if no patch is released before this month is over, i may just say screw this game, along with Konami and the series, and move on.
I believe Tomm Hulett has said while he's not involved with the patch, he knows it is in progress. Considering how many problems the programmers had making the game, it makes sense it's taking a while to fix.
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

It's interesting.. because I haven't connected the xbox to the internet, and I bought it before the game came out (I hadn't hooked it up for a bit). So, I definitely didn't get any patch.. that's what got me wondering. Is there one for it out now? I'll take the time to get Live going in order to get that.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

I thought I remembered there being word of a small patch that released for the PS3 version due to some weird save error, but I was never prompted with a patch when I played through it.
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

Hm, ok. I'm really hoping for an xbox one, because the occasional lag is my main problem with the game. I've even come to like most of the monsters in the game. I still dislike the prison monsters/juggernauts and the screamers are okayyyyy but get old. Dolls and Weeping Bats are interesting. And they're the creepiest in the game.

We'll see if where the lag is varies in my 3rd playthrough, on this new Xbox again.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

Nope, there's still no patch. we're at 2 months now, and not a thing.

Yuki, thanks for the post, but it shouldn't take them 2 months to fix the issues they were supposed to address. Especially when Konami said the patches were to be released "in the coming weeks."

I'm just gonna trade it in again and play Amnesia.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Skele wrote:but it shouldn't take them 2 months to fix the issues they were supposed to address.
I think that's kind of an impossible call to make from the outside, considering how things are liable to break as they do.
Yuki

Post by Yuki »

Typographenia wrote:
Skele wrote:but it shouldn't take them 2 months to fix the issues they were supposed to address.
I think that's kind of an impossible call to make from the outside, considering how things are liable to break as they do.
I second this. It'd be nice to have a notification--just "hey guys, the patch is still being worked on, it's just taking a while"--from Konami, but considering they were given unfinished code and according to the hardcore fans there are a plethora of things wrong with it, they're probably trying to ensure that it fixes almost--if not completely--anything.

Not to mention that they also have to test it. Game development takes a while; you can't just expect a patch immediately, especially when it's something as big as this.

EDIT:
http://www.relyonhorror.com/in-depth/in ... m-tierney/

We're getting the HD Collection patch first, "soon".
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

you guys should stop making excuses for Konami and Vatra. 2 months is a very long time.

id had a patch out within 2 weeks or so to fix the terrible framerate issues with Rage on the PC. If it takes Vatra this long to fix something, it just shows that they are piss poor at developing games. I mean they had an extra 3-5 months and the game still had technical issues upon release. if this were a game on the PC i could understand it taking a while, with all the different setups that gamers have, it's quite tasking to fix certain issues. but all they have to do is focus on 2 consoles. smh
Glenn
Gravedigger

Post by Glenn »

I feel like Downpour's problems should have been resolved quicker since there weren't as many problems and the fact that they are patching something with a finished code.
Typographenia

Post by Typographenia »

Skele wrote:you guys should stop making excuses for Konami and Vatra. 2 months is a very long time.

id had a patch out within 2 weeks or so to fix the terrible framerate issues with Rage on the PC. If it takes Vatra this long to fix something, it just shows that they are piss poor at developing games. I mean they had an extra 3-5 months and the game still had technical issues upon release. if this were a game on the PC i could understand it taking a while, with all the different setups that gamers have, it's quite tasking to fix certain issues. but all they have to do is focus on 2 consoles. smh
Where does a company like Bethesda fit onto the spectrum of acceptable and unacceptable? I only ask since we're comparing dissimilar development studios.

I would assume that QA would have to be pretty intensive since fixing something like the framerate issues which has to do with streaming content as you explore would require a thorough sweeping of the majority of the game's content to be sure nothing broke. I'm just speculating, though, as I have no real clue on the matter.
Skele
Subway Guard

Post by Skele »

^Eh, Bethesda always has issues with their games upon release. They're always buggy, but they're open world and can be played in a number of ways, so you should expect there to be a few issues that were missed during QA. However, you can usually count on Bethesda to patch the game within an acceptable timeframe to fix whatever issues it has. But i don't want to make it seem like Bethesda is perfect, they have their share of fuckups (Skyrim on PS3, New Vegas on the PC) .

I'll try and cut Vatra and Konami some slack and just wait patiently for this patch.