Anyone ok with Vatra doing another Silent Hill?

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Anyone ok with Vatra doing another Silent Hill?

Post by Falconv1.0 »

I have to say, I have really really mixed feelings on this game. I think what really made me go "eh" were the monster designs and the over all lack of fear I had in that last level. 2 had a pretty good example of a creepy prison, Downpour's is so straight forward and just...meh. Like I don't need all these small cut scenes where a prison guy jumps out and is like OH HEY WHAT UP WE GON FIGHT NAO. Then I shot him in the face...and he was dead...cool.

I think Murphy was actually genuinely interesting which was more than I can say for most of the other protagonists, and I reeaaallly did like the first parts of the game where I actually felt some tension and dread, but they REALLY need a better artists and imo, better sound design as well. Way too many scenes with music going on when silence would have been better. I'm pretty sure there were a few scenes where you could hear radio music and then bg music at the same time, that just seems...wrong.

I didn't hate the living hell out of it like Homecoming but I think they need to focus more on subtle dread and JESUS CHRIST FIX THAT GAME ENGINE. So...anyone think they deserve another go at it?

Edit-One other criticism is that I really don't like the usage of the otherworld. It's so brief and imo, too crazy and loud. You don't really feel trapped, it's more like a crazy rollercoaster. Also the way you seem to just kind randomly teleport around seemed a little...odd. So did Anne actually shoot him, why are they suddenly outside, I don't but how does this even-

I mean, look at SH3, it was pretty in your face but like, in a creepy disturbing way. You go out of a room and you're like AW FUCK WHAT'S GOING ON. The dread I think comes from the fact that you feel like you're exploring this terrifying and messed up place, not running through it from some void...thing.
Last edited by Falconv1.0 on 19 Mar 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Your weaboo is showing
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Re: Anyone ok with Vatra doing another Silent Hill?

Post by warfare315 »

If they continue to listen to what the fans want as they already have, then I would say yes. I enjoyed Downpour enough to definitely see what else Vatra could come up with for Silent Hill.
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
Dark Shadow
Just Passing Through

Post by Dark Shadow »

Definitely, out of all the new teams I think they're the most capable.
ebolasupermonky
Just Passing Through

Post by ebolasupermonky »

Absolutely, Downpour impressed me quite a bit, loved the Otherworld scenes and the chase scenes were a nice touch. The graphics were pretty good and the story was great. Keep Tom Waltz and Vatra and keep building on all this good stuff.

...oh and um fix that frame rate issue plz.
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.
If you agree, add it to your sig.
Aerith Gainsborough
Historical Society Historian

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

I'm perfectly okay with it. I was very pleased with Downpour, and this is coming from someone who was very skeptical of it at first. Vatra did a great job making it very unique from other titles in the series without losing the Silent Hill 'vibe' we all know and love.

Also, Vatra seems very interested in what we fans think, and I think that made a huge difference in this game.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
aj4x94

Post by aj4x94 »

Falconv1.0 wrote: Edit-One other criticism is that I really don't like the usage of the otherworld. It's so brief and imo, too crazy and loud. You don't really feel trapped, it's more like a crazy rollercoaster.
I also felt this way with Downpour. While I really like the game, I also felt that the Otherworld sequences were rather brief, and only served to end the level in a more dynamic way. I wasn't really able to just sit back and let the ambiance set it since a good part of the time, you were being chased by the Void(but even these were handled so much better than Shattered Memories). They should allow us to explore the Otherworld once again, with the occasional chase or big WTF moment, and not everytime, or we begin to expect it every time the world changes.

My biggest gripe with the game is easily the monster design. Those wall monsters made me shake my head, and the prisoner minions are the definition of generic with dropkicks thrown in. Not to mention the Prisoner Juggernaut, which looks almost exactly like the Uber-Immortal from 300.

Overall, I give the game an 8, mainly due to the monsters and technical issues. I'm pretty sure with some polish and better artists, Vatra can make an even better game.
You can take my heart
And hold it together as we fall apart
Maybe together we can make a mark in the stars we embark
And keep us together as the lights go dark
Herr Shaun
Gravedigger

Post by Herr Shaun »

Revert the monster design, give us some more Otherworldly goodness, and get rid of those stupid chases, and Vatra may just be our new Team Silent.
You've got your good things, and I've got mine.
Aerith Gainsborough

^Oh no, Shaun. You mentioned Team Silent. This may end into a bloody battle.

I agree with you, though. The Otherworld was nice, but I definitely want more. I loved the Otherworld towards the end. I liked the chases, though. It showed how Murphy is trying to run away from his guilt, but I guess if they were to show that for every character that has repressed guilt, well...we'd have a lot of running in the franchise. :P
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

One of my big issues with the running was that I literally predicted every time it happened. Reminded me of Shattered Memories with its super obvious and predictable pacing, which failed to scare me. OH NO, ICE? IS IT MONSTER TIME? OH IT IS, OH JOY.
Your weaboo is showing
aj4x94

Post by aj4x94 »

Aerith Gainsborough wrote:^Oh no, Shaun. You mentioned Team Silent. This may end into a bloody battle.

I agree with you, though. The Otherworld was nice, but I definitely want more. I loved the Otherworld towards the end. I liked the chases, though. It showed how Murphy is trying to run away from his guilt, but I guess if they were to show that for every character that has repressed guilt, well...we'd have a lot of running in the franchise. :P
The chases sequences were handled much better this time, since you weren't completely screwed if you took a wrong turn, but it did let the Void get that much closer to you and made it all the more tense. You know what I really like about the chase sequences? You know for sure that Murphy is scared shitless. Just listen to his screams.
You can take my heart
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

aj4x94 wrote:
Aerith Gainsborough wrote:^Oh no, Shaun. You mentioned Team Silent. This may end into a bloody battle.

The chases sequences were handled much better this time, since you weren't completely screwed if you took a wrong turn, but it did let the Void get that much closer to you and made it all the more tense. You know what I really like about the chase sequences? You know for sure that Murphy is scared shitless. Just listen to his screams.
Yeah that bit I did like. I really liked Murphy in general. I feel he was more fun to listen to early on though, idunno, like he seemed more observant in my opinion.
Your weaboo is showing
Piers909
Just Passing Through

Post by Piers909 »

I'm hoping Vatra becomes the series regular developer...

I know Konami has probably already handed SH 9 over to another developer (3 year dev time, the game was probably started 1-2 years ago), but I hope for SH10 and future titles Vatra is given the role as the main series developer. Keep Climax on for handheld titles (Instead of Wayforward) and fuck Double Helix.

As said before - better monster designs and keep Waltz on as the writer, and there could be some awesome titles in the future.
Aerith Gainsborough

aj4x94 wrote:

Haha, his screams were actually hilarious. Especially when he would let out a loud and long one. It totally didn't match his usual rugged voice. The only thing I didn't like about the chase sequences is that I got lost often, but that's not a big deal. I also found that the void would spread to other parts of the area. For example, I would run stairs then go around another way and back down them while the void is going up, and it'll spread to the part I'm going down to, even though it's not that close behind me. That's gotten me killed a few times.
Herr Shaun
Gravedigger

Post by Herr Shaun »

aj4x94 wrote:since you weren't completely screwed if you took a wrong turn
That's not especially true. How far in have you played?
You've got your good things, and I've got mine.
dano66
Just Passing Through

Post by dano66 »

I'd love to see Vatra do another Silent Hill game
SaveMeFromThem
Just Passing Through

Post by SaveMeFromThem »

Yes. Yes.
My only major problems with Downpour are the frame rate glitches and the combat system...and okay, the monster design wasn't great. But other than that I think it's a brilliant addition to the series. Murphy is definitely one of the most interesting characters in to come to Silent Hill. I loved his story and his interactions with the other characters (I really want to learn more about Anne, Howard, DJ Ricks etc.).
I dig Vatra's style. For me, the game hit maximum intensity when I reached the orphanage and didn't let up. I don't know if any SH title had me on edge this much. Every time I jumped/gasped in reaction to something I'd have to give props to Vatra for getting me yet again...and it happened a lot.

I really hope they sign Vatra on to develop the next one. I want to see if they've got any other tricks hidden up their sleeve..
aj4x94

Post by aj4x94 »

Herr Shaun wrote:
aj4x94 wrote:since you weren't completely screwed if you took a wrong turn
That's not especially true. How far in have you played?
I beat the game, and I seriously never had much trouble running away from the Void. Most of the time when a door slams in your face, you're forced to run to the closest door next to it, until you find one that stays open. And the game is generous to give you enough time to escape, but not always unscathed, though I believe it was a deliberate choice in order to manufacture the tension of just barely getting away. I probably died like once or twice to the Void and it was at the end of the game where your path is up a roundabout flight of stairs.
You can take my heart
dr bones
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by dr bones »

There was one void chase sequence I fucking hated my first time through, I kept getting lost and dying. It was the first one where they send an inmate or two to come running at you, and there's wall bleeders and slamming doors. I don't know how the hell you're supposed to dodge that inmate, btw... I couldn't stop long enough to beat him down without getting mauled by that gosh-darn void. Plus the paths split into three or more ways a bunch... Every other chase sequence was cake, but this one really bugged me.

On topic, I think the current team at Vatra did a fine job, they wrote a compelling story that was well-told and gave the town of Silent Hill some of it's soul back. I really do hope that their next potential entry to the series is a little scarier. I honestly was a bit dissapointed that this game wasn't all that scary (personally, I'd tie it with Homecoming as least-scary). I place most of the burden of that blame on the creature design of Downpour... I found none of them disturbing, and besides the final boss, the Dolls, and Hammer Guy, none of them were very unique or interesting to me. (admittedly, though, that Hammer Guy fight was fucking bad ass. One of my favorite moments of the game).

The inmates made me laugh out loud. Especially the ones with knives. I absolutely cannot see how somebody though that "creature" design like that would work in a Silent Hill game. If the rest of the game wasn't so fucking good, they would've ruined it for me.
"Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame."
"The lies and the mist are not they but I. You all know that I am One. Yes, and the One is I."
Martee
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Martee »

I don't want Vatra to be involved in another 'main series' Silent Hill. For a lot of reasons.

The Bad:
The environments were drab and felt empty.
The otherworld lacked any mystery or suspense.
The monster designs were terrible (Prisoners especially).
The story was a squashed mess.
The frame rate issues were unforgivable for a game made on the Unreal Engine, how could you break the engine so much?
Pathing issues with monsters.
Murphys screaming made me laugh out loud at several points.
The last boss looked like they took an ok design/model and just scaled it up to try make it feel 'epic'.
Taking away your flashlight/weapons at set locations ruined the tension as you knew the next section was designed with no flashlight/weapons in mind (The Devil's Pit is a prime example).
The music was used terribly, I can't even really say if I think Daniel Licht did a good job as composer because the only songs I remember from the entire game were Akiras tracks that they put in.
The fact that the devs repeatedly mentioned how 'its not going to be like Homecoming' felt like an insult to past developers I.E. very unprofessional.
The fact that the devs mentioned how Pyramid Head wasn't going to be in the game as he's specific to James and then proceeded to put Samael, Henry's Room and James hotel room in the game. While maybe not specific to said characters, it still felt hypocritical and like pandering.
Howard/Ricks really didn't need to exist and ruined the mystery of Silent Hill for me as now it shows that some 'normal' people apparently do understand the town.
The fog was implemented poorly and looked like basic graphical fog for performance reasons and not like it was there for artistic reasons.
The game was hyped up as being the biggest Silent Hill, but ultimately ending up feeling small and like it was only big because they made lots of empty space.
The weapon system was annoying as you would see an item on the floor, get excited thinking you had found something good/interesting, pick it up, only to realise it was just another weapon and proceed to pick up your old weapon again.
Lack of examine-able things to see if the character had anything to say about it.
The subway system that was apparently put in because the town is so big that you need fast travel was pointless as the town wasn't very big at all.
The chase sequences were annoying and made the otherworld feel like there was nothing to worry about as all you had to do was run through it.

The Good:
The minecart ride was probably the most exciting part of the game for me. Though it did make me feel like it was their way of getting the location finished as they ran out of things to do.
The Hansel and Gretel play section.
I'm really struggling to think of anything else to go here so I might edit this later if I think of anything.
My supply fell through...
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

I have to agree the frame rate and drabness is just...unforgivable. I'm aspiring to make games one day, and I've got a good amount of hours in source sdk, and man, I'm pretty sure I could make maps that run better than the maps in Downpour. I guess they just didn't decrease the render distance enough or something? I dunno man, something is just up with that engine.
Your weaboo is showing