Downpour Easter Eggs (spoilers within)

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Biccard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Re: Downpour Easter Eggs (spoilers within)

Post by Biccard »

Droo wrote:There WAS a third door, before it was cemented up.
Really? I didn't know that. But if that is true, then the door must have been there for the last 2 years Henry has lived in the apartment, because in Downpour, the door is still there, but the frontdoor is also chained up, which happened only 5 days before the events of Silent Hill 4, when Henry had already lived there for 2 years. And Henry didn't notice that the third door was missing at all, and he doesn't even seem to know that there is even a room there. The door must then have been cemented up, about 5 days before the events of Silent Hill 4, that doesn't make too much sense. I am not in any way disagreeing with you, because I know the room in Downpour is only an easter egg, but the door doesn't make sense to me.
Droo

Post by Droo »

We never see the third door, but that room existed before it was cemented up, and I highly doubt what appears to otherwise be a second bedroom wouldn't have a door like the other rooms.

Trying to figure out a canonical explanation for Room 302 in Downpour is a fruitless endeavour, I think. I can't fathom a single reason why it would be there when the entire events of Silent Hill 4 took place as a result of Sullivan's delusions and rituals.

I treat it like I treat the playing of Yamaoka SH songs in Downpour: To remind us of a time when SH games were much, much better.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Biccard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Biccard »

Right. But we can see that room 302 is visited 5 days before the events of Silent Hill 4, at most, because the frontdoor is chained up. The third door at the end of the hall makes no sense, because the only reason I can think of, is that Walter cemented it up after performing the Ritual of Holy Assumption, and then somehow totally erased Henrys memory of a third door and a third room which he had owned for 2 years :D !
Droo

Post by Droo »

I still don't follow. Visited 5 days before SH4 by whom?

Walter's suicide and the ritual conducted in Room 302, after which the room was cemented up, occurred before Henry moved in.
Lives in the mirror"
Biccard
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Biccard »

The frontdoor leading out of the apartment is chained up from the inside, which happened only 5 days before the events of Silent Hill 4 - when Henry started having the 'recurring nightmare'. And we can clearly tell by the furniture that Murphy visits room 302 when Henry is living there, not when Joseph was, who was also chained in. And since the chains are there along with Henry's furniture, we can conclude that Murphy visits room 302 five days or less before the events of Silent Hill 4. Yet somehow the third door is still there. Do you follow now? :)
Soulless-Shadow
Subway Guard

Post by Soulless-Shadow »

Biccard wrote:The frontdoor leading out of the apartment is chained up from the inside, which happened only 5 days before the events of Silent Hill 4 - when Henry started having the 'recurring nightmare'. And we can clearly tell by the furniture that Murphy visits room 302 when Henry is living there, not when Joseph was, who was also chained in. And since the chains are there along with Henry's furniture, we can conclude that Murphy visits room 302 five days or less before the events of Silent Hill 4. Yet somehow the third door is still there. Do you follow now? :)
You do realize the apartment Murphy visits is an easter egg, right? It's not actually the very apartment Henry lives/lived in, so it can't be used in any theories or anything. It's just an easter egg, and nothing more. :?
Lucita
Just Passing Through

Post by Lucita »

^Guys, the Room 302 it's just an easter egg, just something you can look and say "Wow, cool, it's Henry's room!"
The third door, in MY OPINION, it's just a resemblance of the hole where Walter locked himself up to perform the ritual!
BTW, SH4 it's not even in Silent Hill, but in South Ashfield, so...easter egg!
...or maybe it's a projection of the room in Silent Hill....
¬¬ ¬¬ ¬¬ * wth am I thinking? *
EASTER EGG. PERIOD.
"Ignore the voice, it'll go away!"
=====================
VenusDoom
Hope House Careworker

Post by VenusDoom »

Room 302 might have actually been in Silent Hill, Henry fell asleep in the version in Ashfield, woke up in the 302 in Silent Hill, and the windows and peep hole are all just "crystal balls" showing the events happening outside of the one in Ashfield. That's my logical explanation.
Cry baby, cry baby, cry,<3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DW9xJTX-4
I love the Silent Hill Series. The games: Homecoming, Origins, and Shattered Memories, did nothing wrong whatsoever, they were developed well, and did things different. Just because they were not by Team Silent doesn't mean that they're bad games. I believe in this series. I believe that one day, we can have a game that will make all Silent Hill fans Happy. I believe that Silent Hill Downpour can achieve this.
Team Silent may be gone, but their series isn't. Instead... it's here, it's alive.

If you agree, add it to your sig.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Room 302 that Henry was trapped in technically doesn't exist. It's a pocket universe created by Sullivan. That said, there's little reason for it to appear in Silent Hill because Walter's rituals and delusions had little to do with Silent Hill. They had everything to do with a single apartment in Ashfield.
Lives in the mirror"
HarleyQuinnofHate
Just Passing Through

Post by HarleyQuinnofHate »

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but if you notice, when you pick up an item, it makes the same noise that it does in SH2. Not sure if is the same for other games, SH2 is just what I have played recently.

Same thing goes for the style of the map. Again, other games may do the say thing but the art style of the map is strikingly similar to SH2.
AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Post by AuraTwilight »

As far as I can recall, the Silent Hill 'pick up item' noise is the same in basically every game except Shattered Memories.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

The first Silent Hill had a different ambient noise, though it wasn't majorly different. Higher-pitched, maybe.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

HarleyQuinnofHate wrote:I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but if you notice, when you pick up an item, it makes the same noise that it does in SH2. Not sure if is the same for other games, SH2 is just what I have played recently.

Same thing goes for the style of the map. Again, other games may do the say thing but the art style of the map is strikingly similar to SH2.
I'm pretty sure every (if not, most) SH games except 1 and Shattered Memories use that noise. It's such a satisfying pickup noise for some reason, isn't it?

I really liked the room 302 Easter Egg, but guys, that's just what it is. An Easter Egg. Makes zero sense any other way.
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

I stumbled upon this a few days ago, but you can actually find patrick Napier's van in the outskirts of the town. I'm not sure what the name of the street was, but its on the south west side of the map under the yellow street line. Its on the street under the other yellow marked street. Apparently, he was some kind of cable guy, as the blue truck was labelled: "P.Napier, Electrical Systems Installation".
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
thy_butcher
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by thy_butcher »

^ Whoa, nice find.
Did you find it towards the beginning of the game?
I just got into town & I'd like to see.
PoemOfTheLastMoment
Gravedigger

Post by PoemOfTheLastMoment »

I decided to explore the town on a 2nd playthrough just to find easter eggs and this one was located very far off the expected route. His van was the only vehicle on that street. You can access this part of the town after completing the Centennial Building section. Just be prepared for a lot of running.
Now I Know, The Real Reason Why I Came To This Town....I Wonder....What Was I Afraid Of? Without You..I've Got Nothing...Now, We Can Be Together Again.....Mary.....
Rev
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Rev »

PoemOfTheLastMoment wrote:I decided to explore the town on a 2nd playthrough just to find easter eggs and this one was located very far off the expected route. His van was the only vehicle on that street. You can access this part of the town after completing the Centennial Building section. Just be prepared for a lot of running.
Oh wow, I never noticed that. I'm going to have to look for it on my next playthrough.
jdnation

Post by jdnation »

Just finished the game a little while ago... So I'm late to this party.

Some cool stuff here. Wow! Wish I could've come across the SH4 egg. Was that in the northern part of town? I hopped ont he boat before really looking around... couldn't come back...

Here's something I found though you guys must've found it already. Did any of you guys check out the scenery at the waterfalls after the cable car ride at the Devil's Drop?

By that I mean, did you guys use the viewing binoculars located there? There are three of them and you use the same coins you find at the diner in them. Some cool stuff to see! Really loved how they did it!
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Look through one at the cable car off in the distance. Zoom in on the windows and you'll see a bloody hand smack against the glass and leave a bloody handprint.

Look through another at the bridge end of the mine area towards the bottom and you'll see a man hanging.

Look through the one closest to the mine bridge, and the weather starts to change and you'll see the wheelchair dude moving towards the end of the bridge.
They're not eggs that refer to past games but are really just for Downpour itself. Still if you weren't looking around these little gems were easy to miss!
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

I didn't find them hard to miss considering I found them on my first playthrough. :P Still pretty good easter eggs though. The last one actually scared me, but it may have been the Screamer that jumped on my back as soon as the wheelchair creature rolled onto the scene. :lol:
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
Rev
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Rev »

jdnation wrote:
Look through one at the cable car off in the distance. Zoom in on the windows and you'll see a bloody hand smack against the glass and leave a bloody handprint.
The interesting thing that I noticed about the cable car one is that it's the same car that Murphy just came out of. And...
...if you look closely at the sleeve belonging to the hand, it's another person in a prisoner's outfit, like most of the dead bodies you find in the game.

Part of me likes to think that the guy in the cable car is Murphy, kind of like how you see doubles of him throughout the game (i.e. in one of the moving cages during the cage ride in the Centennial Building, and at the end of the hallway where you find Carol's letter in Overlook Penitentiary).