Question About One Of The Endings

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Brian J Flesh
Just Passing Through

Question About One Of The Endings

Post by Brian J Flesh »

Im sure this might be a stupid question but here we go.

I got one of the endings where the cop and murphy change places. He is the C.O. and she is the prisoner. What the hell does that mean?

Because she killed him shes now to re-live the silent hill terror?
She was Murphy the whole time?

Whats the deal with that? I didnt like it either way. My favorite ending is full circle where murphy is stuck in silent hill forever.
"In my restless dreams, I see that town... Silent Hill. I guess I really don't care if it's dangerous or not. I'm going to town either way."-Silent Hill 2.
Droo

Re: Question About One Of The Endings

Post by Droo »

By killing Murphy, Anne has failed her moral test that the town put her through. By becoming everything she hates, she now has to relive Murphy's experience from his perspective, so she will come to learn that he wasn't the one who killed her father anyway.
"Oh yeah, I've been here before
I can see it with eyes closed
Shadows that look like blood
Dead as far as the mind goes
Fear that comes from my head
Lives in the mirror"
Brian J Flesh
Just Passing Through

Post by Brian J Flesh »

Interesting, and I could buy it but depends on which ending you get.
"In my restless dreams, I see that town... Silent Hill. I guess I really don't care if it's dangerous or not. I'm going to town either way."-Silent Hill 2.
Droo

Post by Droo »

It doesn't matter which ending Anne gets, I don't think.
Lives in the mirror"
Brian J Flesh
Just Passing Through

Post by Brian J Flesh »

**dont read if you havent gotten all endings**

But murphy admits to killing the officer in FULL CIRCLE ending.
Droo

Post by Droo »

He does? I thought Sewell finished off Coleridge no matter what ending you got.
Lives in the mirror"
Aerith Gainsborough
Historical Society Historian

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

^Nope. You see Frank beaten up and then Murphy says, "Sorry, Frank" and stabs him in the back with the shank. He doesn't really admit it, it just shows him doing it.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
Droo

Post by Droo »

Ah. My mistake. I haven't seen the ending, because that would require replaying Downpour, which is down on my list of things I want to do right around "rubbing broken glass in my face".
Lives in the mirror"
Silent Fantasy

Post by Silent Fantasy »

Thats one of the things I didn't like about the Full Circle ending. I don't believe an ending should actually change the story. Just the outcome. It was a decent ending, but I just didn't care for that small change.
WARNING: Some Parts of Reality May Seem Violent or Cruel.
Brian J Flesh
Just Passing Through

Post by Brian J Flesh »

Full circle ending is the best one and the one that makes the most sense. Murphy needed to be placed in silent hill for a reason. And it was because he killed for the wrong reason. To cover up his other kill. The first kill was justified but not the second. Hence the town calling him.

The other endings all fall short.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Well, Tom Waltz said before the game came out that Murphy had a multiple choice past. That being said, I do think it's kind of a bullshit ending, because "Murphy DID kill Frank actually" kind of takes all the pathos out of the story. He says throughout the game that he doesn't kill people who don't deserve it, and he doesn't have James-esque amnesia.
Full circle ending is the best one and the one that makes the most sense. Murphy needed to be placed in silent hill for a reason. And it was because he killed for the wrong reason. To cover up his other kill. The first kill was justified but not the second. Hence the town calling him.

The other endings all fall short.
Er...Silent Hill already addressed this in the Orphanage scene: Napier's murder was NOT justified. Even if he was a sick fuck that deserved what he got, Murphy did not have the right to kill him, and the murder didn't do anything to bring Charlie back; it was a disservice to his memory. Instead of trying to honor his loss, he threw his whole entire life down the shitter to get vengeance, and ultimately he makes Charlie indirectly responsible for the murder of Frank Coleridge; even if he didn't kill Frank himself, he made his death possible in exchange for his personal, selfish vengeance.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Aerith Gainsborough

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

^Exactly. Honestly, Ending B was my favorite, and it seemed the best to me. While many would argue that A is the best, I felt it lacked a lot. I hated that they just part ways with Anne looking at the lake. Though it's probably best for the fact that Anne isn't seeking revenge for her father's death, but at least in that ending Sewell is actually receiving some justice for his crimes. I was thinking that maybe Anne didn't kill Sewell, but maybe threatened him in order to surrender...but don't those prisoners have security cameras like...about everywhere, so why would she kill him? Who knows?

I feel that Murphy definitely wasn't suffering from an amnesia plot. He seems to have full knowledge of everything that went on, but just didn't piece together the fact that revenge is bad and causes more turmoil than anything. The whole story is about discovering the truth, and realizing the hardship of revenge. That would ruin the pathos of the story, like Aura said, unless Sewell's way of persuasion was able to persuade Murphy that Frank wasn't really a good person towards most people, even if he was kind to Murphy? Still, that's very weak, and I think that endings A and B fit best.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
Wigeke
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by Wigeke »

Aerith Gainsborough wrote:^Nope. You see Frank beaten up and then Murphy says, "Sorry, Frank" and stabs him in the back with the shank. He doesn't really admit it, it just shows him doing it.
That's just a manifestation, no matter what in the first chase sequence you still hear Frank saying "Murphy, run!" when you first see the void.
teosoleil
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by teosoleil »

Just as manifestation? Who says that the "Murphy, run!" line wasn't a manifestation itself?

The cutscene changes the course of the main storyline depending on your actions; therefore that scene has obviously happened on whatever version of your playthrough if you get it, a la Shattered Memories.
Wigeke

Post by Wigeke »

teosoleil wrote:Who says that the "Murphy, run!" line wasn't a manifestation itself?
Yes, but it's the exact same line, it's actually a audioclip from that cutscene, it wouldn't make any sense if Murphy actually killed Frank.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Honestly, the ending where Murphy kills Frank just makes no sense in the context of the proceeding game. He has absolutely no reason to actually do it. Murphy's whole thing is that the one murder he did was justifiable and he still feels messed up about it. If he's going to work up the nerve to kill someone he cared about in order to close a deal, why not just kill Sewell to get out of doing it? It was to save Coleridge's life, he'd back him up, right?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Wigeke

Post by Wigeke »

That's exactly why I believe he never killed Frank, it makes no sense, that and the fact that you hear Frank say "Murphy, run!" in the middle of the game regardless of what ending you get. I always thought that was just a manifestation to show Murphy how terrible his choice of killing Anne was. It was as bad as it would have been killing Frank.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

I agree, actually. That makes sense.
Droo

Post by Droo »

AuraTwilight wrote:Honestly, the ending where Murphy kills Frank just makes no sense in the context of the proceeding game. He has absolutely no reason to actually do it. Murphy's whole thing is that the one murder he did was justifiable and he still feels messed up about it. If he's going to work up the nerve to kill someone he cared about in order to close a deal, why not just kill Sewell to get out of doing it? It was to save Coleridge's life, he'd back him up, right?
One murder? Murphy didn't even kill Napier. He just fucked his shit up badly.
Lives in the mirror"
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Uh...no, he killed Napier.