Screamers theory [unmarked Past Life spoilers]

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

The Adversary
RESPECT

Screamers theory [unmarked Past Life spoilers]

Post by The Adversary »

The spoilers aren't major—and only in the form of dialogue—but if you're hesitant to read anything about the story which may pertain to Downpour, perhaps this thread isn't for you. Personally, what I post shouldn't spoil much at all because I offer little context, and the context I do provide relates more to Silent Hill 2 than anything.

~~~~~~

I have a feeling the Screamers are the "spirits" referenced in Lost Memories from Silent Hill 2. Inola, a Cherokee woman in Past Life, refers to them, too.
[u]Lost Memories[/u] wrote:The name comes from the legend of the people whose land was stolen from them. They called this place 'The Place of the Silent Spirits.' By 'Spirits,' they meant not only their dead relatives, but also the spirits that they believed inhabited the trees, rocks and water around them.

According to legend, this was where the holiest ceremonies took place. But it was not the ancestors of those who now live in this town that first stole the land from these people. There were others who came before.

In those days, this town went by another name. But that name is now hopelessly lost in the veils of time. All we know is that there was another name, and that for some reason the town was once abandoned by its residents.
It sounds as if the Silent Spirits finally have a voice through the Screamers.

In Past Life, Inola soliloquys:
The Place of the Silent Spirits. It was what this place was once called. Not by my people—but people like me. People who've seen all they are, all they've loved . . . all they've ever known . . . taken away by others. The others claim a Manifest Destiny and infest a sacred land like fleas to a dog, calling it their world. A new world. But, really, it's not new . . . only different. An other world. And everywhere, even in this place, those spirits, silent for so long, cry out to be heard. To be remembered. To be avenged. I watch this white man and his woman enter town, and I know . . . the silence is ending and the time has come . . . for a whole new kind of Manifest Destiny." (1:7-9)
The story concludes with Potsmaster Blackwood asking Inola, "And the fires? Here . . . and in town?" She responds, "They belong to this land . . . and to the spirits. They're done bein' silent now, postmaster, you know that as well as I do. The fires burn for them . . . for the spirits. And they've only just begun. . . ." (4:22).

In the first century C.E., adherents of the Historical Jesus' preachings, known as the Holy Way, believed Jesus would return soon—like, weeks after his death. This didn't happen, of course, and the time of his resurrection was delayed again and again. Centuries later, he still hasn't shown, yet Christians still believe he will "soon," and as long Jesus hasn't come back, it will always be "soon."

In this context, we can draw a parallel to Inola's beliefs regarding the people before her—the people of the Place of Silent Spirits—and them returning with the Christians who for millennium have believed Jesus will return. Perhaps, then, the Screamers in Downpour will be their return.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Re: Screamers theory [unmarked Past Life spoilers]

Post by simeonalo »

carried from the other thread. It would be more easier to discuss that in this thread now.

Contains Past Life spoilers. Be warned.

(I'll be capitalizing Silenced Spirits in my reply)

The Adversary wrote:>Seems like a bit of the stretch<
I don't think so at all, especially considering what Inola said about the Place of the Silent Spirits and the confirmed connectivity between Past Life and Downpour, not to mention having the same author. Now we just have something, a creature, reified into those spirits.

Well SH: Past Life definitely did have some in-depth writing in a lot of back-story and mythology connected to the series, but I wouldn't say the Screamers are definitely linked to the town itself.

Sure, Jebediah Hellrider was around when Inola was referring to the Silenced Spirits, but what role exactly do those spirits have in the game? We really do not know as much, although we can gather a lot of information in the comics and from other sources.

I just don't think that a creature linked to the town itself would manifest to something to Murphy. Maybe Murphy is Jeb reincarnated and maybe the town is reminding reincarnated-Jeb of a quote that Inola once told his past life (hehe, see what I did there?) about Silenced Spirits--but the question is are these creatures really the embodied version of the Silenced Spirits Inola was talking about? Are they representing the Silenced Spirits? Are they creatures representing the quote Inola once talked about? Yes I know I am stretching it too much by adding in "maybe's" if Murphy was Jeb reborn, but it is a plausible factor and it does support the fact that we can't infer as much from the information we've been getting which happens to be little to none, although we get a whole deal of mythology from the comics that might explain Screamers.
>I would say the the screamers represent something more of agony. Maybe screams are used to symbolize pain?<
I have faith that Tom Waltz understands we don't want something so simple and cliché.
Yes. I understand Tom Waltz is a brilliant writer for doing excellent comics. However, I also don't think Tom Waltz would want us to take so much from the comics, connecting Silenced Spirits with the Screamer. Maybe it is connected to the Silenced Spirits in some way (maybe they're the Silenced Spirits themselves, maybe they're the Silenced Spirits represented, maybe they're not Silenced Spirits themselves, but a physical manifestation of the quoted text of Silenced Spirits), maybe is just too broad, but it really does seem like a stretch in my opinion although there is some excellent support for your theory. But the question is--if the Screamers really are some representation of the Silenced Spirits--

why Murphy?

Does the power of the town have a set time point for releasing their Silenced Spirits? If it does, then it is obvious that Murphy was chosen to face these Silenced Spirits because of some direct connection (and I'm not talking about Howard Blackwood being the direct connection-it has to be Jebediah, Inola, maybe even Awnita/Awnita's child reborn, or some other line descended from the characters that have been affected in the Past Life comics).

And I hope your theory is in the game because it would be completely awesome (and the writing would be sooooo juicy!) but we really cannot see anything until we unveil the story connections of the game.
wonder's boy
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by wonder's boy »

Trying to connect this theory in my mind at this point is like trying to put an entire image together with a puzzle that's missing a lot of pieces. I'm filling in the blank spots (primarily from the game) and filling them with speculation. The comic I know well because I read it, but I don't know enough about the game to connect the two. Very good theory, though! This could very well be what's happening with Downpour and the comic. Would make sense, anyway.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
five5sixers
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by five5sixers »

I could definitely see this as a possibility but there's no way to know for sure until we play <3 At the very least, it's an interesting connection between the two stories and I'm eager to see whether it holds true or not.

Simeonalo brings some good points to the table but I don't know enough about Past Life to agree or disagree and there's not enough information on Downpour yet to be certain of anything either way.
Book of Memories ID: five5sixers
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Maybe Murphy is Jeb reincarnated<
I don't think so. Pretty sure he's related to Jonas Leek. Jonas is shown in 1:8 and is almost identical to Murphy Pendleton.

>the question is are these creatures really the embodied version of the Silenced Spirits Inola was talking about?<
I'm suggesting they're the dead relatives of the people whose land was stolen, as is written in Lost Memory.

>I also don't think Tom Waltz would want us to take so much from the comics<
He wrote Past Life in order to accompany Downpour's story. What else would he want us to take away from it? That's almost insulting to Waltz.

>why Murphy?<
Is that really important? Lost Memories: Silent Hill Chronicle reads, "In the town of Silent Hill, those who shoulder the weight of their crimes and their own pasts gather. However, like Douglas, characters who happen to become involved for some reason or other have also come to appear. These characters, who hold no darkness in their hearts, come to fulfill the role of supporting the protagonist." Murphy, like Henry, can simply be a vehicle through which the story is told. Of course, I already think he's connected to Jonas Leek, so none of that matters.
Last edited by The Adversary on 17 May 2011, edited 1 time in total.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Aerith Gainsborough
Historical Society Historian

Post by Aerith Gainsborough »

This is very, very interesting, Tom! Thank you for sharing this.
I'm rarely on the forums anymore. Click here for ways to reach me.
stopped_clock

Post by stopped_clock »

The Screamers represent the bean sidhe (or Banshee), a mythical creature of celtic folklore who's deafening cry is a lament, signalling a death in the family. This death of course is that of Murphy's wife who died three years ago. His wife's maiden name was Cunningham, and throughout the game we will be repeatedly unable to save the coincidentally named officer Cunningham from various dangerous scenarios (such as the one seen in the demo) just as Murphy was unable to save his wife from that damned disease.

8)
Too cold to start a fire
I'm burning diesel, burning dinosaur bones
I'll take the river down to still water
And ride a pack of dogs
krakalackin
Gravedigger

Post by krakalackin »

The Adversary wrote:
>the question is are these creatures really the embodied version of the Silenced Spirits Inola was talking about?<
I'm suggesting they're the dead relatives of the people whose land was stolen, as is written in Lost Memory.

>why Murphy?<
Is that really important? Lost Memories: Silent Hill Chronicle reads, "In the town of Silent Hill, those who shoulder the weight of their crimes and their own pasts gather. However, like Douglas, characters who happen to become involved for some reason or other have also come to appear. These characters, who hold no darkness in their hearts, come to fulfill the role of supporting the protagonist." Murphy, like Henry, can simply be a vehicle through which the story is told. Of course, I already think he's connected to Jonas Leek, so none of that matters.
Great theory Tom! So the Silent Spirits, the spirits of the original people who had their land taken, are the screamers and other creatures that haven't been revealed. I like that idea. But do they manifest themselves based on the protagonist's and other's pasts? I hope so.
TomWaltz
Just Passing Through

Post by TomWaltz »

One thing I should mention, SILENT HILL: PAST LIFE doesn't only link to DOWNPOUR. The events of PL also pre-date the other games, so there are links to the entire game canon... some specific (Reverend Stone) and others much more general (Inola's proclamation to Howard that the spirits are no longer silent).

I love that everyone continues to debate the story -- you guys rock!

Talk soon...

Tom Waltz
Tom Waltz
Senior Staff Writer / Editor
IDW Publishing
http://www.idwpublishing.com
David01
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by David01 »

TomWaltz wrote:One thing I should mention, SILENT HILL: PAST LIFE doesn't only link to DOWNPOUR. The events of PL also pre-date the other games, so there are links to the entire game canon... some specific (Reverend Stone) and others much more general (Inola's proclamation to Howard that the spirits are no longer silent).

I love that everyone continues to debate the story -- you guys rock!

Talk soon...

Tom Waltz
I'm liking what I"m hearing and seeing of this game so far. I just hope that this game isn't going to be predictable like Homecoming was, I want a game that I have to use my head to figure out ya know?

Tom Please tell us that this game won't be predictable as all hell like Homecoming was. Also I'm liking the screamers, and I'm also liking the theory put forth by my fellow fans in here.

Again I just hope that this game has a deep storyline that will get my emotions going. And maybe just maybe scare the living Sh*t out of me like the older games did to me back in the day.

I'm loving the environments that I"m seeing, and I'm liking the character models. However the running animation of Murphy looked kinda rough to me, but this is pre-alpha so hopefully this will be polished out.

I'm liking that you did your research on Silent Hill Tom, and I'm proud to say that you're a fellow fan. I will be looking forward to getting my hands on this game, and I"ve already read Past life, and I love it. How long did it take you to think out the storyline of Past life? Just out of curiosity of course.

Not trying to spoil anything, and I realize that you cannot tell us very much about teh storyline of the game. But are any of us at least close to being somewhat correct about the storyline? Or how about the Screamers, are we at least somewhat in the ballpark about their meaning and purpose?
The only way for evil to continue, is for good men to do nothing!!!!
SilentRobert23
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by SilentRobert23 »

stopped_clock wrote:The Screamers represent the bean sidhe (or Banshee), a mythical creature of celtic folklore who's deafening cry is a lament, signalling a death in the family. This death of course is that of Murphy's wife who died three years ago. His wife's maiden name was Cunningham, and throughout the game we will be repeatedly unable to save the coincidentally named officer Cunningham from various dangerous scenarios (such as the one seen in the demo) just as Murphy was unable to save his wife from that damned disease.

8)
Huh? Are you blind, or somethin'?
country matters
stopped_clock

Post by stopped_clock »

^Because the smiley is wearing sunglasses? Or because my theory is clearly, and purposefully, wrong?
Too cold to start a fire
And ride a pack of dogs
krakalackin
Gravedigger

Post by krakalackin »

^Just ignore him, what you wrote was obviously satire. Anyway...anymore thoughts about the screamers?
I personally hope the creatures' appearances are based off Murphy's mine, but I don't think they will be. I have a feeling, based off Past Life and Tom's theory, that the creatures in Downpour will be based on native American folklore.
stopped_clock

Post by stopped_clock »

krakalackin wrote:^Just ignore him, what you wrote was obviously satire.
He was quoting Laura from SH2, I was just too dumb to get the reference :oops:
Too cold to start a fire
And ride a pack of dogs
Lostkitsune

Post by Lostkitsune »

I really, really like this theory Tom. I wonder if Downpour monsters will all be connections from the past MIXED with Pendleton's experiences.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

A few things:

I was watching the E3 trailer for SILENT HILL: DOWNPOUR and noticed that when the Screamers appear, or at least the three Murphy is manhandled by, they simply come from the earth itself. The land, really.

Also, after watching said trailer and listening to Devin Shatsky and Tomm Hulett, they mention the [otherside] is connected with water, thus of course the term downpour.

Lost Memory reads, "By 'Spirits,' they meant not only their dead relatives, but also the spirits that they believed inhabited the trees, rocks and water around them."

Inola says, "[The fires] belong to this land . . . and to the spirits. They're done bein' silent now, postmaster, you know that as well as I do. The fires burn for them . . . for the spirits. And they've only just begun. . . ."

Someone remind me: What puts out fire again. . . ?

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
krakalackin
Gravedigger

Post by krakalackin »

^ Fire Extinguisher?! That means..downpour is just the project name and the next SH title is: Silent Hill: Extinguished. Genius! :P

That makes a lot of since. The gameplay I've seen where Murphy is in the diner and he starts a fire by trying to fix the leaking gas line. Murphy then hits the button for the sprinklers and as the fire is being put out and we see the first "otherworld" transition.
Your onto something Tom.
Lostkitsune

Post by Lostkitsune »

krakalackin wrote:^ Fire Extinguisher?! That means..downpour is just the project name and the next SH title is: Silent Hill: Extinguished. Genius! :P

That makes a lot of since. The gameplay I've seen where Murphy is in the diner and he starts a fire by trying to fix the leaking gas line. Murphy then hits the button for the sprinklers and as the fire is being put out and we see the first "otherworld" transition.
Your onto something Tom.
This all makes me think Murphy is an arsonist/framed for arson.
stopped_clock

Post by stopped_clock »

Lostkitsune wrote:
krakalackin wrote:^ Fire Extinguisher?! That means..downpour is just the project name and the next SH title is: Silent Hill: Extinguished. Genius! :P

Your onto something Tom.
This all makes me think Murphy is an arsonist/framed for arson.
If Murphy happened to be at the scene of a fire (or perhaps caused one unintentionally?) then maybe he went in to try and save people, the screamers could then represent the screams of people in a burning building, Murphy feels guilty for not being able to save them.

EDIT: Perhaps the reason that the screams paralyse Murphy is because, whilst he wanted to save people in the fire, he found himself frozen with fear and couldn't?
Too cold to start a fire
And ride a pack of dogs
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

Well, the game's out, and I've beaten it, and I can't really say one way or another if my theory is right, but I also can't say it's wrong. Personally, I think it's pretty good, and reasonable, to suggest the Screamers are the spirits of Silent Hill.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.