Are you expecting to be scared?

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

FLUXY
Just Passing Through

Post by FLUXY »

I jumped at the trailer, but those looked like cheap scares. I do want to be nerved, alone and creeped the hell out though.
[img]http://i49.tinypic.com/28c0dpv.jpg[/img]
lockhart
Just Passing Through

Post by lockhart »

i think i'll probably experience some sort of frightened sensations during the game; i just hope it's those lingering, nervy sort of feelings that stay with you after you've turned the game off. so, yes, i am expecting to be somewhat scared/disturbed/etc.
Subsistence
Just Passing Through

Post by Subsistence »

lockhart wrote:i think i'll probably experience some sort of frightened sensations during the game; i just hope it's those lingering, nervy sort of feelings that stay with you after you've turned the game off. so, yes, i am expecting to be somewhat scared/disturbed/etc.
lol yeah Silent Hlls really give you that lingering feeling of post-tramatic fear lol xD

But I haven't seen much of this after SH4 :((

I hope its makes a return....
"What the hell is this? >:| "

- Henry Townsend
_Drake_
Hope House Careworker

Post by _Drake_ »

I doubt I will be scared. I've just gained an extreme resistance of sorts to scary things in general over the past few years. Don't get me wrong, I can be unnerved and scared, it'll just require effort into the atmosphere and smart gameplay mechanics.

One game I found truly frightening at times, was Fatal Frame 1. In that game, enemies were randomly generated. You could never truly pin-point where and when a specific monster (ghost) was going to be. Every walkthrough, while the same in story and item placement, would be unique in how you'd encounter the ghosts and which ones you did encounter too.

It's something like that, that would make another Silent Hill, truly frightening. Never being able to tell when and where a monster would be. Different scenarios. Monsters always making noise, but you can never tell they are nearby until they are right next to you. A form of gameplay that combines the isolation felt in 2 and SM, with an impression of that your never truly alone. That danger is always around you, just not in view. Where every sound could be a possible deception. Where a straying shadow could either possibly lead to something or importance, or just be a distraction.

The possibilities, would be endless.

~Drake

"Oh it get's to me alright" - Vincent
My Silent Hill Fanfic, Silent Hill: Spiritual Dissonance
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

_Drake_ wrote:I doubt I will be scared. I've just gained an extreme resistance of sorts to scary things in general over the past few years. Don't get me wrong, I can be unnerved and scared, it'll just require effort into the atmosphere and smart gameplay mechanics.

One game I found truly frightening at times, was Fatal Frame 1. In that game, enemies were randomly generated. You could never truly pin-point where and when a specific monster (ghost) was going to be. Every walkthrough, while the same in story and item placement, would be unique in how you'd encounter the ghosts and which ones you did encounter too.

It's something like that, that would make another Silent Hill, truly frightening. Never being able to tell when and where a monster would be. Different scenarios. Monsters always making noise, but you can never tell they are nearby until they are right next to you. A form of gameplay that combines the isolation felt in 2 and SM, with an impression of that your never truly alone. That danger is always around you, just not in view. Where every sound could be a possible deception. Where a straying shadow could either possibly lead to something or importance, or just be a distraction.

The possibilities, would be endless.

~Drake
Hey look someone I can agree with. Honestly, I think quite a few games could benefit greatly from enemy encounters being way less scripted. L4D plays with that but it still feels kinda the same after awhile just due to the nature of the game. It could work reeeeaaaaaaaalllly well with SH.
Your weaboo is showing
EmilietheStrange
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by EmilietheStrange »

I'm not going to be actually scared of the game. A little nervous? Hopefully. I want to get that feeling that I'm in danger, when I may or may not be. For example, the room with the dead guy in front of the tv in SH2. After you see PH in the hall, the dead guy is there. When you come back through that room again, the music is different. I was all "Shit! Something terrible is in here with me!" when in fact there's never anything that can hurt you in that room.

I do NOT want pop out 'boo!' scares though. Those are lame.
Number 7
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by Number 7 »

I haven't really been scared since playing through Origins. Homecoming and SM had some creepy moments, but none that feared me with dread like the older titles.

Based on the new trailer, this game doesn't look that scary. Reminds me too much of Homecoming. I honestly think a big part of the fear in the originals was generated by the fantastic artistic and sound design, and both have been weak lately.
"He's underground now. His new name is Number Seven."
Subsistence
Just Passing Through

Post by Subsistence »

Number 7 wrote: Based on the new trailer, this game doesn't look that scary. Reminds me too much of Homecoming. I honestly think a big part of the fear in the originals was generated by the fantastic artistic and sound design, and both have been weak lately.
Yah, the graphics are similar but the devs are saying it is like nothing we ever seen before. Like it's some fusion between SH2 and Homecoming. But heres hoping it doesn't end up like Homecoming.
"What the hell is this? >:| "

- Henry Townsend
in zero
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by in zero »

SH3 was the last game to "scare" me, so no I don't expect SH8 to do so. SH2 put me on edge the best. The giant, empty, pitch-black room with the gallows and all the weird ass sounds at the end of the prison is actually what legitimately got me the most, and there wasn't even anything dangerous in the room!
saevitia
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by saevitia »

Yes, I'm expecting to be scared, possibly because I'm extremely easy to creep out. S1, 2, 3 and the Room all still have parts that scare me. The only one so far that I've played that hasn't scared me was Shattered Memories (which was still awesome).
sh#1fan
Historical Society Historian

Post by sh#1fan »

Diabolic Dreams wrote:I'm not expecting to be actually scarred like I was with the first few SH games. Being older and playing a ton of horror games has somewhat dulled my senses. I may get anxious a few times or a bit jumpy. I do hope SH8 will be the first game in a long while to give me that feeling again.
Exactly~
Games... All games just dont scare me anymore. I remember playing SH and not being able to sleep for days after i won it. Then theres 2 where I could not sleep for a month after i won it lmao.

Im also really hoping that sh8 brings back those feelings of true terror again... but i wont hold my breath.
oO?
Silent One
Gravedigger

Post by Silent One »

I'm easily startled and atmosphere can make my nerves rattle easily. That said it depends on how they conduct the game. From what little we've seen it's hard to tell.
sumcaker
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by sumcaker »

Well, I was tense and a bit frightened when playing all the other SH games I've played, and I was using a walkthrough, so I hope this one scares the B jebus outa me.
^^
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

Have you playe Alan Wake? sh#1fan, it's a great Silent Hill-like game recently released. It's very atmospheric and focuses on psychological horror.
Silent One
Gravedigger

Post by Silent One »

simeonalo wrote:Have you playe Alan Wake? sh#1fan, it's a great Silent Hill-like game recently released. It's very atmospheric and focuses on psychological horror.
It is a great game and interesting story, but as far as being scared the best you're going to get is one of the guys poping out of nowhere and smack you in the head.

I do always jump pretty good when I hit one of those bear traps though. I think it's the sudden load sound that I wasn't expecting. :oops:
SPRINGS02
Location: i'm sick of these monkey fighting snakes on this monday to friday plane.

Post by SPRINGS02 »

Im not really expecting to be scared, but i really want the game to scare me. silent hill 2 3 and 4 were the only silent hill games to scare me, after that i felt that they took a serious dive in scariness and tension that the other silent hill games had, and they stopped being as abstract IMO. TO me the trailer looks a little generic but im gonna have to wait and see.
warfare315
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by warfare315 »

SPRINGS02 wrote:Im not really expecting to be scared, but i really want the game to scare me. silent hill 2 3 and 4 were the only silent hill games to scare me, after that i felt that they took a serious dive in scariness and tension that the other silent hill games had, and they stopped being as abstract IMO. TO me the trailer looks a little generic but im gonna have to wait and see.
I thought so too. Hopefully it looks generic because they want to keep everything good a surprise instead of ruining it. At this point, I don't have high expectations for the game, but definitely very high hopes.
Another frequency perpetuated into context, trapped in the eternal paradox.
vaporeyesofficial.bandcamp.com
Facebook.com/vaporeyesofficial
Csilent Ihill
Just Passing Through

Post by Csilent Ihill »

I'm not expecting to be as strongly scared and totally mesmerized as I was in SH1-3, because that will most likely never happen again. Also, having watched hundreds and hundreds of horror films since early childhood have somewhat dulled my senses. But [REC] did scare me, and so did the excellent remake of THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT, and CONDEMNED was oppressively effective. And SH1-3 during "proper circumstances" (headphones, loud volume, nighthours, alone) are obviously still going strong (yet there is always that original experience that often cannot be surpassed)... so an upcoming SH game might still scare me at this time.

SH4 was a good game but as you all know Silent Hill's immensity of fear and dread was more replaced by excitment and the occasional slight of eeriness. HOMECOMING was also a good game, but the strong lack of dread and isolation was among other things caused by an out of placed Wheeler and frequently encountered characters and too much darkness that got more irritating than scary.

I wish to experience that awful dread, that oppressive isolation, that strong vulnerability again... Less characters and less encounters with characters; I want to be alone and when I no longer want to be alone and want to meet someone, then I reluctantly continue to be on my own... and then, when I least expect it and I'm feeling all screwed up, then I'll meet a (seemingly) friendly face and a brief moment of comfort is surfaced. I also want the surroundings to creep me out and to make me insecure, despite the seemingly absense of no enemies around, and ominous, well-developed puzzles that somewhat has a connection to the plot are much appreciated.

More importantly, I don't want to feel that superior like I too often did with Alex, and the enemies should not be appeared as "obstacles" like they tended to in HOMECOMING; I want to feel like a "tank" again, an average person on edge without combat experience, and I'd like to fight the enemies with both joy and reluctance without those "obstacle" tendencies.
Yeah, well... that is just like, ah, your opinion, man.
Mr Negative
Just Passing Through

Post by Mr Negative »

Alan Wake is jumpy, but it certainly not scary. The ghosts will jump at you anytime when your in the Darkness, you also know when your ging to get attacked, a wierd sound plays then it goes slow motion and you see the ghost about to plonk you on the head.

I would want Silent Hill 8 to have some scares but i prefer it to be more tens, creepy and get atmosphere.

Homecoming's first level was kind of tense, the only creepy part was the baby crying when you reach for the Robbie Rabbit in the hole. The sewers were just annoying.
Severeth
Gravedigger

Post by Severeth »

I was a little nervous on Homecoming when I was in Silent Hill. All the fog and shit really got to me during my first playthrough.

I wasn't really all that scared by SH's 2, 3, 0 or SM. But I still love them all greatly.

I hope to be scared like I was on my first playthrough of SH4 (which even prompted me to switch the game off once or twice.)
I have a Youtube account where I sometimes post SH related videos. www.youtube.com/user/severeth

http://www.last.fm/user/Severeth