Gathering loose ends?

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

lain of the wired wrote:
simeonalo, in another thread, wrote:Yes, but who knows if Heather obtains her natural powers after the events of SH3? That would be an interesting lead into a new story, possibly, because God has slumbered inside of her, so who's to say that her powers don't slumber in her, but haven't "awaken" (necessarily) yet?
Gave me an idea- what if the protagonist (who/whatever they are) met present day Heather at some point in the game? I think it might be interesting to see this answered, actually.
I can't really say I see too much wrong with that idea, but it just feels so unnecessary. Alessa/Cherly/Heather was been through quite enough. I'd like her story to be done with and the series to move on. A supporting cast role or a cameo wouldn't be OMG THE WORST THING EVER, but it would just feel unneeded to me. It would also feel like they are claiming "this is what happened" canon license. I think current games should leave the originals characters and canon alone and focus on their own stories, without deciding "what happened next". Just my opinion, though.
lain of the wired
Historical Society Historian
Location: Is this not Eorzea? Where the hell was that exit...?

Post by lain of the wired »

Hmmm... yeah, maybe it's best left to the imagination of the players. I guess while reading simeonalo's post, I got this image of her fighting along side you, doing, like, psychic shields ala The Incredibles and stuff, and my brain got stuck on the awesome. You're right, though- the ending for her was probably the best way they could have left it.

Doesn't mean I'm not curious about what happened to her, but perhaps that was the point?
You'll be missed. You were missed. I am missing you.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

[I guess while reading simeonalo's post, I got this image of her fighting along side you, doing, like, psychic shields ala The Incredibles and stuff, and my brain got stuck on the awesome.
As awesome as that might be in any other property, let's admit it: That would totally ruin everything Silent Hill is about.
Doesn't mean I'm not curious about what happened to her, but perhaps that was the point?
Lain, pay attention, she goes on to be a single mother with two kids. :P
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
LSSJGamer
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by LSSJGamer »

Oh yeah... having every single main character come together for 1 big brawl against a boss of some kind.. epic. I mean.. Harry would be a zombie or something... or a time machine will get him there. They would all fight God Clown... a terrible being who could destroy the universe just by farting... yet they somehow win... nice.

I say just leave the series well enough alone. Part of the fun is choosing the ending you like best and believing that is the real ending. Well except for SH1 where we know what ending happened, personally I like the bad ending, it makes the most sense. When I saw it i was like ZOMG so THAT explains everything!
*Insert Legendary signature here*
alone in the town

Post by alone in the town »

NanayaShiki wrote:
alone in the town wrote:I bet it's not The Shining.
It's not. I know, I read the book. ;)
It is in the book, though not in the same form as used in Kubrick's cinematic adaptation.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

alone in the town wrote:
NanayaShiki wrote:
alone in the town wrote:I bet it's not The Shining.
It's not. I know, I read the book. ;)
It is in the book, though not in the same form as used in Kubrick's cinematic adaptation.
Really? I don't remember that line being there at all. But, yeah, I still had to say something to appease my cynical "lolmoviesucks" viewpoint on The Shining.
ShadowBaby
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by ShadowBaby »

LSSJGamer wrote:Oh yeah... having every single main character come together for 1 big brawl against a boss of some kind.. epic.
New from Konami and Capcom ... Silent Hill Smash Brawl!

I can see that happening.

It would be kinda cool to see Heather in passing. For instance, the new protag passes her in the grocery store on his way to Silent Hill, or something; she's buying beef jerky. Nothing pivotal, just a quick cameo. Like Travis in Homecoming. (though he had a slightly bigger role in that game, didn't he? I have yet to actually play that one.)
I'm currently out in search of myself. If I happen come come back before I return, please ask me to wait for myself.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

NanayaShiki wrote:
alone in the town wrote:
NanayaShiki wrote: It's not. I know, I read the book. ;)
Really? I don't remember that line being there at all. But, yeah, I still had to say something to appease my cynical "lolmoviesucks" viewpoint on The Shining.
Like it or not, it's pretty much one of the most iconic scenes in Stephen King history.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

Worst idea ever?
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
alone in the town

NanayaShiki wrote:Really? I don't remember that line being there at all. But, yeah, I still had to say something to appease my cynical "lolmoviesucks" viewpoint on The Shining.
I agree, the movie makes a total mockery of the source material. The line is in the book, though, and it is not used in any connection to D. Grady's twin daughters. It's in the chapter where Danny goes out to play in the playground after the snow has fallen.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

AuraTwilight wrote: Like it or not, it's pretty much one of the most iconic scenes in Stephen King history.
Not really. Anyone that grew up reading Stephen King would probably think of countless things before a scene only from a movie adaptation of one of the books. Of course, there are a lot of people that saw the movie and didn't read any of his books, but the majority of them tend to think of Kubrick rather than King.
alone in the town wrote: I agree, the movie makes a total mockery of the source material. The line is in the book, though, and it is not used in any connection to D. Grady's twin daughters. It's in the chapter where Danny goes out to play in the playground after the snow has fallen.
I remember the chapter, and I remember something happening, I just didn't remember it being that line. I've been meaning to read that book again some time.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Not really. Anyone that grew up reading Stephen King would probably think of countless things before a scene only from a movie adaptation of one of the books. Of course, there are a lot of people that saw the movie and didn't read any of his books, but the majority of them tend to think of Kubrick rather than King.
What makes something iconic is moreso public perception moreso than the die-hard readers and such. I've read the books, too, but it doesn't change the fact that everyone instantly thinks of The Shining when they see that scene from the movie, and why it's often parodied.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

Oh, I know. I get that. I just don't think that scene really counts as a scene in Stephen King history. Those that read the books know it isn't there and most of the people that didn't read the book credit The Shining to Kubrick rather than King. I get what you are saying, though.
Numb Body01

Post by Numb Body01 »

I'm so god-damned tired of the Shining bashing that goes on these days. I haven't read the book myself, and I don't doubt that it's better than the film, but the film in it's own right is a masterpiece of horror film-making.
Music created by the fans, for the fans. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Phantom Allure

Post by Phantom Allure »

lain of the wired wrote:Hmmm... yeah, maybe it's best left to the imagination of the players. I guess while reading simeonalo's post, I got this image of her fighting along side you, doing, like, psychic shields ala The Incredibles and stuff, and my brain got stuck on the awesome. You're right, though- the ending for her was probably the best way they could have left it.

What the premise of Heather returning reminded me of was the protagonist of Fatal Frame 1 being featured as a supporting character in Fatal Frame 3.
[url=http://www.marvindmartian.deviantart.com]Deviantart account[/url]
[url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8271]My SH fanfic novel[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6642]Monster design set 1[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6974]Monster design set 2[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7970]Monster design set 3[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7213]Bosses design[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6446&start=30]Commission design[/url] l [url=http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7463]Manga sample pages[/url]
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

Numb Body01 wrote:I'm so god-damned tired of the Shining bashing that goes on these days. I haven't read the book myself, and I don't doubt that it's better than the film, but the film in it's own right is a masterpiece of horror film-making.
Nobody was bashing it. The fact of the matter is the movie disgraces the source material. It's not about which is better. The movie changed the eventual story, events, characters, motivation, outcome, theme, tone, ect. and had it's own things added in replacement. I doubt many would deny it is a well made movie, but it fails miserably as an adaptation, and The Shining book was something I loved when I was younger a lot, so I quite disliked what the movie did with it.

There is a clear difference between bashing something and saying you don't like it.
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

it was at least a good movie i read stephan king and HATED what they did with alot the the movies the worst by far had to be Salem's lot i nearly cryed
alone in the town

I don't even think it was a very good movie, regardless of the quality of adaptation. It got the atmosphere down, certainly, but the script was something less than good and the acting was, quite frankly, god-awful. Also, I'm curious as to how half of the movie is even comprehensible without having first read the book, since it follows the same basic path but cuts out probably three-quarters of the actual material.
ww_andi
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by ww_andi »

and the villain my god what did they do

on topic this is a unneeded idea entirely not only do i think its a bad idea but it simply seems redundant to what the games are and what they offer

silent hill should have game specific stories i dont mind a occasional revisit of a characters story but lets try to limit it i dont want three or more games with Jill Valentine i mean Henry Townsend
HarleyQuinnofHate
Just Passing Through

Post by HarleyQuinnofHate »

I completely agree with all of you, it is a completely horrible idea, and even after he read this thread, he still thinks everyone would love it. He will never learn...

I did however get the best laugh out of
LSSJGamer wrote:Oh yeah... having every single main character come together for 1 big brawl against a boss of some kind.. epic. I mean.. Harry would be a zombie or something... or a time machine will get him there. They would all fight God Clown... a terrible being who could destroy the universe just by farting... yet they somehow win... nice.
I am surprised though that no one agreed, I mean the Silent Hill forums do sometimes have some of the weirdest and off the wall theories and some people just go on for the ride.

Thanks for all your input. :D