54%
Great!
46%

Total votes: 61

Daisukenojo
My Bestsellers Clerk

Silent Hill Meets Heavy Rain?

Post by Daisukenojo »

I don't know if this belongs here, go ahead and lock it if needed,but...
What if Silent Hill 6 had a storyline that could be literally completely changed, by one little action. I don't mean like Shattered Memories change, like story, enemies, locations, characters, Otherworld, almost everything! And no, I don't mean Silent Hill, quick time event edition, I mean like actions as in pick what to say like Homecoming, but unlike Homecoming (most of the time) I want your actions to actually do something! I want a hell of a lot of replay value!
What do you guys think?
[quote="Catch22"]Wait, wasn't the guy in the trailer wearing a shirt? You know who else wore a shirt? Hitler.

Hitler confirmed as SH6 protagonist.[/quote]
sorata
Gravedigger

Post by sorata »

I sort of understand where you're coming from, but your actions in the previous SH games did do something though. The endings do change according how you handle some of the situations.

I like the idea though, just not sure how is that going to work with the SH series, as the storyline of SH is generally fairly linear. That being said, despite all the options of Heavy Rain, the story itself was fairly linear as well.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
It's not like the murderer would change if you select different options, which is one of my major disappointment to the game
Last edited by sorata on 28 Apr 2010, edited 1 time in total.
simeonalo
Historical Society Historian

Post by simeonalo »

What's up with all these ideas threads popping up? IMO, I would post my ideas in the other thread located in General Discussion :?
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

To be fair, that thread really should be moved here. You can't really blame people that don't see a general idea thread in the section for the game they are talking about.
Daisukenojo
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Daisukenojo »

^Well I did it cause everyone else was!
[quote="Catch22"]Wait, wasn't the guy in the trailer wearing a shirt? You know who else wore a shirt? Hitler.

Hitler confirmed as SH6 protagonist.[/quote]
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

NanayaShiki wrote:To be fair, that thread really should be moved here. You can't really blame people that don't see a general idea thread in the section for the game they are talking about.
The idea of renaming it to Silent Hill 7 ideas sounds great, but it could also be moved here in the new section as well.
Last edited by simeonalo on 28 Apr 2010, edited 1 time in total.
Kenji

Post by Kenji »

Hmm... how to answer this...

Of course, a Silent Hill game where the character's actions mean something and alter the course of the story is welcome. I loved Shattered Memories's psych profile and would like to see more of that.

That said, I don't really want to see a BioWare dialogue tree. Not that such a thing couldn't be useful, but missing out on facts just because I didn't choose the right thing to say... that could be problematic.

All that said, the way Heavy Rain did things was wrong. Contrary to the hype, most of your decisions really didn't matter and it was only a handful that made any real difference to how the game turned out. I don't want that. I'd also rather Heavy Rain keep its pretentiousness to itself.
kideatsu
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by kideatsu »

I like this idea and believe it would really do the series some good to try new ideas. Because the new paths the team behind Shattered Memories took so well with that genre and type of game, I believe even further changes for a longer game would be prime meat. Tasty too.
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

simeonalo wrote:
NanayaShiki wrote:To be fair, that thread really should be moved here. You can't really blame people that don't see a general idea thread in the section for the game they are talking about.
I said that, but the idea of renaming it to SH7 won me over a bit, though I'm on this side a little big more.
I... have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm just saying we should move that thread over here now since the next SH has a section. Since they haven't, we can't blame people that put their ideas in their own topics instead of a topic that isn't in this section. What we call the game has nothing to do with it.
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

As far as the storyline is concerned, Shattered Memories showed me that dynamics isn't necessarily a good thing. Just looking at the forums, you can see that we can't even come to some solid conclusion without someone else popping in to say that what she got was different. ARGH! I HATE CLIMAX'S GUTS!

Sorry...

I would much prefer one strong, coherent storyline than multiple weak ones. I actually think the original Silent Hill got it right with the side missions. They offer you some extra pieces to the plot. Now that's something I would replay a game for.

And, the storyline is so hard "to get" right for Silent Hill. (Any developer who says "they got it" just don't know what they're talking about... Climax...) I would imagine writing even one good storyline would be a feat in itself.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

There are no "multiple weak" storylines in Shattered Memories. They're all implied to be part of a same continuous, multifaceted whole at many points.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
NanayaShiki

Post by NanayaShiki »

Burning Man wrote: And, the storyline is so hard "to get" right for Silent Hill. (Any developer who says "they got it" just don't know what they're talking about... Climax...)
That's an odd thing to say, consider Climax are the ones that said something to the effect of we should stop thinking we know Silent Hill. They weren't saying "we know SH better than you", they were saying "the moment you feel you completely understand Silent Hill, you missed the point and you are wrong".

Plus, as AT said, there are not any weak storylines in Shattered Memories. So it sounds to me like you just didn't like SM and are making things up to make Climax seem like some ultimate evil in the development of SH, when really they ARE the closest people who have "gotten the point" of what the series originally was.
Burning Man

Post by Burning Man »

NanayaShiki wrote:That's an odd thing to say, consider Climax are the ones that said something to the effect of we should stop thinking we know Silent Hill. They weren't saying "we know SH better than you", they were saying "the moment you feel you completely understand Silent Hill, you missed the point and you are wrong".
Not quite. Climax is addressing the Silent Hill mythos with that statement, but they believe that they "got it" with Origins and Shattered Memories. They're quite proud of their creation.
Plus, as AT said, there are not any weak storylines in Shattered Memories.
That's a matter of opinion.
So it sounds to me like you just didn't like SM and are making things up to make Climax seem like some ultimate evil in the development of SH, when really they ARE the closest people who have "gotten the point" of what the series originally was.
On the contrary, I liked SM fine. It was kind of like Silent Hill 4 -The Room- reversed, though. SH4 had decent story but awkward gameplay. SM, on the other hand, had fun gameplay, but the direction of the story was poor, in my opinion. The core story wasn't too bad, but its incoherence made it difficult to come to any sane conclusion.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
simeonalo

Post by simeonalo »

NanayaShiki wrote:
simeonalo wrote:
I said that, but the idea of renaming it to SH7 won me over a bit, though I'm on this side a little big more.
I... have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm just saying we should move that thread over here now since the next SH has a section. Since they haven't, we can't blame people that put their ideas in their own topics instead of a topic that isn't in this section. What we call the game has nothing to do with it.
A miswording (what's up with my English lately? I've been hanging around my Filipino ancestors for the past month).

I meant, It could be renamed SH7 ideas, or it could be moved to this section, though both are fine with me.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Not quite. Climax is addressing the Silent Hill mythos with that statement, but they believe that they "got it" with Origins and Shattered Memories. They're quite proud of their creation.
I would hope they'd be proud of their creations. They're flawed, but they got praise for a reason.
SM, on the other hand, had fun gameplay, but the direction of the story was poor, in my opinion. The core story wasn't too bad, but its incoherence made it difficult to come to any sane conclusion.
It's only really incoherent on the first few runs. Part of the genius is that shit clicks together when you play with knowledge of what's to come.

That, and the storyteller is fucking bonkers.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Silent One
Gravedigger

Re: Silent Hill Meets Heavy Rain?

Post by Silent One »

Daisukenojo wrote:I don't know if this belongs here, go ahead and lock it if needed,but...
What if Silent Hill 6 had a storyline that could be literally completely changed, by one little action. I don't mean like Shattered Memories change, like story, enemies, locations, characters, Otherworld, almost everything! And no, I don't mean Silent Hill, quick time event edition, I mean like actions as in pick what to say like Homecoming, but unlike Homecoming (most of the time) I want your actions to actually do something! I want a hell of a lot of replay value!
What do you guys think?
I voted great in the sense of what your explaining here. Choices and actions that can alter the story,characters,otherworld,etc would be nice.

Keep it on a slightly subtle level though like in SH2 where your actions affected the ending, but on your first play though you may not have been able to guess that.
Catch22
Subway Guard

Post by Catch22 »

The makers of Heavy Rain failed, in my opinion, to offer up anything of real value. So no, I would hate for Silent Hill to take that route.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

I'd rather get a Silent Hill game like Mass Effect. . .
sorata
Gravedigger

Post by sorata »

And I'd rather get a Silent Hill game like Silent Hill.
Mephisto

Post by Mephisto »

You know I wasn't talking about gameplay. I was talking about the choices you can make. That's all.