Best case scenario

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

syntheticlung
My Bestsellers Clerk

Best case scenario

Post by syntheticlung »

So, there is a lot of worrying about what is essentially a vague description of an unnamed game, and a developer name. So I thought why not try and Imagine the best thing that could happen with this project.

I personally would like this to be a brand new title that doesn't need to tie it's self to the mythos of Silent Hill (and potentially disappoint us). I think this was Double Helix's mistake, as if Homecoming wasn't a Silent Hill game, people wouldn't have had the same automatic expectations of the conventions of a Silent Hill game, giving it a chance to start a fresh new franchise with new priorities in it's method of development.

Anyway, anyone else care to share their best case scenario for this game?
Prisonic Fairytale
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Prisonic Fairytale »

So you want the new Silent Hill to not be a Silent Hill at all?
syntheticlung
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by syntheticlung »

Has there been any official announcement that it is in fact a Silent Hill title?
Prisonic Fairytale
Cafe5to2 Waitress

I thought there was..
redrum
Brookhaven Receptionist

Post by redrum »

Hell Descent contacted Konami about the teaser and Konami replied with a "Stay tuned" message, so it IS Silent Hill
Falconv1.0
Gravedigger

Post by Falconv1.0 »

Pretty much every site said SILENT HILL not MIGHT BE Silent Hill dude.
Your weaboo is showing
syntheticlung
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by syntheticlung »

Joystiq wrote: Konami's Gamers Night 2010 presentation concluded with a nice surprise: A teaser trailer for what could only be a new Silent Hill game.
"Could only be" isn't concrete, but I didn't say it had to be Occam's Razor.
Prisonic Fairytale
Cafe5to2 Waitress

syntheticlung wrote:
Joystiq wrote: Konami's Gamers Night 2010 presentation concluded with a nice surprise: A teaser trailer for what could only be a new Silent Hill game.
"Could only be" isn't concrete, but I didn't say it had to be Occam's Razor.
"Could only be" means that it couldn't be anything else.
syntheticlung
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by syntheticlung »

You're missing the point. What do you want it to be, even if what you want isn't likely.
Last edited by syntheticlung on 10 Apr 2010, edited 2 times in total.
saevitia
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by saevitia »

Yeah, it's a Silent Hill game. LOL

I do hope they bring something fresh to the series though; while staying true to the overall feel/nature of the games.
syntheticlung
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by syntheticlung »

FFS
Prisonic Fairytale
Cafe5to2 Waitress

saevitia wrote:Yeah, it's a Silent Hill game. LOL

I do hope they bring something fresh to the series though; while staying true to the overall feel/nature of the games.
This is what I am thinking.
Nyarlathotep
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by Nyarlathotep »

I just want it to be a sequel along the same lines of Silent Hill 4: The Room and Silent Hill: Homecoming. Mostly stand alone stories that still sort of build upon the overall mythology.

I'm not a fan of reimaginings, so I hope this isn't another SM deal.
True
Just Passing Through

Post by True »

Aww c'mon, no more people want a remake of SH2? =[
I think it'd look great on a 360 or PS3 with shiny graphics, with less awkward dialog. Not a re-imagining, mind you. (Though I like the idea, but I'm more for a remake myself.) Though if they changed too much it might suck, but who knows for sure until they try it... ? I don't think a remake/re-imaging is going to hurt the original game. I know it's an awesome game, and everyone loves it and so on, (my favorite, BTW ) buuut yeah, I'm just saying.
Just as long if it's not another Silent Hill Homecoming, I'm good.
saevitia
Woodside Apartments Janitor

Post by saevitia »

True, think some people (me included) hold SH2 in such high esteem they're afraid to let anybody touch it with a ten foot pole. Sure, a straight remake might be nice if you're into super shiny graphics (I personally don't care, but meh), but the fear is there that they won't be able to stop themselves from trying to 'improve' the game in other ways.
DistantJ
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by DistantJ »

Worrying? I'm not worried. Double Helix and Climax have already done great and interesting things with the series, I'm sure another developer can make something cool too. One thing we do have to accept though is that Silent Hill, while originally a 'connoisseur's game' as it was recently called, has become as much of a pop horror franchise as Halloween or Friday the 13th or SAW now, and we are never going to have another Silent Hill 2. What we can do, however, is enjoy returning to the amazing world and atmosphere, and seeing it taken to a whole bunch of different territories.

True, I would buy into a remake of SH2, I just think that a lot of people are worried about how much it'd degrade the original if it wasn't absolutely amazing.

I'd like a game which looks and plays like Homecoming, but is a little more subtle and unconventional with it's scares. Homecoming was scary as hell for sure but not quite in the same way Silent Hill 2 and 3 were. We're really jaded as well, so I'd like them to perhaps try a bunch of new ways of scaring us rather than do the same things as usual.

But whatever happens I love the world of Silent Hill and so I'm excited about this game and will enjoy it. :)
Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song, and there's always music in the air.
cascade88
Historical Society Historian

Post by cascade88 »

>.> I don't fear that they'd ruin SH2 with a remake. I just find it completely unneccesary. To a point, one can argue that SH1's reimagining was called for, whether it had been what it ultimately was, or just a flat-out remake, because it did come out all the back on the PSONE. Silent Hill 2 is old, but not that old, and I'd much rather them use their money, resources and time to bring us a brand new story.
єเภ ןє๔єг єภﻮєl เรt รςђгєςкlเςђ
syntheticlung
My Bestsellers Clerk

Post by syntheticlung »

True wrote:Aww c'mon, no more people want a remake of SH2? =[
I think it'd look great on a 360 or PS3 with shiny graphics, with less awkward dialog.
The awkward dialogue gave a further feeling of alienation, I really liked it even if it wasn't intentional. That and I really don't want another game with Pyramid Head.

I would like to see a game that sacrifices large, shiny, pretty, areas, with confined spaces and thick, THICK, fog, along with only a few realistic characters (no daring hero types) to create a real sense of loneliness, helplessness and solitary confinement.

Of course the confined areas they do make could be extra pretty.
Last edited by syntheticlung on 11 Apr 2010, edited 1 time in total.
True
Just Passing Through

Post by True »

Yeah, I don't put graphics in front of a good storyline. If it has a sucky plot, it's not going to make it at all IMO. I do agree with you, hopefully they won't go too far with changing things around and keep to the feel of the past games. SH2 was good at the darkness of the plot, for a lack of better phrase. I'm sure you know what I mean. =P

EDIT: @ syntheticlung - Now I'm not saying that the game should turn into a Resident Evil 5 or something (it wasn't all that great in fact), I'm just saying a remake with touched up graphics with the same plot and everything would be alright for me anyways. And well, I guess the awkward dialog does kinda fit in with the situation/plot of the game. Though a few parts of dialog still could kinda be worked on.
Last edited by True on 11 Apr 2010, edited 2 times in total.
Thanatos
Just Passing Through

Post by Thanatos »

It will be called "Silent Hill: Lost trust" and in the game you`ll be on a journey to find a lost boy named Akira.

Oh, and you have to slash countless fanboy-monsters on your way.