Homecoming vs Downpour

Murphy's been a bad boy ...

Moderator: Moderators

Skele
Subway Guard

Re: Homecoming vs Downpour

Post by Skele »

The Adversary wrote: 28 Mar 2023 >"Pendleton *awkward long pause*........... Get on the bus!"<
That was incredibly clunky. Like, what was she getting at there?

After having not played either since they were released, and relying solely on playthroughs, I think I now prefer HOMECOMING over DOWNPOUR, though that's primarily because I delved into the chronology of DOWNPOUR and got nowhere with it. And I'm not sure why they put Silent Hill in the same zip code as parts of southern Portland, Maine/Cape Elizabeth. It doesn't make sense that Harry would move to hide from the Order in a city that's only a few miles away. Silent Hill should be in the more northern region.

I'm also still irritated at the final levels of DOWNPOUR and how many times I died just trying to get to the final boss. Only to find the final boss be easily the worst in the series.

My main complaint at the time of HOMECOMING was the combat. I don't care about quick moves and action. Just let me play the game for the story, please.
Haha, yeah even the letsplayer (mapocolops) just busted out laughing.

I will admit that Downpour is a slightly better game than I gave it credit for and I can see why one might enjoy it. After seeing the same letsplayer take on Homecoming, I understood why people hated the game's combat. If you're not a fan of the action, or don't grasp it well, it's just a big turn off. And yeah, that final boss was underwhelming.
NanayaShiki
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator
SHH Cult & SHHF Moderator

Post by NanayaShiki »

I still intend to replay both of these games and I was going to take some screenshots and video of Downpour for the site so when I get to that I will look for any distance signs.
Jonipoon
Subway Guard

Post by Jonipoon »

Interestingly, Downpour seems to have a very large separate fanbase, something which Homecoming hasn't. I know this because I'm getting so much hate on my YouTube video where people harass me for giving Downpour a low rating.
I EAT GALAXIES FOR BREAKFAST.
leftshoe18
Rosewater Park Attendant

Post by leftshoe18 »

Downpour is my favorite game but I couldn't imagine harassing somebody over their opinion on it. People suck.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

leftshoe18 wrote: 08 Apr 2023 Downpour is my favorite game but I couldn't imagine harassing somebody over their opinion on it. People suck.
Should have been around when SILENT HILL 2 was released. I was getting death threats on AIM from people who disagreed with my theories.

Ah the good ol' days.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.
Burning Man
Historical Society Historian

Post by Burning Man »

Homecoming hits home for me because it's the only Silent Hill game that potentially deals with being an honorably discharged soldier and its psychological ramifications. Needless to say, I didn't appreciate the plot twist much, but it is still the closest Silent Hill game to tackle the subject.

I appreciated Downpour for trying to be grounded in reality since Silent Hill 2. Downpour story's resolution did feel a bit incomplete to me despite it having the most ending variations in the series. I guess being grounded in reality would mean there would be some loose ends.
© 2003-2022 Burning Man.
The contents of this post may only be used within the boundaries of www.silenthillforum.com.
Any usage outside of the aforementioned forum is strictly prohibited.
The Adversary
RESPECT

Post by The Adversary »

>Needless to say, I didn't appreciate the plot twist much<
I feel like SILENT HILL: HOMECOMING would have been better off if the twist wasn't even a twist. That Josh was ultimately sacrificed and nothing happened to Shepherd's Glen.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.