What does Cybil represent?

Ten years after the original game and Harry's still searching for his daughter.

Moderator: Moderators

AuraTwilight
Historical Society Historian

Re: What does Cybil represent?

Post by AuraTwilight »

But how does that work, considering Cheryl already knows everything?
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Miette
Just Passing Through

Post by Miette »

Cheryl doesn't know everything. The whole basis of the game was Cheryl trying to figure out who her dad was. That's what I meant by curiosity and growing knowledge.
If the children don't grow up, our bodies get bigger but our hearts get torn up.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

No, she does know everything. She's LYING TO HERSELF. That's the whole reason she's in therapy. Otherwise you have to make up some fanwank about how she's telepathically drawing information out of nowhere, since Harry is walking around inside her head.
[quote="BlackFire2"]I thought he meant the special powers of her vagina.[/quote]
Hexagram
Just Passing Through

Post by Hexagram »

Cheryl is essentially drawing information from Kaufman. And Harry is drawing information from Cybil. The similarities in the two characters pushing the characters forward is hard to ignore as just fan-theory coincidence.

Every time Cybil tries to present the truth the world is frozen over... In the wheelchair she tries to tell him, when Lisa dies she screams out the truth, but Cheryl denies what Cybil has to say because she is denying what Kaufman has to say.

I do believe Cybil is her rational side but I believe the presence of Kaufman is encouraging her rational side and is helping Cybil become Harry's guide towards the truth.
SilentWren

Post by SilentWren »

^I'm gonna hafta agree with that.
Especially considering she's the one who "hands over the reports" right before "Harry" goes into the "lighthouse."

Quotes were easier than spoiler tags.
The above user visits this forum *very infrequently.* If you need any type of response or answer from her, she may or may not be able to provide it in a timely manner.

Thank you for understanding. <3

http://silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 28#p674128
Joseph
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Joseph »

I think the whole Silent Hill city at SM represents Cheryl's psychism.
Since Cybil is the one who secures this city, I believe it's Cheryl's aspect of mind that tries to keep her away from the truth in order to keep "Silent Hill" forever alive inside her. The most basic line she says is "I've been a police officer for 20 years [Cheryl's age!] and I've never seen anything like that [the snow]"
So is the snow representing Cheryl's effort to 'freeze' her imaginations along with her father's memories and keep them at peace inside her? And if 'yes', then is Cybil the one who tries to secure the place from the 'snow', but in the end surrenders at Cheryl's aspect of mind that wants to reveal the truth and does no longer resist to Harry's want?
http://twitter.com/quieterworlds
Forget it, Jake. This is Chinatown.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

The thing is, never once does Cybil ever do anything to protect Cheryl's delusions.
Joseph
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Joseph »

AuraTwilight wrote:The thing is, never once does Cybil ever do anything to protect Cheryl's delusions.
She arrests Harry. She threatens him with a gun. She is a resident of the "city" and its "protector" as well. If you look closely, only at the end does she actually help Harry to reach the truth-the lighthouse.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

So...again, how does any of that protect Cheryl's delusions in any way?

And she does help Harry reach the truth several times in the form of information. It's just she keeps getting interrupted.
Joseph
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by Joseph »

She tries to keep him in the car.
She doesn't listen to a word he's saying after Lisa's death and tries to arrest him.
She gets him to the hospital and again asks him not to leave

Only at the lighthouse, and under the menace of a gun, does she really accept his sayings.
AuraTwilight

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yea, AND? She doesn't have to accept what he's saying to protect Cheryl's delusions.

She tells him to stay put in the car, but it's implied that Cheryl kept her from returning to him; not really Cybil doing anything to proactively protect things.

She tries to arrest him, but she was going to tell him the truth if she wasn't frozen. Telling him the truth would destroy Cheryl's fantasy.

She only tries to make him stay put so that she can, effectively, destroy him. Even though she means well, she is ultimately Harry's enemy.
Hexagram
Just Passing Through

Post by Hexagram »

Yeah, Cybil is trying to tell Harry the truth throughout the game. In the hospital she tries to break the news gently but is frozen over, at Lisa's apartment she flat out says "you're not Harry Mason" and is frozen again. When Harry is at the lighthouse, Cheryl is close enough to the truth for Cybil to explain that Harry died in a car crash.
PIE!!!
Cafe5to2 Waitress

Post by PIE!!! »

Yeah, I think Cybil's role was to push Harry closer to the truth. Much like Dr. K's role was to Cheryl.
Wolfwood: Oh yeah, I almost forgot. "Go with the grace and protection of the Lord." It's the usual mantra for the big hero.
Vash the Stampede: Does it work?
Wolfwood: That depends entirely on you.
Vash the Stampede: Some mantra...

-Trigun